Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Apex Carid's WIP (Dragon Con 2015 Updates)

• 171 Replies
Apex Carid's WIP (Dragon Con 2015 Updates)
« on: Oct 20, 2012, 05:29 PM »
So long story short, I have decide to make a set of beskar'gam out of sintra. After exploring the forums for awhile, i figured that it is a good time to start. It will be a modern era kit with (hopefully) an assassin helmet. Any suggestions are welcome.
Here's the pics:

Helmet:

Suggestion? Constructive criticism? Thanks!

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2015, 05:31 PM by Apex Carid » Logged

Drax Mastruk

• FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES... After they are all slain..
Re: Apex Carid's First WIP!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Looks great! Loving the gold trim, vod! :D

M.A.J.I.C. #065
M.A. #069

"Call to the gods if I cross your path, my silhouette hangs like a body bag. Hope is a moment now long past. The shadow of Death is the one I cast."

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Nice vod ;) Personally i would shy away from an outline on your plates ;) but its just a personal thing and if you are happy then that’s what’s important ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Thanks! I think I'm going to keep the gold, but not on every piece (probably just the larger ones). Anything else I can fix?

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Nope looks cool ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Drax Mastruk

• FORGIVE YOUR ENEMIES... After they are all slain..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2012, 03:02 PM »
Careful around the cod piece, though.. Don't wanna draw to much attention to your goods.... Or maybe ya do.. Your call (^_^)

M.A.J.I.C. #065
M.A. #069

"Call to the gods if I cross your path, my silhouette hangs like a body bag. Hope is a moment now long past. The shadow of Death is the one I cast."
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Haha okay. Does anyone know where to get an assassin helmet? I know nme props sells them, but I have heard some bad things about him. Is there anywhere else, or is it alright to get one from nme?

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Also, I found this video to form plates out of sintra. it looks good, but I have two questions:
First off, is this the right way?
Second, how do I make the mold?

This might seem like a lot of questions, but want to make sure I get everything right.

Grimmjack

• I didn't do it.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2012, 07:00 PM »
I know a great many people like Rub N Buff and I know that a little bit of it goes a long way but the point of laying down primer is so that the paint has something to bond to other than the non porous surface.  When I am working with plastic I am really thank full for plastic bonding paints.  Though I do like sandable primers because of the finish it can give a project.  I haven't painted armor plates yet just a little restoration of auto bodies and some stage props, but I would save the RubNBuff for small projects.

Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Good concept, looking forward to seeing your progress.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Thanks! So how are the molds made for shaping the sintra?

« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Thanks! Where's the best place to buy sintra?

Vindar Falco

• Honor, Valor and Integrity
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Ok I love working with sintra, I buy all of mine for a nice sheet for a low price on Ebay. (around $20, $10 if you are really really lucky) and to answer your helmet question, Last time I was told there is a hold but that was a while ago. A guy known as Ithica sell's em now.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2012, 03:00 PM »
So I haven't been able to work on my armor at all cuz of school work, but I found sintra for a good price on ebay. Is this the right type? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintra-PVC-Closed-Cell-Foam-Sheet-1-8-x-24-x-48-White-/360455947847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ecd94647

Grimmjack

• I didn't do it.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:21 PM »
16$ and then 16$ for shipping?
I would look for a plastics supplier local to you or a sign shop that will sell you a sheet.  Chances are it won't be more than 40$

Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Thanks. I will hopefully be going to a sign shop soon, and I will hopefully start working by Thanksgiving (school break!  :D). Anyways, I found some good boots, but they might be too... rubbery.

Vindar Falco

• Honor, Valor and Integrity
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Yea I have the same things, They are rain booots right. they hurt your feet after a while, if they are anything like mine.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2012, 09:38 AM »
App Team will gig those boots on the "overall quality clause". They won't pass. Best to use some type of proper leather boot.

Than'del Coret

• Ner vode ja'hailir - My brother's keeper
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Before you go buying sentra on fleabay I suggest you go looking for a local sign shop. Alot of times they will have scrap pieces that you can get for super cheap or even free. That's how I got mine. Oh and make nice with the sign people, may lead to friendly prices. ;)

No matter how great of a warrior you are, eventually, everyone needs saving.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2012, 01:26 AM »
What Falin said.

« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:34 PM »
App Team will gig those boots on the "overall quality clause". They won't pass. Best to use some type of proper leather boot.

Ok, that's what I expected. It was just a pair of boots I found in my garage, so no disappointment.
Before you go buying sentra on fleabay I suggest you go looking for a local sign shop. Alot of times they will have scrap pieces that you can get for super cheap or even free. That's how I got mine. Oh and make nice with the sign people, may lead to friendly prices. ;)

Ya, from what I heard, that's my best bet. Unfortunately, when I went to a local sign shop, it was closed down  :(  Anybody know a good one in the Marietta, GA area?

« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2012, 09:33 PM »
I found a good place to order online for a good price, so the plastic should be here sometime next week. Meanwhile, I will cut out the templates and tape them on. I will load up some pics soon  :D

« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2012, 05:47 PM »
I decided to scrap the red and black idea as it seems that many people use it. Instead, I decided to use green.

Thoughts? Criticism?

Coder

« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2012, 06:20 PM »
I like the green better. I actually found a great green to use, Krylon Italian Olive. I used it on my WIP on the armor forum if you would like to see how it looks weathered.

Than'del Coret

• Ner vode ja'hailir - My brother's keeper
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2012, 11:11 PM »
I don't know what it is but I like to see people incorporate unusual colors in their armor, purple being one of them. Great design too.

No matter how great of a warrior you are, eventually, everyone needs saving.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!