Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Apex Carid's WIP (Dragon Con 2015 Updates)

• 171 Replies
Apex Carid's WIP (Dragon Con 2015 Updates)
« on: Oct 20, 2012, 05:29 PM »
So long story short, I have decide to make a set of beskar'gam out of sintra. After exploring the forums for awhile, i figured that it is a good time to start. It will be a modern era kit with (hopefully) an assassin helmet. Any suggestions are welcome.
Here's the pics:

Helmet:

Suggestion? Constructive criticism? Thanks!

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2015, 05:31 PM by Apex Carid » Logged

Drax Mastruk

• FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES... After they are all slain..
Re: Apex Carid's First WIP!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Looks great! Loving the gold trim, vod! :D

M.A.J.I.C. #065
M.A. #069

"Call to the gods if I cross your path, my silhouette hangs like a body bag. Hope is a moment now long past. The shadow of Death is the one I cast."

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Nice vod ;) Personally i would shy away from an outline on your plates ;) but its just a personal thing and if you are happy then thatís whatís important ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Thanks! I think I'm going to keep the gold, but not on every piece (probably just the larger ones). Anything else I can fix?

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Nope looks cool ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Drax Mastruk

• FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES... After they are all slain..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2012, 03:02 PM »
Careful around the cod piece, though.. Don't wanna draw to much attention to your goods.... Or maybe ya do.. Your call (^_^)

M.A.J.I.C. #065
M.A. #069

"Call to the gods if I cross your path, my silhouette hangs like a body bag. Hope is a moment now long past. The shadow of Death is the one I cast."
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Haha okay. Does anyone know where to get an assassin helmet? I know nme props sells them, but I have heard some bad things about him. Is there anywhere else, or is it alright to get one from nme?

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Also, I found this video to form plates out of sintra. it looks good, but I have two questions:
First off, is this the right way?
Second, how do I make the mold?

This might seem like a lot of questions, but want to make sure I get everything right.

Grimmjack

• I didn't do it.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2012, 07:00 PM »
I know a great many people like Rub N Buff and I know that a little bit of it goes a long way but the point of laying down primer is so that the paint has something to bond to other than the non porous surface.  When I am working with plastic I am really thank full for plastic bonding paints.  Though I do like sandable primers because of the finish it can give a project.  I haven't painted armor plates yet just a little restoration of auto bodies and some stage props, but I would save the RubNBuff for small projects.

Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Good concept, looking forward to seeing your progress.

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Thanks! So how are the molds made for shaping the sintra?

« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Thanks! Where's the best place to buy sintra?

Vindar Falco

• Honor, Valor and Integrity
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Ok I love working with sintra, I buy all of mine for a nice sheet for a low price on Ebay. (around $20, $10 if you are really really lucky) and to answer your helmet question, Last time I was told there is a hold but that was a while ago. A guy known as Ithica sell's em now.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2012, 03:00 PM »
So I haven't been able to work on my armor at all cuz of school work, but I found sintra for a good price on ebay. Is this the right type? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintra-PVC-Closed-Cell-Foam-Sheet-1-8-x-24-x-48-White-/360455947847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ecd94647

Grimmjack

• I didn't do it.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:21 PM »
16$ and then 16$ for shipping?
I would look for a plastics supplier local to you or a sign shop that will sell you a sheet.  Chances are it won't be more than 40$

Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!