Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Jaa'det 1st Buy'ce... NEW WIP! (Pic Heavy!!)  (Read 27857 times)

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
    • Awards
Jaa'det 1st Buy'ce... NEW WIP! (Pic Heavy!!)
« on: Nov 13, 2012, 12:30 PM »
OK, so I decided to start on my J2P Wip here!  ;D
 I figure'd it would be a good starting point and was pretty much what I could afford  :rolleyes:

So, here we go...

I am basing my build on a couple of tutorials from TDH:

http://bcm00vist405.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/rubies-2-piece-helmet-tutorial.pdf

and

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/converting-rubies-2-piece-jango-esb-boba-my-take-39845/
(and converted to .pdf)

First think I did was the keyholes and sanding down the moulding spot on the back of the dome:

(I know the top one is larger than the others... there's a plan for that! 8) )

Next, I removed the crappy lens by dremeling off all of the nubs (I left a few in place to help with alignment when I get the green welding visor cut)

Instead of replacing the cheeks to get the nice flat look they are supposed to have, I figured I would try the reinforcing method first...
So here goes...

1. Cheek reinforcement:
I created a template that would reinforce the cheeks and keep them from twisting,
In the picture above you can see that I marked both cheeks with a line where the bottom of the template will line up (about 3/4 " from bottom.

Here is the brace I cut out of a plastic bucket against the WOF base alignment template to make sure I got the angle right:

2. Jigs:
I made jigs out of scrap 1x4's, the back pieces are just squared off and the front is rounded to match the profile of the top curve of the cheeks:

Each jig uses 3 screws to give even pressure to hold the cheeks flat (2 on top and 1 slightly higher in the middle on the bottom) I also added a couple of scrap pieces of 1/8" hardiboard to create a really good "pinch"

I also made an extra brace out of a piece of coat hanger that fits into holes drilled into the hardiboard to hold the braces at the right angle while the parts are drying:

3. Reinforcement installation:
Next, I roughed up the interior surface of the cheeks and the back side of the brace with 60 grit sandpaper (THIS IS IMPORTANT! The epoxy will NOT stick to the smooth surface, trust me I found out the hard way :-[), cleaned all parts with mineral spirits (to remove the label on the brace and clean the inside of the cheeks after sanding), then wipe everything down really good with rubbing alcohol. (do this in a well ventilated area, those fumes can be strong!  :P)
Now, I epoxied the brace in place, aligning it with the marks I made on the cheeks earlier (adding 3 additional alignment marks around the edge to make sure you get things straight will help)
And braced with the jigs:

Once it dried I cleaned up the bottom edge to remove any epoxy that squeezed out while the jigs were in place and made braces out of Hardiboard that matches the lower profile of the cheeks and epoxied them in place:
(you can also see the additional alignment marks I made here

I also have the craft ring glued together and shaped to fit around the keyholes, in my case I thought the 9" craft ring actually works better than the 10" one (10" makes the bottom flare out too much IMHO!

More to come!  Thanks for visiting!  ;D
<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

• Awards
Re: Jaa'det 1st Buy'ce... NEW WIP! (Pic Heavy!!)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:01 AM »
Tiny update...

So this is what the cheeks look like after the bracing was installed:

IMHO I believe it looks much better  ;D, also with the additional bracing it pulls the sides out making the profile much more accurate
(you can see how it lines up better with the WOF helmet template underneath)
Also, by keeping the original structure without cutting out parts to replace the cheek inserts the integrity is kept intact!  ;D
<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Ran

• Formerly 'Ranovla Ramser'
  • I reject your canon, and substitute my own.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2012, 12:54 AM »
Awesome! I love it when people change the cheeks, it looks to corny when they leave them curved the way they are. I'll be following this one.

Helmet WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

droodles

• Good to GO
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2012, 01:18 AM »
I'm confused. Instead of replacing the cheeks you just flattened them?

If that's right then pretty awesome idea. Much better than cutting and gluing IMO.
Like my gear? PM or email me yo!
You can see my Mando stuff here:  http://sdrv.ms/WKihMo
Email me if I don't respond promptly to PMs.

