Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Celebration VI - Rosen Plaza Issues

• 70 Replies

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Rosen Plaza Issues
« Reply #30 on: Aug 27, 2012, 02:58 PM »
I tried to go down and grab one of those luggage carts from the lobby to carry down birthday bash supplies and was informed that I had to have a bellhop drive the thing for me... Like I needed a luggage cart license or something... and of course I'm then obligated to tip the guy.  I just wanted to move my own luggage, sheesh.

-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #31 on: Aug 27, 2012, 03:25 PM »
I was across I-4 from you guys in the Quality Inn Universal Suites (at 47.00 per night--really nice suites with free parking), and I couldn't get any sleep from hearing all the complaining you Rosen people were doing!  ;D

Although I did catch a glimpse of Bio walking around in his tighty-whities, through his hotel window...quite a thrill for me, I might add.... :P

Rob

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2012, 03:27 PM by Ohl'd Vart » Logged
Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus
« Reply #32 on: Aug 27, 2012, 03:26 PM »
I stayed at the Rosen Center for MegaCon I had a very good stay. I ended up going there for the Saturday night and had a good stay. They apologized greatly for my problems with the Rosen Plaza. Where at the Rosen Plaza I was blamed for the problems, not to mention a comment from the night manager about not wanting the Star Wars folks there. The two Rosen hotels are owned by the same person, they also own a third hotel that is a much more expensive hotel on International.

I was a bit amazed that the Rosen Center had better prices for food. Given from what I was told by one of the managers at the Rosen Plaza, the Center is a higher tier hotel. I suggest that once it is confirmed if their will be another Celebration in Orlando we look into getting a deal with the Rosen Center. Based on the part of the convention center that the event was in the Center is much closer. That would cut down the time to walk to and from the convention center in armor if need be in the hot humid Autumn weather of Florida.

At first I felt a bit bad about starting this thread, that was done in part from my issues with the hotel. I feel better now that it is place for those who had problems and didn't to give input about the hotel.

Revised Armor
Armor - 0%, Gauntlets - 5%, Helmet - 85%, Soft Goods - 50%

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #33 on: Aug 27, 2012, 03:38 PM »
I stayed at the Rosen Center for MegaCon I had a very good stay. I ended up going there for the Saturday night and had a good stay. They apologized greatly for my problems with the Rosen Plaza. Where at the Rosen Plaza I was blamed for the problems, not to mention a comment from the night manager about not wanting the Star Wars folks there. The two Rosen hotels are owned by the same person, they also own a third hotel that is a much more expensive hotel on International.

I was a bit amazed that the Rosen Center had better prices for food. Given from what I was told by one of the managers at the Rosen Plaza, the Center is a higher tier hotel. I suggest that once it is confirmed if their will be another Celebration in Orlando we look into getting a deal with the Rosen Center. Based on the part of the convention center that the event was in the Center is much closer. That would cut down the time to walk to and from the convention center in armor if need be in the hot humid Autumn weather of Florida.

At first I felt a bit bad about starting this thread, that was done in part from my issues with the hotel. I feel better now that it is place for those who had problems and didn't to give input about the hotel.

But in the meantime...some of us will be hoping, and praying that it's not in Orlando again....just saying :)

« Reply #34 on: Aug 27, 2012, 04:30 PM »
I had absolutely no problems with internet, food prices, or even staff....but then again I live in Orlando and all I had to do was drive 20 minutes. My only complaint was the parking fee for the convention center. I didn't wish to pay $13 to park! I was trying to get a friend who works at SeaWorld to pick me up and drop me off, but I ended up parking at Pointe Orlando. And I hope Celebration is here again! Simply because I am poor as hell and can't afford to fly around and stay in hotels. =P Lucky me! And Im curious, did anyone at all stay in the Peabody Hotel?

"If you must know well picture this. Fifty billion rainbows and the sun is setting and the moon is setting also and you're there in a gazebo and then God descends from Heaven and gives you a million dollars. Take that feeling and put into a song"

"A moment seen through those eyes, crystal blue disguise. They say that all beauty must die. I say it just moves on."

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #35 on: Aug 27, 2012, 04:43 PM »
I had absolutely no problems with internet, food prices, or even staff....but then again I live in Orlando and all I had to do was drive 20 minutes. My only complaint was the parking fee for the convention center. I didn't wish to pay $13 to park! I was trying to get a friend who works at SeaWorld to pick me up and drop me off, but I ended up parking at Pointe Orlando. And I hope Celebration is here again! Simply because I am poor as hell and can't afford to fly around and stay in hotels. =P Lucky me! And Im curious, did anyone at all stay in the Peabody Hotel?

