Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

True Mandalorian helmet question

• 6 Replies

Fenrir Bralor

• All right. Let's go.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
True Mandalorian helmet question
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:23 PM »
What's the deal with the back of the True Mando's helmet? Are there keyslots back there, or is it just blank, or does it matter?

A few weeks ago (or maybe months, it blurs together), I asked the Brigadier if I could use the Jodo Kast "buttons" instead of the standard Fett keyslots on a helmet intended for the True Mandalorian Brigade. I was told since there are no clear shots of the back of the helmet in the Open Seasons comic, and since the Kast buttons didn't significantly change the profile of the helmet, that it was acceptable for use in TM Brigade.

Now that Slade has stepped down, and we have yet to establish a new Brigadier, I want to make sure this decision still stands, or if it doesn't, that there's a clear ruling on the matter when the new Brigadier steps up. I'd like to keep my Jodo Kast buttons in order to have SOME custom feature on my True Mandalorian, but more than that I don't want to waste my time and effort if the new Brigadier is going to look at it and shake their head, saying, "Nope."

So... the back of a True Mando's helmet? Fett keyslots, blank, or is there room for limited custom items like Jodo Kast buttons?

I'm not expecting a definitive answer right away, since we're waiting on a new Brigadier, but I welcome thoughts and insight from anyone effected by the matter. Thank you for reading. :)

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: True Mandalorian helmet question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:17 PM »
All visual reference of the back of the True Mando helmet that exist are a blank back.

Fenrir Bralor

• All right. Let's go.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:30 PM »
I understand that. However, the only shots of the back of the helmet in that comic are always in shadow. Is it possible the artist just rushed through that part, or glossed over it?

When Jango gets his "movie-shiny" armor at the end of the series, it still has the different ear caps. Clearly it's meant to be the same kit as we seen in Episode 2, but the artist still draws it the old way.

I guess my question really is, "How much leeway do we get on stuff that isn't 100% clearly defined?" Ninety-nine percent of the armor depicted in Open Seasons is clearly depicted, in decent "lighting," at many angles, but the back of the helmet, while seen sometimes, is never in direct lighting. I've read thru my trade collected copy so many times it's falling apart. It's never CLEARLY seen.

EDIT: Okay, so there ARE 3 or 4 shots that show the back that clearly show that it's blank. Still. Do we have to assume that EVERY True Mando is like that? LOL

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2013, 04:47 PM by Fenrir Bralor » Logged

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:27 PM »
My asssumption, not being the PO anymore or the BO would be that they have little to no room for leeway for a canon based brigade. For example, you dont have to pick True Mando (TM) D from issue 4 to make. However, you can only utilize the references seen in issue 1-4,  as those are the only canon depictions of those characters, for your inspiration.

In the TM requirments it states : "Helmet: Standard Fett-style helmet required, with RF and ear-caps matching the design shown in the Open Seasons comic books. The visor frame/mandibles must be the secondary color (blue, red or yellow/orange)."

My assumption would be, although specified, if it requires the ears to match the artwork, it would require the back to as well. Again, with the canon based brigades, not much wiggle room.

But, until a new BO is selected and those wishing to join finalize the decision, it is kinda up in the air. I would say error on the side of canon reference though, can't go wrong that way.

Ca'tal

• SCYK CLAN
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Most invasions trooped in 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:42 PM »
Do we have to assume that EVERY True Mando is like that?

More or less...yes. The problem with the arguement of "Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist" is that it throws everything we DO see out the window. If there's a visual reference that shows something one way, then that's the way it needs to be.

“Morale is born of loyalty, patriotism, discipline, and efficiency, all of which breed confidence in self and in comrades…Morale is at one and the same time the strongest, and the most delicate of growths. It withstands shocks, even disasters of the battlefield, but can be destroyed utterly by favoritism, neglect, or injustice.”
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

My opinions are stated as my own. If you disagree with them feel free to disregard them. They are after all...opinions.

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:33 AM »
After reviewing the artwork... i can find no shots of a True Mando with keyslots.   So unless someone can find me canon True Mandalorian artwork depicting helmets with keyslots, i'm going to have to say blank backs on the helmet.    Canon is Canon, and Artwork is the only thing we really have to work with here. So if the artwork doesn't show keyslots, there be no keyslots.     I do like being proven wrong tho, so like i said.. find me supporting art for keyslots and i'll take it into consideration :)   

Fenrir Bralor

• All right. Let's go.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Well, looks like blank back it is, then. I just poured over every page, cover to cover, and there is NOTHING there for me. LOL

Even the "movie blue" helmet in the last issue has a blank back. Sheesh. I'd have thought at least THAT one would have conformed to what's on screen. Guess Jango made the keyslots modification in the 10 years from making the deal with Dooku to showing up in Episode 2.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!