Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ghes Orade armor

• 16 Replies

Dar'manda

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 50 official invasions.
Ghes Orade armor
« on: Apr 26, 2012, 11:31 AM »
Okay everyone, I have been commissioned to build a Ghes Orade armor for a future member and I wanted to get your thoughts on the subject.

The only picture I was able to find was this one

Does anyone have any more information about this guy?

I kinda need to know what his lower half and back look like.

Thanks

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Ghes Orade armor
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2012, 01:46 PM »
The armor in the photo reflects and builds upon the basic explanation in the LotF novels. He was essentially descibed as wearing red armor with family sigils/markings on it. That was the end of it.

Karen Traviss has stated in interviews that in her mind, her characters were all wearing basic Jango armor coverage, medium Modern Era armor.

There have been a couple of other members over the years discuss this armor but, Ive never seen anything beyond the discussion an planning phase come to fruition.

What we would be looking for from an APP Team perspective is, adherance to the known artwork. The area's not shown will have some room for interpretation but, should meet medium armor coverage... ie, backplate should be Modern Era backplate, not a cape. Modern Era Fett knee's. Shins as well. If you wanted to adapt the shape of the shins to match the custom aspects of the thigh plates, that would be acceptable as well.

From what's seen in the photo, we will be looking for...

1. Helmet: Jango style Modern era helmet with RF
2. Custom chestplate design
3. the ab canisters and shoulder canisters and pouches.
4. Custom belt and pouches
5. The custom shaped thigh plates.
6. brown leather holster ont he left leg.
7. the weapon in the holster is open to interpretation but, the exposed portions should match the artwork as much as possible.
8. The gaunts are pretty well blocked out, you could attempt the design based upon the limited view of them or, standard Fett gaunts as well.
9. matching paint apps to the artwork not the figure
10. No jetpack

Here are some images of the Dred Priest figure produced by Hasbro. Has some more views of some of the custom leather and accessories that are essentially the same as the image.

Hope that helps!

Dar'manda

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Ok, wonderful

I think standard shins would look fine and the boba/jango gaunts too.

I already have an idea for the canisters, but the belt and pouches have to match the art work?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2012, 03:57 PM »
On a canon character, yes they would.  8)

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2012, 03:58 PM »
... Sounds legit, man.

Best of luck!  :P

Dar'manda

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Noted. I will be updating this post as I go along

Fenrir Bralor

• All right. Let's go.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2012, 10:15 PM »
Still voicing my tiny protest that the chest armor is Tom Hodge's artistic interpretation of existing Fett armor and not a custom design.

LOL I know we have to match to artwork but I gotta speak my mind.

Ignore me, I know this has been addressed and definitively answered. I just can't help it. LOL :laugh:

Hondo Karr

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Noted but, look at the toys chestplates. They match the artwork... or vice versas. It can be done and for a canon character should be. It would be like saying a canon accurate Clone Wars Deathwatch can be made with standard Jango plates.

Fenrir Bralor

• All right. Let's go.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2012, 10:40 PM »
Oh I know. It's just that I've seen drawings of Tom's that have had Jango and Boba both with chestplates drawn almost exactly the same as they are in this art of Ghes. As for CW DW, there are obvious departures from Fett plates in quite a few places, so I agree that Jango plates couldn't be used, at least not without significant modification.

It's more a protest about the art itself than the decision to follow it. Not saying he's a bad artist (because I totally don't think that) it's just that... the stylization should have been taken with a grain of salt, especially by Hasbro.  ;D

EDIT: I also find it particularly amusing that Hasbro went out of its way to custom build a new chest for this but they'll totally kit bash Jodo Kast. I understand they've gotta save money and cut corners, but why make the effort here and not for other areas on other figures? LOL

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2012, 10:44 PM by Fenrir Bralor » Logged

Dar'manda

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2012, 12:01 AM »
I agree, like even jangos armor in the clone wars looks just like the deathwatch armor just not painted the same

Hondo Karr

« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2012, 10:04 AM »
I agree, like even jangos armor in the clone wars looks just like the deathwatch armor just not painted the same

When I did miss an image of Jango from TCW? Honestly, Ive been watching for something like that religiously and haven't seen it! The helmet was DW style with an RF... so while I owuldnt expect him to have the thighplate holsters, I would expect the rest of the armor to be drawn in the same shape/style.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2012, 04:38 PM »
When I did miss an image of Jango from TCW? Honestly, Ive been watching for something like that religiously and haven't seen it! The helmet was DW style with an RF... so while I owuldnt expect him to have the thighplate holsters, I would expect the rest of the armor to be drawn in the same shape/style.

I mean...there's no way of knowing that though...
Maybe we'll find out in a flashback or something one day.

Ca'tra Firaxan

• Proud procrastinator since 2013
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:33 PM »
I think there was a few episodes with boba in some of jango's armor like chestplates and stuff.

Dar'manda

« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:35 PM »
nope, but we did see what we can assume was Jango's helmet in one scene that was rigged as a bomb and it looked like the other death watch buckets

Dar'manda

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:36 AM »
yea, the point is its all artist style. If the deathwatch were to appear in a live action movie they would look like Jango Fett did in AOTC just with different paint.

Dar'manda

« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:09 AM »
yup

Dar'manda

« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:52 AM »
I have to remind him to start this armor lol  I got 2 friends official this year and 2 more on the way. He would be the 5th

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!