Yeah, well...others are poor too, and you all have had it for two years no...it's our turn.

« Reply #36 on: Aug 27, 2012, 06:40 PM »
I tried to go down and grab one of those luggage carts from the lobby to carry down birthday bash supplies and was informed that I had to have a bellhop drive the thing for me... Like I needed a luggage cart license or something... and of course I'm then obligated to tip the guy.  I just wanted to move my own luggage, sheesh.

I had this issue while I was trying to check-out. I felt like they thought I would steal the thing from them. Although, the bellhop was very friendly and out-going, so no issue with him personally.

« Reply #37 on: Aug 27, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Yeah, well...others are poor too, and you all have had it for two years no...it's our turn.
The Western side of the US always has all the best stuff. We need something too!

"If you must know well picture this. Fifty billion rainbows and the sun is setting and the moon is setting also and you're there in a gazebo and then God descends from Heaven and gives you a million dollars. Take that feeling and put into a song"

"A moment seen through those eyes, crystal blue disguise. They say that all beauty must die. I say it just moves on."

Veman Gilamar

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #38 on: Aug 27, 2012, 08:56 PM »
My only issue with the Rosen Plaza was starting Saturday afternoon the internet was spotty at best. However I was surprised to see no extra fee for the internet. Other than that I have no complaints, I had a great time. Definately enjoyed myself at the Darkside Grotto!
         Oh I did hear two employees who where less than happy about us being their, they said something like: I'm so sick of this, and we have to deal with them till Monday. I got a laugh out of it.

Arch

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #39 on: Aug 27, 2012, 09:13 PM »
Our experience at the Rosen Plaza was fine. The staff sure didn't appreciate us in particular, but I guess I can see why a bunch of folks in costume might seem like trouble. I am sure we've proven them wrong at every Orlando-based Celebration.

The wifi was slow, but I didn't mind. It was free, after all. Had it been a paid thing, I would have been upset.

The pool and hot tub were great.

The staff we dealt with were alright, though when checking in (in full kit), we were referred to a different associate. I think the guy who was starting to check us in was going to crack up laughing. :P Nonetheless, the staff were courteous in our dealings. At one point, Chro tried to walk through the lobby in his helmet and was told very politely to remove it. Everything was fine. :)

We're used to PortCon, a relatively small convention in our home state based in a hotel. The convention fills the hotel's rooms with paying customers every year, and for that they are grateful, I'd wager. The staff absolutely loves us, and we don't cause all that much fuss.

The Rosen Plaza is jaded, I think. They're used to a full hotel. Crazy costume kids are nothing special in their eyes, I guess.

By the looks of it, the Rosen Centre hotel had a skywalk to the convention center. Is this true? Such a thing would've been glorious; the morning walks to the main door in full kit were kind of rough. We Mainers are thick-blooded and warm up quickly. ;)

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2012, 09:16 PM by Arch » Logged

Prometheus

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #40 on: Aug 27, 2012, 10:18 PM »
The staff was ok with us, nothing special. My room key stopped working and I had to get my fiance to tell them it was ok to give me a key(room was in her name). We were with Mav when we got confronted about the weapons. We stayed at the center for CV and they were awesome, friendlier, and a closer walk.

Vult Tavik

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Boba and Jango
« Reply #41 on: Aug 27, 2012, 10:44 PM »
We actually had a really pleasant stay and the service was good. The food was good and we ended up eating most of our meals there. We had dinner at Jacks one night and the wife claims it was the best steak she has ever had (mine was almost that good too).

Drago Seron

• Butcher of Endor
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #42 on: Aug 28, 2012, 07:43 AM »
We actually paid for a roll away...was denied said roll away...then was billed for said roll away while being told (after showing my email which detailed said roll away was included) that they couldn't give it to us without dropping yet another $60. The con was great but fighting for something I paid for did bring the hotel down a few notches for me.

DragoSeron3copy by Doc Kruzer, on Flickr

Horsemen-WAR

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #43 on: Aug 28, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Well, you can take it to the bank that Rosen Plaza will be getting a not-very-nice letter from me.  2 wake-ups at midnight over the moving truck, giving someone else our room, and our room keys getting turned off really chapped my hide.

On the plus side, we were in the same hotel as the Fett actors, and hung out with them several times during the week. 

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #44 on: Aug 28, 2012, 12:55 PM »
Wow,,, I'm REALLY glad my wife made me rent a house. I have NO patience for that kind of osik, and probably would have exploded.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!