Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Alta's Bucket

• 181 Replies

Zih'yer Atin

• Sierra Vista, Az
Re: Alta's Bucket
« Reply #175 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Do any of yall know what the right kind of "dark" is or where I can get one?

I've been using these ($9 Hobart with Prime shipping) from amazon and I couldn't be happier with them:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VECKRO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

One note I'll add is that they don't seem easy to heat - bend.  If you need that ability, I can't say these would be good.  Now, keep in mind, I only tried for a couple minutes using a hair dryer.  With an actual heat gun, I'm sure you get could them to respond. 

After I only saw minimal bending with the hair dryer I had the idea to install tabs above the eye - line and then slide the visor up into those tabs.  So.. that's what I did and the tension from the visor trying to be flat, actually created a perfect seal all the way down the T.  I can send pics to "explain" better if you would like. 

Who's driving the boat?

Alta

« Reply #176 on: Feb 01, 2013, 01:58 PM »
Many thanks for the info and the tips! I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Finding anything right now is difficult, so I'll gladly accept any info/help I can get my hands on. Many thanks!  ;D

MMCC #707

Tal Beskad

• This IS my face.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #177 on: Oct 17, 2013, 02:35 AM »
Many thanks for all of the feedback guys! Much appreciated! Sorry I have been absent for a few days. Was working on other parts of the armor and then fatigue caught up to me ^^; In any event, here is an update at last!

This is the head gear mock up (as I'm sure you can tell lol).

I'm thinking that the side flap for the crown piece that rests near the ear cap might need to be trimmed a bit, and slanted perhaps.  Big thing I'll have to tackle is the gap issue. Here's what I'm talking about:

Some of that may be reduced when the rest of the wrap is on the helmet, but it's hard to tell at this point.  The egg shaped dome isn't exactly helping either, or the fact that the crow has to rest on the cloth. Gonna have to find a way to fix that.  Will likely have to make the top part thicker then the bottom.

Anyway, thoughts? Yall think the crown like thing stands too high or is it about right?

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

What's the pattern of the cloth? I NEED THIS

Tomorrow will come, without prayers. The end will come, without hurrying. I live only to be worthy of the corpse I shall leave behind on that day. For the day that I will die.

Alta

« Reply #178 on: Oct 20, 2013, 11:03 AM »
I didn't use a pattern. I just kinda cut it out. I can draw up a quick sketch of kind of how I did it if you'd like. Would that be helpful?

MMCC #707

Tal Beskad

• This IS my face.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #179 on: Oct 20, 2013, 10:53 PM »
I didn't use a pattern. I just kinda cut it out. I can draw up a quick sketch of kind of how I did it if you'd like. Would that be helpful?

That would be splendid, I currently just made a helmet and was wondering if it needed anything else added to it.

Tomorrow will come, without prayers. The end will come, without hurrying. I live only to be worthy of the corpse I shall leave behind on that day. For the day that I will die.

Alta

« Reply #180 on: Nov 09, 2013, 12:44 AM »
That would be splendid, I currently just made a helmet and was wondering if it needed anything else added to it.

I am so, so sorry this took me so long to get to you especially considering that it wasn't a difficult thing to do. Work got crazy and well...yall can guess the rest I'm sure. At any rate, here's a pic of my head shall whatchamacallit all laid out.

It's a very basic pattern, nothing too complicated. It's double sided linen. What I did was I cut out two pieces, sewed it together with the sides I wanted showing on the outside facing each other, turned it inside out, then I glued the raw edges at the top down, and then I glued the now folded edges together to keep stitches from showing (though my crown would have hidden it but meh, whichever). Then I ironed the whole thing nice and flat :) It's attached to my helmet via sticky velcro though I'm sure the part on the head shall could be sewn in if need be but so far it hasn't given me any problems however.

Again, so sorry this took me forever ^^; I hope it helps though. Do let me know if you have anymore questions :) I promise to be more punctual this time ^^;

MMCC #707
« Reply #181 on: Apr 26, 2016, 04:23 PM »
wow. this thread will be really helpfull to me, since im planning on modding this helmet too!

Jedisalamander, OC: Meshura Ordo.

She/They

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!