Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jesse's Soft Parts

• 66 Replies

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Jesse's Soft Parts
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2012, 08:31 PM »
It looks ok-I would advise making it roughly knee length though  :-\    it kinda retains the skirt look a bit much at that length...

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Haran Tracyn

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2012, 08:38 PM »
It's acceptable, though I'd say yeah, either shorten it a little or put some kind of heavier-looking material over it though the belts and stuff may take care of bulking it up.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:18 PM »
Normally I don't like loincloths, but that long one looks ok ;) Just to avoid the skirtiness though I'd reccomend cutting it shorter aswell. I don't think up to the knees though, maybe just halfway up the shins. Also if you put a slit up the back (not as far as the front) too I think that would help.

(man that was bad grammer ??? :P )

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:28 PM »
I cuncur about the slit as well: perhaps halfway up the thighs, well-at least that's how mine is.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Normally I don't like loincloths, but that long one looks ok ;) Just to avoid the skirtiness though I'd reccomend cutting it shorter aswell. I don't think up to the knees though, maybe just halfway up the shins. Also if you put a slit up the back (not as far as the front) too I think that would help.

(man that was bad grammer ??? :P )

yeah, normally I don't care for the loincloths either, but due to some religious preferences, I need to keep it as much like a 'skirt' as possible.

Here's my concept art:

I may slit it up the back, though.

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #30 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Hmm...maybe half-way down the calfs and but a little bit more distance between the loin cloth and kama like in the pic?

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #31 on: Nov 25, 2012, 06:05 AM »
Half way up the shins to just below the knees, that will put it in the sweet spot I think. Also I agree with Dresdon needs some more distance between the Kama and loin cloth, try taking some of the Kama away on each side, still connected at the top as one big piece. Great idea though.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Coreysnaps

• Kaiya Ardellian
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Can you take some away from the sides, maybe?  The length may not actually be a problem if you can take away some of the fabric on the sides.  That would definitely take away some of the skirt feel.  Someone else (I don't remember who) actually made their kama that long, and then buckled it to her ankles.

"...I leave to the discretion of the MMCC merch officer." 

If you have a Supply question, please ask here: Here

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Right Corey.

I was planning on trimming it down on the sides to make it the loincloth and kama look like separate pieces

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Can you take some away from the sides, maybe?  The length may not actually be a problem if you can take away some of the fabric on the sides.  That would definitely take away some of the skirt feel.  Someone else (I don't remember who) actually made their kama that long, and then buckled it to her ankles.

This the one you're thinking of? :

(If so, it's actually taken from the kama style that clone trooper Alpha wears.)

I did a skirt cut up as a temp kama at Celebration 6 with my purple kit; I'll admit the one I used was a bit shorter and had less of the broom skirt look, but once belts and everything are on it becomes less noticeable as a skirt. All of my kamas and loin cloths, even the constructed ones that I didn't make from skirts, are actually one piece, you just can't tell unless it slips below my belt since I make the connecting parts narrow enough they'll be hidden.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Coreysnaps

• Kaiya Ardellian
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Kora, I honestly think your work just sticks in my brain.  lol  I think I've recommended your ab wrap before, too.  At least then I remembered which thread I read it in.  :)

"...I leave to the discretion of the MMCC merch officer." 

If you have a Supply question, please ask here: Here

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2013, 06:03 PM »

:laugh:

Ok, I have more progress!

My wonderful buir (mother) bought me a black shirt, and I promptly ripped it up and re-purposed it.

I pinned the sleeves into the scrub shirt's arm holes like so:

Then I sewed the sleeves together like this: (it's blurry. sorry)

And I got this:

Tada!

Then I had to put on my gloves and gauntlets (excuse the face and hair, please):

Dana Black

• Erlaubt ist, was gefällt
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #37 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Don't worry about the face and hair: you're pretty!
You have no idea what I look like after a day wearing my helmet... I have curls in the morning...

