Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Celebration VI - Rosen Plaza Issues

• 70 Replies

Chronicler

• Chronicler of the Mandalorians
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Rosen Plaza Issues
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2012, 06:03 PM »
The only issue we had was that we were suppose to have 3 beds instead of two. They reimbursed us for the bed but it did not really solve the issue of being only two beds. We ended up making a bed out of pillows for the third mando to makeup for the loss.

But I myself had a great time at the Rosen and would be happy to be there again.

Brother of Novall Talon
CAT:638
Former Ver'alor of Concordia Clan 2012-2013
Proudly a member of the Mandalorian Mercenaries since 2004
The Chronicler of the Mandalorians
V.O.T.S #28

Demar Falco

• What doesnt kill me...better start running
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #16 on: Aug 26, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Yeah. I cant get the internet to work for more than 5 minutes at a time and it is slow as hell. Plus everything is over priced. 14 dollars for a pizza? I work at tops and make pizzas every day...a pizza that size where i make them is about 7 dollars.....and that is our small. The large at tops will feed 4 people and is only 15 dollars. 3.75 for a soda?!

This alone has made my experience totally worthless

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #17 on: Aug 26, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Internet is kinda sucky, and I had issues with my room key not working for the first room they put us in (the lock on the door turned out to be broken). But they guy they sent up to do that (don't know who he was) was actually really nice and told them to move us 'cause the lock wasn't going to get fixed any time soon and when they moved us to a room really far from the elevator (we were right off it) he called the front desk back and told them to find us one closer. He actually rolled his eyes when he got off the phone with them and was all like "They were like 'Just send the guest down to have them do it' but I figure they have computers right there so they can do it while we're up here 'cause it's just stupid to go all the way back down." lol (Dude was awesome.)

(To give you an idea of how much my internet is sucking, I can't get the LAN connection to work at all when I plug the cable in. And my wireless has gone out 3 times while I was typing this.)

I was actually really careful with my key cards this con. At D*Con I had the same issue of my card getting killed (like an idiot I put it next to my cell phone in my pocket) and found out I couldn't get a replacement since I wasn't on the reservation.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Uloadus Vipera

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #18 on: Aug 26, 2012, 10:45 PM »
The Internet problem was probally because everyone was trying to use the internet at the same time.  They probally dont  have a huge amount of people like this showing up and neediing to use the interneet constantly and Im guessing that they dont charge you for internet connectivity then they are not going to upgrade it just for a convetion that shows up once every couple of years

"I dont judge right or wrong.  I just do my job."

Mereelajum

• "Last Man Standing" - Daniel Logan
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #19 on: Aug 26, 2012, 10:49 PM »
I have to agree with the internet problems.  I've had no issues tonight after most people have left.

Sounds like a plan.....

Formally Mereel A’denla

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #20 on: Aug 26, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Mine was fine most of the days. Tonight it's been dropping every several minutes. Which is weird because I was sitting here going "Huh, everybody is leaving, the internet should be better than it was on the first night."

I just have bad luck with technology recently I think. lol (I mean, my first door lock was broken, the power went out in a store we were at before we left WA despite it being a bright sunny day out, and the computer at another store wouldn't connect to the network when I came in. XD)

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè
« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2012, 02:25 AM »
I ended up checking out of the Rosen Plaza last night. I was made to feel really unwelcome and uncomfortable by the night manager. Thankfully I was able to get a room over at the Rosen Center for the night. I had a better experience there. Much like I had earlier this year when I stayed there for MegaCon. Since I thought it was the Rosen the block of rooms was going to be in for CVI, and wanted to get a feel for how things would work getting to the convention center.

In retrospect I should've looked for another hotel when things really started going bad for me earlier in the weekend. I hated that I had to pay for two hotel rooms for the same night. But, it was a bit worth it to just get away from that place.

Revised Armor
Armor - 0%, Gauntlets - 5%, Helmet - 85%, Soft Goods - 50%
« Reply #22 on: Aug 27, 2012, 03:27 AM »
Sorry to burst your Bubble but I was informed that the next one is in Florida.  They contracted with te Covention Center to do 3 of them here so well We will be heading back to Florida when CVII happens

And is it going to be next year have they said anything about it being next year

Actually, next year will be in Germany, for CE II.  http://www.starwarscelebration.com/Europe/

As far as the next American one, I have not heard anything definite, only rumors of Orlando again.

And, as far as the actual topic of the post, my biggest complaint was the internet issues. I couldn't log on for about 3 hours Friday night.

