Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Xenotoes' Fett build

• 170 Replies

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Xenotoes' Fett build
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2013, 02:53 PM »
Looking very cool ;)

and that weathering Top notch work vod ;) you have the knack. i foresee a great kit here soon ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

xenotoes

• Beth :)
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Looking very cool ;)

and that weathering Top notch work vod ;) you have the knack. i foresee a great kit here soon ;D

Aw, thanks Niabi! I really appreciate that, especially because...

Haha!  :laugh:

Does anyone know whether Asok is still doing his CC Jango buckets? I'm sure I read that he was taking a break from casting - anyone know if he's back up and running again? I'm dying to get my hands on one :)

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Lol I think I used the same dog somewhere in my build thread. And I'm pretty sure he is, unless he mentioned otherwise?

xenotoes

« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Lol I think I used the same dog somewhere in my build thread. And I'm pretty sure he is, unless he mentioned otherwise?

Haha! Lol, that dog sums up a lot of my life :P

I'm not sure, I think I'll drop him a PM through TDH at some point to find out. Hope he is! :)

Jimmy BufFETT

• Yes ... I escaped.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Boba and Jango Is That Real? is the award for the best non-photoshopped scenic photo.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:39 PM »
You are definitely off to a great start.  As you continue to Rub n Buff the armor pieces, make sure you have one critical item in the house: soap.  I made the royal mistake of not having any after I was done working of my armor ... the gear lever in my car was silver for the next month as a result!

Quick question: when you sand the primer, what types of sandpaper are you using?

- Scott Chana

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:21 AM »
Agreed :) How heavy do you think yours is? Is it comfortable enough to wear all day?
I've never actually weighed it, but it's probably around 5 or 6 kg. What I've found with comfort when wearing the jetpack it really comes down to how it is attached. My harness distributes the weight well, making it easier to wear for extended periods of time. The way I've done my harness also means that I can slip into the whole vest/ chest armour/ jetpack assembly in one go, and then tighten it up. This means that the help I need to kit up is limited to clipping the hoses under the outer sleeve of the flightsuit.

Tempest

• The Villain
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I bought my Asok Jango CC helmet fairly recently. So I believe he is. But yeah, PM him just to be sure. ^_^

Zyras "Tempest" Marek/Tobi Ryn.
New build: Legacy - WIP.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:43 AM »
I do believe he is, but not right this second - in a couple of week's time he was planning on doing a run as far as I recall.

Cyare Kebii'tra

• Wild_Muppen
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2013, 03:23 AM »
Tested some rub 'n' buff on my helmet today and I'm not too pleased with the result. I think I need to wetsand it more. How did you prep your armor for application?

Zadkiel

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2013, 07:55 AM »
Looks awesome. Weathering looks spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi7KPDi_yQI
Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum Remo Jadd, Asok, Leah
OM#678

Mullreel

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:03 AM »
on the Asok question.....He is making helmets, but the weather will keep him from being able to cast them some days.  So this time of year is difficult on him.  As the weather warms up he will be able to crank them out at his normal incredible rate.

Bill is awesome to deal with, I have bought a total of about 6 helmets off of him over the years and I have NEVER had a complaint.  He his honest upfront and produces quality work.

All I ever wanted to do was to travel to far off exotic places and meet new and exciting people.........and then kill them.  So I became a mercenary, and I love what I do.

xenotoes

« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2013, 03:17 PM »
Sorry about taking so long to reply! It's been a busy couple of days :rolleyes:

You are definitely off to a great start.  As you continue to Rub n Buff the armor pieces, make sure you have one critical item in the house: soap.  I made the royal mistake of not having any after I was done working of my armor ... the gear lever in my car was silver for the next month as a result!

Quick question: when you sand the primer, what types of sandpaper are you using?

Aw, thanks Jimmy! Means a lot to hear that from you! :)

HAHA, yeah, I've learnt that the hard way  :-[ Most of the door handles in our flat now have silver smears on them, and at one point I forgot that my hands were covered in it, so I rubbed my face to get rid of an itch and BOOM, ended up with a nice silver streak across my forehead 8)

I'm using 600 grit silicone carbide sand paper; just a bunch of sheets I bought from eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170972974914?var=470229458870&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
It seems to work well with a few applications of primer :)

I've never actually weighed it, but it's probably around 5 or 6 kg. What I've found with comfort when wearing the jetpack it really comes down to how it is attached. My harness distributes the weight well, making it easier to wear for extended periods of time. The way I've done my harness also means that I can slip into the whole vest/ chest armour/ jetpack assembly in one go, and then tighten it up. This means that the help I need to kit up is limited to clipping the hoses under the outer sleeve of the flightsuit.

