Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My Verd'ika - Josh's Kit (NEW pics on page 3 from his first con)

• 48 Replies

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Since I first started lurking around the boards and planning my own kit, I always thought about making a set of armor for my little cousin Josh.  I was always hesitant with the idea because he is a growing boy and I didn't want to spend time and money making something he would grow out of in like a month.

Flash forward to March of 2012 and I figured now is the time to make him a kit.  I have been official for a couple of years now and I felt I had enough  time, money, and skills to tackle another set of armor.  So I spent some time in March and all of April to finish his kit. 

I have a bunch of pictures to show the process. Hopefully this thread can help others build kid size kits.  Things go better the second time around for sure.  I am proud of his armor and he himself just loves it.  So far he has done one event, and he loved posing for pictures.  I think when he is all grown up, he will look at his 8 year old self and remember how much fun he had. Unfortunately, he is too young and I am not his parent or legal guardian so I can't get him official yet. I just hope to pass on the love of Star Wars and Mandos onto him.  Maybe he will troop with me when he reaches 18.  Fingers crossed.  ;D

His favorite color is red so I wanted that to be the main color.  I also love the look of helmet macros so that is what I wanted to add to his kit as well.

I took the small sized WOF templates and printed them out. Then at work I used our fancy copy machine to mess with the scaling of the armor.  I was able to reduce the size of the templates to fit his stature.  I decided to use trashcan plastic for his plates.

Once the plates were cut, I did a quick test fit to make sure they weren't too small.  I wanted them a tad bigger so he had room to grow and to extend the life of the armor.  Sorry for the bad pic.

He is using a black 2 piece "flightsuit".  Basically I went to Walmart and bought a matching pair of pants and a long sleeve button up shirt.  Both the pants and long sleeve are "George" brand clothes just in case people are looking for something similar.

His gloves are just $1 store black mittens. I was thinking about adding a hand plate, but for now he just wears the gloves.

His pair of blasters are $1 store water guns.  I liked the look of them so I bought them back in the day.  They came in handy for his kit.  I figures 2 blasters would be more fun for him rather than a rifle.

Krylon brand paints are what I like to use.  They are available at Walmart and come in a great many variety of colors.  These are the paints I used for this build.  The primer, black, and nickel are what I use for my under layers.  The red and white are obviously the main color layers.

Since he is a growing boy and I loved my helmet, I bought him a Rubies 2 Piece Jango.  I knew it would be kind of big on him and he can grow into it.  I like the bobble head look on the kids.  I had all the supplies needed to make that helmet legit, but sad to say these helmets are crappier than when I bought mine back in the day and it was sort of hard to find one.

After gluing the 2 halves together, adding plastic scraps to the inner seam, bond glassing the inside, and bondoing the outside, I felt the helmet was good enough to paint.  When done with everything helmet related, I added the ear caps, bolted on the custom macros, and black washed it all.  I then padded it with foam like crazy and of course added a new T visor.

The backplate, front plates, and shoulder bells are all made out of the trashcan plastic. The gaunts are cups from the $1 store with extra cup plastic to make that upper part on the guants.

This is all my hard work all laid out on the floor.  The holsters are actually Kraft Mac & Cheese boxes covered in vinyl.  I am quite proud of those. The water gun pistols fit perfectly. The other black items are his pouches. His boot armor is also trachcan plastic just like the other upper pieces.  The greaves are pvc pipes cut in half and cut to that shape.  I was going to do normal knee and shin armor, but I wanted to try the greaves look first.

My awesome sister made Josh's vest out of black ultra suede.  It is nice and thick, but not too heavy and was easy for her to work with. She made little tabs to attach the shoulder bells too and everything was just velcroed on.  We used industrial strength sticky velcro on the armor and sew on velcro on the plates. The cod just hangs on with a longer piece of velcro sewed onto the vest

The kama was made out of red duck cloth.  I like the look of a Clone style kama with a triangle slit on the bottom so that is what she aimed for.  It is actually sewn onto the vest so it is one less thing to worry about when suiting him up.

It's done.  Here he is all suited up and ready for a test run/photo shoot around the house and front yard.

I made the right call, he loves the double pistols.

He is sneaking around the front yard.  I like that the kama flows as he moves.  The greaves are so awesome looking. I love the look it adds to his kit.

I love this shot!

That's my Josh  ;D

So after that test fit, I looked at the pics and analyzed what I needed to fix.  I wanted to widen the white sash ($1 store scarf), get his an actual leather belt, and rivet his armor.  The sash my sister fixed in no time so that was easy to take care of.  Since the old belt kept coming lose and making his belt/holster fall down, I just bought a black leather belt from Target for like $6 and that solved that issue . The main thing I needed to fix was the armor attachment.  As he moved, he plates would sort of pop off and shift.  That looked sloppy so I bought a pop rivet gun and small pop rivets and fixed that issue.  His kit looks so much better now.  When he moves we have no issues.  Him and I are both so happy.

For his front pouches, I have these black box things that I will use.  They are pictured above with all the items laid out.  I need to add straps to add them to the belt.  I will do that this weekend and his armor will be pretty much done.  I will finish it all off with a helmet fan.  Poor little guy heats up fast with the helmet. That's all I have for now.

