Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Xenotoes' Fett build

• 170 Replies

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Xenotoes' Fett build
« Reply #125 on: Apr 23, 2013, 07:16 AM »
Heh, I know that feeling. I've not had a chance to work on either of my kits in ages due to uni and other stuff.

I've used hot glue for all my helmets and never had an issue with it, the trick is to use plenty and put it all around and up over the edge of the visor.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #126 on: Apr 23, 2013, 08:24 AM »
I also used Hot Glue. It works Great , but you have to Do it in Steps .
 Don't Expect to Glue it all at once . I did the Corners of the eyes first ,
then Worked my way down using Dots of Glue . Then When it's how you want it
lay a few 1 inch ( or so ) beads in between your Dots . (Becarefull not to re-heat them or it might move on you )

Then When your Comfortable on How it looks add some more ....  ;)

Can't wait to see you all Official and Stuff ....  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #127 on: Apr 23, 2013, 08:48 AM »
I actually use Velcro. I feel it's faster, less problematic, and you could change your visor with ease down the line.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #128 on: Apr 23, 2013, 08:59 AM »
Excellent work vod!

(I can't believe I missed this thread until now...  ???)

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

ConDar Ward

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #129 on: Apr 23, 2013, 09:00 AM »
I could see how that Would Work well to .  :rolleyes:

However a few of my Visors weren't wide enough to use Velcro . :-\

Byrek Avery

« Reply #130 on: Apr 23, 2013, 09:08 AM »
I could see how that Would Work well to .  :rolleyes:

However a few of my Visors weren't wide enough to use Velcro . :-\

Yeah. It's something you may not be able to do, but if you can, definitely do.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

xenotoes

• Beth :)
« Reply #131 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Heh, I know that feeling. I've not had a chance to work on either of my kits in ages due to uni and other stuff.

I've used hot glue for all my helmets and never had an issue with it, the trick is to use plenty and put it all around and up over the edge of the visor.

It sucks, doesn't it? But at the same time it's quite nice to be studying again. I did no work whatsoever over the holiday! :laugh: I'll definitely give hot glue a try!

I'll reply to your message on Facebook as soon as I can! I read it on my phone this morning but then lost the signal :rolleyes:

I also used Hot Glue. It works Great , but you have to Do it in Steps .
 Don't Expect to Glue it all at once . I did the Corners of the eyes first ,
then Worked my way down using Dots of Glue . Then When it's how you want it
lay a few 1 inch ( or so ) beads in between your Dots . (Becarefull not to re-heat them or it might move on you )

Then When your Comfortable on How it looks add some more ....  ;)

Can't wait to see you all Official and Stuff ....  8)

AWESOME! Thanks ConDar, I hadn't thought of that, but I guess it should have been at the top of my list! Thank you for all the advice. It makes much more sense than superglue! :)

I actually use Velcro. I feel it's faster, less problematic, and you could change your visor with ease down the line.

Never thought of that before, either! Do you find that it stays in place, or do the hook side & loop side separate really easily? I think I might try this with one of the visors that I ruined ( :rolleyes: ) before I try hot glue.

Excellent work vod!

(I can't believe I missed this thread until now...  ???)

Thanks so much!

I just ordered a little mini heat gun set on ebay, it was only £6 8) So I'll try velcro first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try hot glue. Thanks so much guys, I'll let you know how it goes!

Byrek Avery

« Reply #132 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:11 AM »
It stays perfectly. Would you like a picture of my set up?

And keep in mind, DO NOT use industrial. It will tear it right off of the helmet.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

xenotoes

« Reply #133 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:15 AM »
It stays perfectly. Would you like a picture of my set up?

And keep in mind, DO NOT use industrial. It will tear it right off of the helmet.

Oh yes please; that would be awesome if it's not too much trouble! ;D So did you just use standard hobby velcro? The sort that comes with the self-adhesive backing? (Although I guess you have to glue it in properly? The backing never seems very good!)

Byrek Avery

« Reply #134 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:56 AM »
Oh yes please; that would be awesome if it's not too much trouble! ;D So did you just use standard hobby velcro? The sort that comes with the self-adhesive backing? (Although I guess you have to glue it in properly? The backing never seems very good!)