Awesome! I haven't really thought that far ahead yet in regards to attaching parts, but I'm going to sort out the back plate properly tomorrow with any luck, so I'll keep all of that in mind! Thanks Rob :)

Tested some rub 'n' buff on my helmet today and I'm not too pleased with the result. I think I need to wetsand it more. How did you prep your armor for application?

Aw, sorry to hear that buddy! I know ho you feel though; I found it quite tough at first, too.

To prep the pieces, I started out with 150 grit sandpaper and then went straight to 600 grit - probably not the most orthodox way of doing it, but it seemed to work so I'm not complaining  :) Then I primed the pieces, went back to sand them with 600 grit, and repeated that a couple of times before giving them a final coat of primer and applying the Rub 'n' Buff. I also smeared the wax with a tiny bit of nail varnish remover like I mentioned before, which sort of spreads it more evenly, and then buffed as normal.

Hope that helps! Good luck dude. If I can ever help with anything, you know where I am! :)

Looks awesome. Weathering looks spot on.

Thanks so much! So pleased to hear that :D

on the Asok question.....He is making helmets, but the weather will keep him from being able to cast them some days.  So this time of year is difficult on him.  As the weather warms up he will be able to crank them out at his normal incredible rate.

Bill is awesome to deal with, I have bought a total of about 6 helmets off of him over the years and I have NEVER had a complaint.  He his honest upfront and produces quality work.

Thanks for the heads up! :) I can totally relate to the crap weather, it's been so bad here recently - it's really limited what I can work on. Do you think it would be be okay for me to drop him a PM now, or should I wait a while? I wouldn't want to add to his stress if the weather conditions really aren't great for him at the moment!

Just a quick edit! Little plea for help here:

There's an upcoming art auction to raise money for Princess Leah  - basically, artists are sending in pieces of their work to be sold in eBay auctions. I think this sums it up quite well:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Art_Auction_for_Princess_Leah_Goes_Live_144504.asp

If anyone would mind me using photos of them kitted up (not just Mandos - any Star Wars costumes!) for reference in some drawings, I'd be incredibly grateful! Every single penny/cent raised through the sale of the art goes to the children and their families. If you wouldn't mind being my muse for a few days, let me know! Just drop me a PM with some pics you wouldn't mind me using, and I will be eternally in your debt :) I'm working as fast as I possibly can to get some work sent to the US in time for the auction, so any help is awesome!

Sorry to hijack my own thread like that, haha! But it's for an amazing cause ;)

Mullreel

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Send Asok a PM or email anytime, he will tell you what he can or can't do and a reasonable time table

All I ever wanted to do was to travel to far off exotic places and meet new and exciting people.........and then kill them.  So I became a mercenary, and I love what I do.

xenotoes

« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Send Asok a PM or email anytime, he will tell you what he can or can't do and a reasonable time table

Awesome. Cheers Mullreel, will do  :)

I wanted to do the back plate today, but I changed my mind and ended up working on these instead :) The diamond isn't there because I slipped when I was using my dremel to carve the little square, and had to scrap it! I'll make another one at the weekend. Can anyone recommend a good cutting disc to use? I think the ones I have are just too big to do the square. I think it's about time I bought some new ones :)

The plate on the left looks really scuffed in the photo for some reason, but in person it's the same as the one on the right. I guess the lighting is just weird!

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Good work :D I'd suggest you adjust the position of the plates a few times and take a few more photos each time just to make sure it is the way the light is falling on the plates, and not a subtle difference in the paint job that the camera amplifies. The reason I suggest this is because when in costume you will have a lot of photos taken of you so you want the armour to look right both in person and on camera.
When I did the rectangle on the chest diamond I did it by hand using a couple of needle files, which does take a little longer, but also gives you more control. Alternately you could always try an engraving bit for the dremel, rather than a cutting disc but it may be a little bit harder to keep your lines completely straight.

Keep it up! :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!