Helmet WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=57306.0

Jaa'det Otxoa

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Awesome! I love it when people change the cheeks, it looks to corny when they leave them curved the way they are. I'll be following this one.

Thanks vod, I thought changing the cheeks was important, every other bucket that I have come across has flat cheeks   :rolleyes: even the Rubie's 1-piece Jango (I have one of those too)!  :P These masks were probably molded with the cheeks flat from the factory but because of the thickness of the plastic and the way they ship them with the back of the dome inverted into the front it deforms the cheeks... Figured this was the easier and more stable way of fixing a design flaw!

I'm confused. Instead of replacing the cheeks you just flattened them?

If that's right then pretty awesome idea. Much better than cutting and gluing IMO.
Yep, just flattened them, thought it was a better idea rather than cutting the cheeks out, fitting new ones, hoping the seams don't fail, bondoing, sanding, blah, blah, blah  ???... well you get the idea.  I always say K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple & STABLE! I feel this method keeps from adding another failure point to the somewhat flimsy material  ;D.

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:23 AM »
Update time!

Got the 2 halves of the dome epoxied together and the reinforcement for the back in place...

First step was to glue the bucket together, I roughed up all surfaces/edges that would be mating with 60 grit sandpaper, wiped down with alcohol and epoxied the halves together.
(BTW, if anybody is curious I am using Gorilla 5 Minute Epoxy for this  ;D)
Once I finally got the pins and edges aligned (pain in the shebs!! :P) I taped the halves together using painters tape being sure to pull the tape as tight as I could without tearing it, also to make sure the edges under the earcaps set well I used a couple of clamps to hold things tight while they dried and wrapped a short length of coat hanger around the larger "pins" on the right earcap:

Now that the dome is one piece it's time to start adding more reinforcement:

To reinforce the back edge and get the shape of the bucket right I grabbed a 9" bamboo craft ring and glued the 2 halves together with wood glue
Once dried I used my trusty dremel to cut a notch in the ring to allow the ring to fit snug under the keyholes in the back of the buy'ce:

I think I mentioned this earlier but, I used the 9" ring as opposed to the 10" because it more closely matches the angle created when using the WOF templates...

Next, I cut the ring in half (line up the notch on the keyholes and cut a little longer than you need so that the ring goes just past the back inner edge of the earcaps)
and clamped the cut ring into place and mark exactly where the ring meets the back edge of the earcaps:

Once marked, I used a straight edge to make a straight line from one mark to the other, as well as adding a 45o bevel on the inner layer of the glued craft rings, then cut and sanded all inner edges (any place that will not be touching the inside of the bucket):
Finished reinforcement ring and end detail:

Now that the reinforcement is cut, smoothed and test fit, both surfaces are roughed up with 60 grit, glued together and clamped.
(This time I opted for E6000 as opposed to the Gorilla epoxy, BTW, be sure things are well ventilated when using this stuff! ???)
Be sure that you align the front edge of the reinforcing ring to make sure things are nice and straight:
Clamped and aligned:

NEXT:
More reinforcement! (Earcaps & Dome)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Reinforcement time!

Ear reinforcement to be more specific...

For the reinforcement on the ear caps I decided to go with the hardiboard again, why? structural rigidity!!   ;D

So I traced out the inside of the ear caps using posterboard to make a template for the hardiboard
(CLICK HERE for a .pdf version of the templates I made, the scale is 1 block = 1/2")
Once I cut them out and cleaned them up a bit I test fit to make sure things lined up (center cut out is made to go around the alignment tab molded into the helmet)
Test fit good, I drilled a 3/16" hole through the Left ear cap (& reinforcement plate), 1/2" down & 1/4" forward of the center seam, then, on the Right ear cap I drilled a 3/16" hole through the reinforcement on the front lower "corner" of the existing rangefinder hole (you'll see why later  :P).