QMU #021

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Looks like it's starting to come together pretty well: one thing  noticed with the laether pouches is that replacing the bottom spike thingy with just a snap on the front outer face is easier to do while wearing gloves-at least for me anyways....its going to be a cuss-fest if you try and put them on a nylon duty belt though, I nearly destroyed the pouches by the time I got the huge pasltic buckle through  :laugh:

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:37 AM »
Don't worry about the face and hair: you're pretty!
You have no idea what I look like after a day wearing my helmet... I have curls in the morning...

Why Thank you! ;D

Looks like it's starting to come together pretty well: one thing  noticed with the laether pouches is that replacing the bottom spike thingy with just a snap on the front outer face is easier to do while wearing gloves-at least for me anyways....its going to be a cuss-fest if you try and put them on a nylon duty belt though, I nearly destroyed the pouches by the time I got the huge pasltic buckle through  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: I'll keep that in mind, Dresdon. Thanks.  :laugh:

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Looking cool  8)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Lilura Amas

• The Squeak'alor
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #41 on: Jul 14, 2014, 11:11 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you ever finished your kit? I LOVE the idea of using an old circle skirt for kama/loin cloth!! That is genius..I'm gonna have to go rummage through my belly dance stuff and see what I can repurpose.

^^^ please excuse typos my smart phone is di'kutula
Mercaholic #122

OM #1178

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #42 on: Jul 16, 2014, 10:18 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you ever finished your kit? I LOVE the idea of using an old circle skirt for kama/loin cloth!! That is genius..I'm gonna have to go rummage through my belly dance stuff and see what I can repurpose.

I haven't finished it, but I haven't given up either! Life has just sort of gotten in the way recently.  :rolleyes: I'm glad you like the skirt idea. ;D

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #43 on: Jul 16, 2014, 10:43 AM »
I haven't finished it, but I haven't given up either! Life has just sort of gotten in the way recently.  :rolleyes: I'm glad you like the skirt idea. ;D

Good to hear your still going.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:04 AM »

I finally DID something!  :laugh: :laugh:

After much procrastination, I took an objective look at what I have to do to finish my kit, and I realized it's not very much. So, with that in mind, I drafted my mom into my service (mwhaha) and made a body form.

Long (and possibly needless) tutorial/walkthrough below:

Bought duct tape: (I ended up with almost half the jumbo roll left, but I'm a pretty small person  :rolleyes:)

Then, after making mom sit through several video tutorials, I said goodbye to a t-shirt, and started the process:

(In case you hadn't noticed, my kid brother had too much fun with the camera  :P)

(ugly face  :-\)

I marked the belly button with a sharpie so I can have some reference when I work with it.

Then we cut it off (a harrowing process, to be sure), and I started stuffing it. We stuffed it with the wrapping paper left over from a rather generous Christmas, and I taped the back little by little as we put stuff in it. Then, at the bottom, we put a piece of cardboard, and a matching piece of Styrofoam board and now it stands up on its own:

And now I can use to very all sorts of things. ;D

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:12 AM »
(ugly face  :-\)

Don't say that! :(

Happy to see this is picking back up! But now I've gotta get in gear myself :rolleyes:

Again, well done! It's a much better form than mine was! :P

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2015, 01:54 AM »
"ugly face"  ok now lets not make this a contest xD

but hot'damn progress!    aaand I still owe you armour for the drawing  :-\

so whatre you using to make the flakvest from?

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2015, 01:11 PM »
Nice to see this picking back up.

Kalyn Solari

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Good to see you back Jesse! Tape form is something I keep finding I need to make my life easier. Looking solid, keep the momentum going ;)

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:14 PM »
It's been a trying day....

But I've made progress. ;D (I Think)

As rather clumsy pattern altering goes, I think it came out ok. It's not as wonky as it looks in the pictures (I just didn't pin it to the mannequin very well), and the only thing that really bugs me is the collar, but that will be over a dark flightsuit and neck seal, and under a collar plate, so I think it will wind up being ok.

It's going to lace down the sides (impractical, I know, but I think it'll look cool  :P). I've got the eyelets and the laces, and I'll hopefully be putting those in tomorrow after watching a lot more video tutorials.  :-X

I'll also be hemming the bottom so it'll look more finished and it won't be quite so long. I just figured I'd better take a break before I came out with a monstrosity instead of something that resembles flak vest.   :laugh: :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!