I'll snag a picture after I get out of class :D

And yes. Just standard sticky back Velcro brand Velcro. I haven't had to glue mine in, but you can to be safe!

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #135 on: Apr 23, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I hot glued my first one and that worked fine. But my second one I wanted to use the visor as part of the structure of the helmet, so I bolted it.

xenotoes

« Reply #136 on: Apr 23, 2013, 12:57 PM »
I'll snag a picture after I get out of class :D

And yes. Just standard sticky back Velcro brand Velcro. I haven't had to glue mine in, but you can to be safe!

Awesome! Thanks so much, that would be really helpful :D I'll order some of that from fleabay; it's like £1 for a metre!

I hot glued my first one and that worked fine. But my second one I wanted to use the visor as part of the structure of the helmet, so I bolted it.

Yeah, I read quite a few threads on TDH in regards bolting the visor, but I'm not really sure if I would feel confident trying it for myself :laugh: Hopefully either the velcro or hot glue will work! Very excited about finishing it now :)

Vardamir

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #137 on: Apr 28, 2013, 08:52 PM »
i am so impressed with your helmet..... kinda feel that anything i try now is gonna look kinda rubbish, and also its good to see another person from Derby here,

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #138 on: Apr 28, 2013, 11:38 PM »
I'd suggest bolting the visor. It's very easy to do.
Here's a step by step tutorial:
1. Dremel one shallow hole on each corner where the vertical part of the T meets the horizontal. (do not drill through the mandibles)
2. Epoxy flathead screws into the holes. Make sure the screws are secured upright and won't fall down. Let it dry overnight.
3. Cut your visor to shape (you can refine the shape later if it's slightly too big in some areas)
4. Place two dots of paint on the end of each screw. I use white. While the paint is still wet, place the visor into the helmet and push slightly onto the screws. This will give you the placement for your holes.
5. Drill the holes out and place the visor in. Secure the visor with nuts and rubber washers. Done!

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #139 on: Apr 29, 2013, 12:29 AM »
To add to Ref's list of things - instead of using the actual visor to check size and hole placements, I used paper and then transferred that over to the visor to cut it.

xenotoes

« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2013, 12:03 PM »
i am so impressed with your helmet..... kinda feel that anything i try now is gonna look kinda rubbish, and also its good to see another person from Derby here,

Aw, thanks very much! If there's anything at all you need, give me a shout :) Great to know there are more Derby mandos here, we should all get together soon!

I'd suggest bolting the visor. It's very easy to do.
Here's a step by step tutorial:
1. Dremel one shallow hole on each corner where the vertical part of the T meets the horizontal. (do not drill through the mandibles)
2. Epoxy flathead screws into the holes. Make sure the screws are secured upright and won't fall down. Let it dry overnight.
3. Cut your visor to shape (you can refine the shape later if it's slightly too big in some areas)
4. Place two dots of paint on the end of each screw. I use white. While the paint is still wet, place the visor into the helmet and push slightly onto the screws. This will give you the placement for your holes.
5. Drill the holes out and place the visor in. Secure the visor with nuts and rubber washers. Done!

Thanks so much Ref, this is what I'm going to do for my other helmet. The hot glue method took two attempts, and peeling everything off was a nightmare. Haha!

To add to Ref's list of things - instead of using the actual visor to check size and hole placements, I used paper and then transferred that over to the visor to cut it.

Like that idea a lot ;)

After lots of wrestling with the visor and getting covered in glue, it's finally finished  :)

Now back to tackling the rest of the kit!

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Looks great!

ConDar Ward

« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2013, 01:19 PM »
I'm Really really diggin this ...... Top notch ...  8)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2013, 04:30 PM »
For the win! That looks outstanding, you've really out done your self :D

**Goes off to repaint his own Jango helmet**

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Great helmet.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

xenotoes

« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2013, 05:32 AM »
I'm Really really diggin this ...... Top notch ...  8)

For the win! That looks outstanding, you've really out done your self :D

**Goes off to repaint his own Jango helmet**

Great helmet.

Hehe thanks guys! Really appreciate it! I'm hoping my flight suit should be delivered soon, it's been almost thirteen weeks now so I'm starting to get excited! ;D

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2013, 02:39 PM »
I one have one thing to say.......

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2013, 04:47 AM »
I think it's

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!