So what do you all think of his armor?  Say he was my son, do you think his kit would pass the application process?  Thank you all for looking.

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2012, 05:41 PM by Tassone Phoenix » Logged
Tassone Phoenix aka Victoria 

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club: #0333

M5: Mandalorian Mercs Mighty Mini Mando #3

My Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19027.0

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

Verdika's thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51095.0

Viradechtis

• Mando without war is like a starship without space
Re: My Verd'ika - Josh's Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:22 AM »
So fricking cute!

I love how it came out! Cute kid by the way, he's lucky to have such an awesome cousin!

"Mando without war is like a starship without space." Torian Cadera

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:31 AM »
So fricking cute!

I love how it came out! Cute kid by the way, he's lucky to have such an awesome cousin!

Thank you very much!  He is a pretty good kid and he is like my little sidekick.  Lol.  It makes sense to try to get him on the right track with the Mandos  ;)  What's crazy is that it took me over a year to make my kit to where I am at now, but I busted his stuff out in 2 months.  Lol.  Oh well when I first started I had no idea when it came to this costuming stff and I have learned a lot so it was easier the second time.

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

TrooperJasher

• Squiggle me this...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 01:35 AM »
Gotta love those Mini Mandos...

Kote Gra'tua

• On the street arresting your guys
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 01:38 AM »
That's pretty cool.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:38 AM »
That is really special gift ....... He will always remember this .....  Well Done .....  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 01:40 AM »
I'm jealous a youngling already has a better kit than I do.
Great job!

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 02:20 AM »
That is brilliant, he looks very happy with it. Nice one ;)

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 07:47 AM »
He looks great Victoria. He's lucky to have an Aunt like you  ;) .

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 07:49 AM »
Very well done indeed! 

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 08:26 AM »
Now THAT's a cool looking kid!!! Very nice!!  :D

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 09:46 AM »
I sure wish I was able to do this stuff when I was his age.

Lucky.

Very cool of you to hook him up Tass.

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Thanks everyone. Suiting him up and then stepping back to look at it all, was a very proud and happy moment for me. I was so proud, I showed everyone at work and everyone that comes over. Lol. When he grows out of it, I want to stick his whole kit on a child size mannequin so I can still enjoy looking at it.

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 11:47 AM »
When he grows out of it, I want to stick his whole kit on a child size mannequin so I can still enjoy looking at it.

And then you can make him another one!!  :laugh:

Seriously AWESOME work, Tassone. I think I'll use this WIP as my base for when I have my kids. But that's gonna be a loooooooooooooong time from now, though.  :laugh: ;D

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 11:56 AM »
And then you can make him another one!!  :laugh:

Seriously AWESOME work, Tassone. I think I'll use this WIP as my base for when I have my kids. But that's gonna be a loooooooooooooong time from now, though.  :laugh: ;D

Lol. Yep I know he will grow out if this kit eventually, and I will be ready to make another when the time comes. I hope this thread does help others when they tackle child kits. I wanted to talk price, brands, and stores so people know where to look when tackling a kid set of armor.

Again thank you all for the compliments, it means so much. In fact I will show Josh the thread and let him read all the compliments. Thanks :)

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mom2Mando

• Verda Buir
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Fantastic!  I definitly think he would pass the application process.  Love it.

Teresa -  Verda Buir   (and son Dha Buruk)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Love it Vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Thanks for posting this. It will help me alot in my process of making my two mini mando's. He looks great and seems to be enjoying himself alot.

Mav runi

• "Judge me by my size, do you?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 07:49 PM »
This was so well done!!! He did great doing his first troop in it, i hope we get to see him around sometime soon. He's such an awesome kid  ;D

Mav'runi's WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=43880.0
MMCC - 0765  M5 - #4 EMTS - #096 MLCS#13

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 01:45 AM »
Again thank you all for the positive feedback.  Today I installed 2 new fans in Josh's helmet.   Hopefully the little guy won't heat up so fast and can troop just a bit longer.   I would love to take him to all kinds of events, but he is a little boy and gets bored fast.  Thankfully he doesn't throw a fit or anything like that, but he is a kid and likes to be entertained.  I will stick with short events where there are things for little ones to do, that way if he gets bored just posing for pics, my sister can take him to do the other activities.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:48 AM by Tassone Phoenix » Logged

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 04:36 AM »
Wow! That is one awesome kid, and kit! :D

It's a Kidt!! XD

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 01:52 AM »
Wow! That is one awesome kid, and kit! :D

It's a Kidt!! XD

Lol.  Thank you!

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 03:02 AM »
What a stud!  ;) Very cool, Tassone. :D

Adenn Kyram

• There is no such thing as overkill only efficiency
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Thinking of doing one for my 11year old.cousin same time I start my own kit. Some day  ???

M.A. #16-24er , EMTS #90 , M.A.J.I.C. #086 , M5SP #13 , M.A.D # 27 , E.R.A #13 , K.O.M.S#008 , B.O.M.B #19

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 02:44 AM »
What a stud!  ;) Very cool, Tassone. :D

Thank you :)

Thinking of doing one for my 11year old.cousin same time I start my own kit. Some day  ???

For me it was easier to do his kit way later on because I had the experience of doing my set of armor and various upgrades.  I wish you good luck.  I love kids in armor.  Coolest and cutest thing ever.

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!