OK, so I decided to start on my J2P Wip here!
I figure'd it would be a good starting point and was pretty much what I could afford
So, here we go...
I am basing my build on a couple of tutorials from TDH:http://bcm00vist405.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/rubies-2-piece-helmet-tutorial.pdf
(and converted to .pdf
First think I did was the keyholes and sanding down the moulding spot on the back of the dome:
(I know the top one is larger than the others... there's a plan for that!
Next, I removed the crappy lens by dremeling off all of the nubs (I left a few in place to help with alignment when I get the green welding visor cut)
Instead of replacing the cheeks to get the nice flat look they are supposed to have, I figured I would try the reinforcing method first...
So here goes...
1. Cheek reinforcement:
I created a template
that would reinforce the cheeks and keep them from twisting,
In the picture above you can see that I marked both cheeks with a line where the bottom of the template will line up (about 3/4 " from bottom.
Here is the brace I cut out of a plastic bucket against the WOF base alignment template to make sure I got the angle right:
I made jigs out of scrap 1x4's, the back pieces are just squared off and the front is rounded to match the profile of the top curve of the cheeks:
Each jig uses 3 screws to give even pressure to hold the cheeks flat (2 on top and 1 slightly higher in the middle on the bottom) I also added a couple of scrap pieces of 1/8" hardiboard to create a really good "pinch"
I also made an extra brace out of a piece of coat hanger that fits into holes drilled into the hardiboard to hold the braces at the right angle while the parts are drying:
3. Reinforcement installation:
Next, I roughed up the interior surface of the cheeks and the back side of the brace with 60 grit sandpaper (THIS IS IMPORTANT! The epoxy will NOT stick to the smooth surface, trust me I found out the hard way
), cleaned all parts with mineral spirits (to remove the label on the brace and clean the inside of the cheeks after sanding), then wipe everything down really good with rubbing alcohol. (do this in a well ventilated area, those fumes can be strong!
Now, I epoxied the brace in place, aligning it with the marks I made on the cheeks earlier (adding 3 additional alignment marks around the edge to make sure you get things straight will help)
And braced with the jigs:
Once it dried I cleaned up the bottom edge to remove any epoxy that squeezed out while the jigs were in place and made braces out of Hardiboard that matches the lower profile of the cheeks and epoxied them in place:
(you can also see the additional alignment marks I made here
I also have the craft ring glued together and shaped to fit around the keyholes, in my case I thought the 9" craft ring actually works better than the 10" one (10" makes the bottom flare out too much IMHO!
More to come! Thanks for visiting!