Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jark'osa Hauza -- Gunslinger of Tattooine

• 13 Replies

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Jark'osa Hauza -- Gunslinger of Tattooine
« on: Aug 25, 2012, 10:49 PM »

Lounging at the Hutt Palace back home

Browsing the Cantina for some local work

Who said Mercenaries can't dance?

Sing it again!  There is a bounty on your head, you know.

Great painting of my home sands

Sand people frighten easily... but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers!

Practicing melee at a Mandalorian Command Center

Lost in thought.

Where am I?   :laugh:

Ahh, Wampa!  It's what's for dinner.

Mmm, Mandalorian!  It's what's for dinner.

Barely escaped that one alive.  And until my next hunt... I'll see you next time!

Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
Re: Jark'osa Hauza -- Gunslinger of Tattooine
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Your Maverick mods came out VERY good. And these pics are awesome! :D

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Jorg Mereel

• There are far worse things awaiting man than death
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Great pics! Congrats!

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Your Maverick mods came out VERY good. And these pics are awesome! :D

Thank you Byrek! :)

Great pics! Congrats!

Thanks Jorg!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Awesome Pics Vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Drake

• OM #0047 BVC Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2012, 01:12 AM »
I didn't get to tell you at CVI, but I find your paint job to be absolutely amazing. How exactly did you accomplish such a weathered look?

[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90
Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2012, 10:27 AM »
I didn't get to tell you at CVI, but I find your paint job to be absolutely amazing. How exactly did you accomplish such a weathered look?

Thank you, Drake!! :)  I'll detail what I did below, and you'll see why Teresa says I painted 1,000 layers lol:

Paint Layers:  primer, metal, topcoats.  (some areas had black between metal & topcoat that showed through).

After painting, I realized that I had TOO MUCH battle damage on my helmet (it looked polka-dotty).. so I sprayed back over parts of it with the topcoat.. giving it a "worn and repainted" look.  It still left a reasonable amount of metal exposed.

The metal was too bright against the topcoat though, and the orange was way too bright.  So I misted Flat Black spray over EVERYTHING to uniformly tone down the contrast.  It ended up adding a gritty look, which worked for what I was going for.  Be careful with this black mist, I went a little overboard on darkening everything by accident.  Denatured Alcohol will scrub off any mess-ups.

I also placed the armor parts on the ground as if I was wearing them, and misted more heavily in a few locations.. to make certain areas look burnt (such as from blaster bolts, missile launches, etc.).

I sprayed a little paint into the spray can's cap, dipped a cheap brush in it, and flung paint at a few locations too, to make it splotchy like oil stains.  Practice this on scrap first.

I used earth-toned pastel chalks to make streaks in some areas and then smeared them in by hand, giving it a dusty look.

To give it a bit more dusty & dirty look, I mixed a clear Window Cleaner (like windex) with Acrylic "Desert Sand" paint.  I tested different shades of tan/brown and proportions of cleaner to paint on some scrap first.  Spray this in a fine-mist spray bottle (such as for cutting hair), and the mixture will stick to the armor (it will run if it's sprayed too thick).  When it dries, you'll just see a transparent, dusty sand look... thicker in some areas than others.

Finally, I matte clear coated all of it.  Wet Sanded with 2000 grit to remove the cloudy appearance.

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Thats...alot of painting  :o

Looks absolutely fabulous tho !

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Thats...alot of painting  :o

Looks absolutely fabulous tho !

Thank you Rokeim! :)  It was a lot of painting, lol.  It took me 4-6 weeks, from primering to weathering everything start-to-finish.  A lot of that is b/c of all the small parts I had, multiple layers, and masking though.  I gave it 1-2 days to dry between each coat.  I don't want to repeat this, lol.

As for weathering soft parts, I wanted them to fit in with the armor, but not look quite as worn as the armor itself.

I used Jacquard Acid Dye to dye the Nomex flight suit (was desert tan, more yellow than it is now) and a mohair girth belt.  The acid dye didn't take to either one of them quite as well as I had hoped, even though I followed the instructions for stovetop dying.  I used a whole box of fabric softener sheets on the flight suit, to "remove the stain-resistance"... who knows if it actually worked.

For all the leather, vinyl, etc. I scrubbed them with Steel wool to tone down the gloss.. then scrubbed them with the Xacto knife (side to side) to add scrapes.  Then I made random short slices in all directions for knicks & dings.

I tried not to tear many holes in the suit, as I was afraid of fraying over time.. but you can use liquid No-Fray to help with that, if you decide to do it.  No-Fray can darken the color in the exposed areas though.

I rubbed the elbows, knees, etc. of my flight suit and parts of my girth belt between the tires of my car, leaving some dark tire grime.

I laid out all my soft parts and interchangedably misted Flat Black and Flat Brown spray paints.  I lightly misted all of it in black to dull down the color, then misted more heavily in more common areas with both colors.  It looked a little too much like paint on the vinyl, so I rubbed it in the grass to spread it.

After those paints dried, I rubbed all the soft parts in the dirt real good.  It toned it down some, but probably wasn't necessary.  I let it all sit for 2 days, then threw it all in the washer on Cold delicate with no detergent.  Then I threw it in the dryer on Delicate with a LOT of dryer sheets.  This removed all the gritty dirt and made it smell good.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Good write up on your weathering technique thanks, I'll definitely be taking a few of those techniques to use for mine :D

Drake

• OM #0047 BVC Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2012, 05:15 PM »
That was quite a detailed explanation of your methods, and far more time-consuming than I had previously thought.  :o

It looks amazing, and after hearing what you went through to accomplish that look, it makes it even more appealing. Good work brother.  8)

[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90
Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2012, 05:24 PM »
  Jarkosa picked everyones brains for a good 2 weeks if i remember right and then rolled all of it into his method he used here, If you're looking to go for an extremely dusty weathered look i don't think you can do much better than what he accomplished. Now that paint scheme though ..... He's like the Jodo Kast to my Fett i tell you! :)

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2012, 07:40 PM »
  Jarkosa picked everyones brains for a good 2 weeks if i remember right and then rolled all of it into his method he used here, If you're looking to go for an extremely dusty weathered look i don't think you can do much better than what he accomplished. Now that paint scheme though ..... He's like the Jodo Kast to my Fett i tell you! :)

I picked everyones brains on everything for my kit LOL.  Thats true about the jodo to boba reference lol.  Inspired by the jawas brown black and orange mostly. :-)

Glad my ramblings and brainpicking could help others :-)

« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2014, 01:08 AM »
I was going back through some posts admiring some of the different Merc's armor and yours really stands out! 

It is outstanding!  Extremely good color combinations and weathering!  Very impressive... GREAT JOB!!!  8)

Boba Dean

"Lau'De Lachlor"

Bucket: 75%
Rifle: 90%
Flight Suit: 100%
Armor: 0% / Legacy Armor
Vest: 100%
Boots: 100%
Other Weapons: 25% / Nintendo Zapper Hybrid
Gaunts: 0%
Kama: 0%
Loin Cloth: 0%
Cape: 0%
Gloves: 100%

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!