Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Xenotoes' bucket

• 36 Replies

xenotoes

• Beth :)
Xenotoes' bucket
« on: Nov 17, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Su'cuy! :)

I'll apologise in advance for the irregular updates this thread will get. My little student room is my 'workshop' at the moment, so progress is going to be slow! But I'll do my absolute best to work on this project as often as I can ;D

I bought a J2P helmet a few months back and loved the sizing. I think it fits me pretty well, if slightly roomy (nothing that a bit of well placed padding can't fix). It's a great helmet, and my mission is to make it as good as it can possibly be!

Here's a few images for sizing...what do you think?

I started working on it a few weeks ago. The dome is sanded (the rest will be sanded soon) and I'm really just waiting to get home so that I can fibreglass the inside and bondo the seam (unable to do that in halls). The curvy cheeks have been removed and replaced with straight ones - I'll be finishing them up with bondo as soon as I get home.

Here's a few pics of the straight cheeks:

(I've propped it up at the back with a towel here ^ so that you can get a better view, which is why the cheeks aren't touching the desk - it's not warped, I promise! :laugh: )

I also managed to get my hands on a nice new rangefinder:

I'll be remodeling the right earpiece into a two-part earpiece once the bucket is ready to paint. I've also got a shiny new visor waiting to be installed once everything's ready!

Anyway, I'll get some more progress to you as soon as I can - including the concept art for this helmet, which I'll post once I've finished it :)

Take care guys,
Beth  ;)

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
Re: Xenotoes' bucket
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2012, 05:32 PM »
YES.YES! I'm so excited to see this paint up.

Kalyn Solari

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2012, 05:36 PM »

^^ this!  ;D as for helmet sizing, it looks good to me

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2012, 11:14 PM »
Sizing looks good to me. I cant wait to see more progress :D Hurry up :P No, seriously...

Tal'Falco

• My Client, My Target..Neither live long
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2012, 12:24 AM »
Good starter bucket

Rest In Peace Remo Jadd..

Miss Troll Tuesday? Follow the link http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70820.0

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2012, 01:31 AM »
Looks awesome! ;D

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2012, 01:19 PM »
Wow, you've done a really nice job already. I love it when people replace the cheeks. ;)

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2012, 01:53 PM »
^^This! One of my pet peeves is when people do a really nice J2P mod, and paintjob, but dont fix the cheeks :D

Than'del Coret

• Ner vode ja'hailir - My brother's keeper
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2012, 01:29 PM »
I loved working on my J2P. Watching to see how this goes :)

No matter how great of a warrior you are, eventually, everyone needs saving.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Dral Buurenaar

• Dralkotep Cyareakaan
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:16 PM »
Impressive start. Looking forward to seeing progress.

Ship: Burk'yc bora [Risky Business]
Co-pilot: N8-R10 [Nate Arten]
Manda'galaar / MA#045

Jate Haran

• Turning useless osik into something useful
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:04 PM »
OYA VOD! Nice bucket vod, looks like a great place to start!

Jate Haran

• Turning useless osik into something useful
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:34 PM »
BTW What kind of sand paper did you use? And what grit was it?

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Watching with interest!  8)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2012, 03:34 PM »
Size looks good ;D Do go on ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Coder

« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2012, 06:59 PM »
I shall be watching with great interest. ;)

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Great work so far!

Ran

« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Late post but how did you attach the flat cheeks?

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread

Vorpan Kyr'am

• Kann man so machen,dann isses halt Scheisse
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2012, 03:00 PM »
The curvy cheeks have been removed and replaced with straight ones - I'll be finishing them up with bondo as soon as I get home.

;)

Spec Ops Sniper/Force Hunter
Invasions

Ran

« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Ok, but I want to know how she attached them. Just slather the edges with epoxy and put them on? Because I plan on replacing the cheeks too.