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #23 on: Aug 27, 2012, 04:14 AM »
Issues we've had:

- Failure to even get internet for 15+ minutes while waiting with the laptop open and all systems running. (other times, it starts immediately)
- Someone must've been accidentally assigned our room number or something because someone tried to get in. Thankfully we had the little flip door latch on.

But the big issues:

- They put a double hold on my card. $450 for the original stay, $112 for 'the first night to ensure my stay', and then dropped another $536 on us. All that meant was that we were $1000 less in our account because they put too many holds on our card. We couldn't use it for like two days. After six phone calls to the hotel to fix the issue, I called my bank and complained and they thankfully sorted it within the hour.

(of course, the next day the bank also freezes my card because I was using it ourside my normal purchase area... after being informed I was in Orlando the day before and using it dozens of times in the days previously. lol)

Oh, the hotel also charged us $30 a head for the Bash buffett, and they only had like three entres (meatballs, chiken wings, chicken strips), and then they turned around and charged us $3.50 for a small glass of any drink, including water and soda. And then gave us tiny--censored- plates.

I'm very NOT impressed with Rosen PLAZA. From what I've heard, the 501st had a great time with the Rosen Center. When they checked in, the staff had little "Welcome 501st" banners hanging from their nametags and such.

Mav Nexu

• The BULL Nexu
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Mando-Tough - Winner of the Celebration VI pushup competition
« Reply #24 on: Aug 27, 2012, 09:12 AM »
The security was a big issue for me. The security guards hassling us about weapons was pointless and we had lots of room key issues. The service was crap too. In 2014 my vote is for the Rosen Center.

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #25 on: Aug 27, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Haven't stayed that the Rosen Plaza before, but I do know the Rosen Centre is a great hotel. I've stayed there multiple times. But from the stories I'm hearing I will definitely not plan a stay anywhere there in the near or far future.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #26 on: Aug 27, 2012, 09:46 AM »
I stayed at the Rosen Center, and that was by far one of the most helpfull and 'well oiled machine' hotels i've ever stayed at.   Valet parking was no-hassle, no issue.  The onsite food was excellent and affordable (sushi omnomnom).  Drinks were standard tourist hotel overprice, so meh there.  The staff was extremely courteous.. i cant stress it any more than to give the Center 5 stars.

BountyhunterQ

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #27 on: Aug 27, 2012, 09:57 AM »
Wow. These issues surprise me. For the Rancor Clan members that stayed at the Plaza, we had a really good experience. The staff was amazing with us. . . VictorVito lost his con pass at one point between the convention and the hotel - the stafff was super helpful and twice two different members came up to us to ask if he'd found it.

I was walking trash out of our room Friday evening (I'm one of those - keep the maid service out of my room since we had so much costuming stuff everywhere) - and one of the maids was getting off the elevator. She says, "Give that to me, I'll handle it for you." I initially told her I could handle it, but she wouldn't hear it.

The guys at the parking booth (not the valets) were great, too.

Yes, the internet was an issue, but I am thinking that with us rushing to upload photos and whatnot, we put quite a strain on their system. At least it was free. The food prices (here, and at the convention) were ridiculous. Other larger conventions I've done (GenCon for example) have inflated prices, but Celebration prices were amazingly high.

I had a blast, though, and would go back to the Rosen Plaza again.

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #28 on: Aug 27, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Honestly, the only problem I had was the lack of internet (wireless or wired) service.  The staff treated us great!  As for food - well, hotel food is almost always overpriced and nasty.  We packed in sandwich stuff, red bull, beer and snacks and did just fine. Also, we checked out Sunday AM but they held my kit for me and let us stay parked until after the con!

IG  -  @mandodrummer1
FB  -  https://www.facebook.com/mandodrummer1
Band stuff IG - @tommyfrenzyrules
Band stuff FB - https://www.facebook.com/tommyfrenzyrules/

Ulrik Kanteer

• Conquer your fear......or die a coward
  • Awards 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #29 on: Aug 27, 2012, 12:17 PM »
I think the only issue for us was the internet but I'm used to it and i blame Rennick i know  he was bog ging  down the internet with his uploading of photos it's ok ner vod we don't fully blame you . You know i couldn't help myself  but mostly the Rosen wasn't bad for us until we went to check out they tried to charge us for valet parking but waived it when i explained we didn't use the valet but i can only speak for our experience as it seems others were not as fortunate

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!