Next I roughed up both surfaces and used my trusty E6000 to glue the reinforcements in place, making sure that the bottom edge is clamped good so that the helmet lies flat against the reinforcement:

You can see a few things I did here:
1. I used a scrap piece of hardiboard to apply even pressure across the outer edges of the center of the reinforcement
2. The smaller clamp is directly over the seam to keep it nice and flat to the reinforcement
3. There are screws in the holes I mentioned earlier... here's why... My clamps weren't long enough!  :rolleyes:

Here is what it looks like from the outside:

The screws help hold the top edge of the earcap tight to the reinforcement (the scrap of board is used on the outside of the right side because I didn't have a washer big enough to cover the entire rangefinder hole), these will be removed later, once the glue dries.

So this is where my buy'ce stands at the moment:

Next Step:
Dome reinforcement!!  ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:05 PM »
More reinforcements!!!

Dome time:

While roaming around my basement looking for something to use as reinforcement for the seam in the dome I came across these:

They are the page guards out of a binder, being that they are only about 1mm thick I figured that they would be easy to shape to fit tightly between the posts in the dome of the buy'ce.

I used a scrap of card stock to take accurate measurements between the posts then cut and trimmed the plastic using a pair of tin snips to cut out the braces... to make them fit as tight to the posts as possible I trimmed off about a mm or 2 halfway up the edges (makes a kinda "T" shape, except for the side pieces where you only have to trim one edge), they fit tight enough to where they "click" into place when you push the middle down.

Here they are all cut out and shaped:

You can see that they are all labeled (L1,R1,L2...) which are also marked on the inside of the dome as well, the middle 4 are really the same size but there are slight differences in the way that they were trimmed when test fitting.

Here are a couple of pics showing the slight shaping of the braces, note that they are actually slightly "domed" and not just a simple bend, I did this because there is no real way to keep good pressure on the braces while the E6000 is drying:

And here they are in place: (Please excuse the messy application... I got a little happy with the glue in the first (middle) 2 braces  :P)

I did manage to find this clear disk (think it was the lens from an old clock) that was the exact diameter of the dome so I figured I would offer a little pressure on the braces while they set:

That's it for now...

Next Bondo & ear caps! ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:34 PM »
You are setting the bar very high for how to mod a Jango two piece. I shall follow this with much interest.
“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"

Dralin Cass

• Where's my hydrospanner?
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Why didn't I think of this? I just wanted to bondo the dome and resin the inside on mine. Lol

Jaa'det Otxoa

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2012, 02:17 PM »
You are setting the bar very high for how to mod a Jango two piece. I shall follow this with much interest.
Thanks vod! Just sharing the method to my madness  ??? for a quality budget build!

Why didn't I think of this? I just wanted to bondo the dome and resin the inside on mine. Lol
This is similar to the method used in one of the links I provided at the beginning of the thread, think he used old ID's or library cards, figure'd this would work a little better since it pretty much eliminates the gap completely!  ;D
Besides I don't think my wife would like the smell of fibergalss resin coming from the basement!  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2012, 02:23 PM by Jaa'det Otxoa »

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

droodles

• Good to GO
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2012, 01:04 AM »
I always say K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple & STABLE!

You weren't kidding when you said stable.  You, my good fellow, appear to be serious about reinforcing this helmet.  Should end up a very solid helmet given what you've done so far.
Like my gear? PM or email me yo!
You can see my Mando stuff here:  http://sdrv.ms/WKihMo
Email me if I don't respond promptly to PMs.

Helmet WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=57306.0

Kelan Ord

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Just Walked Off Set is the award for the most realistic, in universe custom Mand Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2012, 03:05 AM »
Very well done. Good job sir.

Remo Jadd. Never forgotten.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2012, 03:31 AM »
This is coming along very well! You seem to have a grip on everything :D

I too am glad to see you fixed the curve of the cheeks, it's one of my pet peeves when people go to all the effort of modding a j2p but don't fix that small thing :D

Jaa'det Otxoa

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2012, 12:23 PM »
Thanks Vode!  ;D

I've seen alot of quality builds both on our forum and TDH and I'm trying to take bits & pieces from those as well as adding my own tweaks to make my bucket as accurate, stable and cheap as possible... then pass on the knowledge! ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!