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread

Kane Friax

• De vita discendum, non scholae
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Lookin good! can't wait to see the updates :D

-Kane

24er!               Candy-Kane

xenotoes

« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:48 AM »
So sorry that I haven't posted anything in ages! I knew it was going to be difficult to keep this regular :rolleyes:

Thanks! I'm working on the sanding of the bondo at the moment, so paint isn't too far away  ;)
Looks awesome! ;D

Thanks Jesse! Hope everything's going well for you, my next stop after updating this is your art thread! Can't wait to catch up on everything I've missed  ;D

Wow, you've done a really nice job already. I love it when people replace the cheeks. ;)

Thanks! Yeah, I find the curvy cheeks a bit annoying, too. Had to replace them!

^^This! One of my pet peeves is when people do a really nice J2P mod, and paintjob, but dont fix the cheeks :D

Me too; if only they came with straight cheeks in the first place! Although replacing them has been a fun project  8)

I loved working on my J2P. Watching to see how this goes :)

Woo! Yeah, its great fun :) I'm excited about moving on to paint work now, though, because I seem to smell of fibreglass all the time at the moment! :laugh:

Impressive start. Looking forward to seeing progress.

Thanks!  :)

OYA VOD! Nice bucket vod, looks like a great place to start!

Thanks Jate :) Yeah, the J2P is awesome, I love it! I'd like to move on to other buckets in the future once this kit is finished, though  :)

BTW What kind of sand paper did you use? And what grit was it?

Hey! Sorry that I couldn't get back to you sooner on this. I picked it up for 99p from a DIY outlet store. Typical student budget :rolleyes: It came in a set of three grits; so I started with 60, and then moved to 100. You kinda have to be careful when you're sanding the J2P, because some parts of the plastic are soooo thin. Especially the face and cheeks; that was a nightmare! Hope that helps buddy  :)

Watching with interest!  8)

Awesome! Thanks  :)

Size looks good ;D Do go on ;)

Thanks! I was worried about the sizing at first. There were so many options out there, it was kinda baffling trying to decide where to start! I think the J2P was a good choice though  :D

I shall be watching with great interest. ;)

Cheers  8)

Great work so far!

Thanks!  ;D

Late post but how did you attach the flat cheeks?

Not as late as this reply!  :laugh:
Not a problem. In the first photos, the cheeks are just cut from plastic and attached with a strong glue. Last week the weather finally improved enough for me to get outside and fibreglass them, so now they are completely solid  :)

;)

Pahahaha!  :laugh:

Lookin good! can't wait to see the updates :D

-Kane

Thanks! Updates to follow  :)

The Midlands, being the Midlands, decided that it was going to do everything in its power to stop me working on this in the two week window I had over christmas. It rained most of the first week, and only improved enough to let me get outside and work last week! The dome and cheeks are now fibreglassed on the inside, and I managed to bondo the seam and cheeks a few days ago. I'm in the middle of sanding everything down now, but it's taking a while as I'm doing it all by hand. I'm hoping that the weather will be decent enough tomorrow for me to mix up some fresh bondo to fill in the little holes and carry on sanding. Fingers crossed! Then, with any luck, I can whip out the dremel and add some battle damage to it before I go back to Southampton.

(Please excuse my useless photography!)

Cheeks ready for sanding:

Dome and left cheek:

After the first 45 mins or so of sanding. Lotssss more to do:

I'll grab some more pictures as soon as I can  :) Hope you guys all had a really good christmas and an awesome New Year's!  :D

Zih'yer Atin

• Sierra Vista, Az
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:59 AM »
Wow, off to a great start!  I'll be watching for sure!!

Who's driving the boat?

xenotoes

« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Wow, off to a great start!  I'll be watching for sure!!

Thanks buddy! Hoping to get some more pics up in the next few days  ;)

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Cool an updateee! One thing, you might run into the problem that if the cheeks flex the bondo might crack.

xenotoes

« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Cool an updateee! One thing, you might run into the problem that if the cheeks flex the bondo might crack.

Thanks for the heads up! It shouldn't be a problem though, as the cheeks are fibreglassed on the inside. They don't bend at all anymore, except for where they attach to the ear piece area  :)

Cheers Karvas  :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!