Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Xenotoes' Fett build

• 170 Replies

xenotoes

• Beth :)
Re: Xenotoes' Fett build
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2013, 03:05 PM »
Good work :D I'd suggest you adjust the position of the plates a few times and take a few more photos each time just to make sure it is the way the light is falling on the plates, and not a subtle difference in the paint job that the camera amplifies. The reason I suggest this is because when in costume you will have a lot of photos taken of you so you want the armour to look right both in person and on camera.
When I did the rectangle on the chest diamond I did it by hand using a couple of needle files, which does take a little longer, but also gives you more control. Alternately you could always try an engraving bit for the dremel, rather than a cutting disc but it may be a little bit harder to keep your lines completely straight.

Keep it up! :D

Good thinking batman  :) I took some more photos, I think this one is the most accurate to how it looks in person:

I turned them towards the light a bit more and it seems to have worked. I also wiped a bit off the edges of both to tone it down a bit...  they do still need a bit more work here and there but they'll do for now :)

Ooooh, I think I'll borrow that technique! I'll probably have to wait until I get back to Derby so that I can hijack some tools from my family, but the needle file idea is perfect. Me + dremel = clumsy lines EVERYWHERE.

Haha, thanks so much! ;)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2013, 03:10 PM »
That looks a lot more even :D Glad I could help

Can't quite tell from the photos, but have you covered the back of the slots on the chest?

Also you have a pm re: Princess Leah art auction.

xenotoes

« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2013, 03:22 PM »
That looks a lot more even :D Glad I could help

Can't quite tell from the photos, but have you covered the back of the slots on the chest?

Also you have a pm re: Princess Leah art auction.

Thanks! And well spotted; the backs of the slots aren't covered yet because I've run out of glue! :laugh: I'll get some more this weekend and sort that out with some 3mm sintra.

Cheers for the PM, you have one inbound ;)

Dorittos

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:08 PM »

thats all i can say right now this is really awesome!

xenotoes

« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2013, 11:51 AM »

thats all i can say right now this is really awesome!

Aw shucks :) Thanks Dorittos!

xenotoes

« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2013, 04:57 PM »
Sorry about the double post! I've got a mini update....BOOOOOOOTIEEEES!

It took forever to get even the smallest amount of curvature into these little monsters, lol. I'm still not 100% happy; I think they should probably be even more curvy, but do you guys think they'll be okay? 

I weathered them just a teeny bit because in most of the ref images, they looked really clean!

I'M CRAAAAAZY EXCITED, because one of Asok's Jango buckets is on its way across the Atlantic! I will hopefully get some progress pics up for that over the next few weeks. At the moment my biggest issue is getting my mitts on the right paint, because I can't seem to find any Krylon stuff this side of the pond...and most suppliers in the US don't do international shipping :( So I'm doing some hunting using the RAL colour codes posted at TDH.

My next job is the back plate, but I still need to sort out a neck plate, cod piece and knees, so I think I'll have to order another batch of sintra soon. At the moment the thought of gauntlets TERRIFIES me so I'm in no rush to start thinking about those yet, haha. 

We have an awesome old school market in Derby (they sell EVERYTHING :) ), so while I'm back at home my mission is to find some leather so that I can start working on the girth belt and ammo pouches. I've found some leather bolo that I think will be perfect, but I've held back on ordering it because I'm kinda low on cash now after paying for the helmet, haha!

On a slightly unrelated note, thanks so much to everyone who has given me permission to use their pics as references in the art auctions for Leah! I'm working on a Boba piece for the one on the 21st at the moment, but I panicked and realised that it probably wouldn't get there in time - so I messaged the organizers, who said that they were planning to have at least two auctions a year, and that it was okay if I sent work in late as it could still be used in the next auction. So yeah, I've got a stash of pics of you guys to work on throughout the year which I'll aim to send in for the next auction. Yaaay! So thanks again, it's such an amazing cause :)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2013, 07:29 PM »
They look good to me! Hard to tell if they need more curvature or not with out seeing them on the boots. You've done a good job of getting that compound curvature though, it's not easy to achieve working with sintra.

xenotoes

« Reply #37 on: Mar 20, 2013, 05:00 PM »
They look good to me! Hard to tell if they need more curvature or not with out seeing them on the boots. You've done a good job of getting that compound curvature though, it's not easy to achieve working with sintra.

Yay, thanks! Glad they look okay, it took SO LONG to shape them, I was so fed up at the end of it :rolleyes: I'll get some pics of them on some normal combat boots as soon as I get back to Southampton!

Today I braved Pepakura again for the first time in three years! I haven't done any Pep work since I did some Halo pieces waaaay back when, and all the frustration at the stupidly tiny and fiddly parts came flooding back :laugh: Ignore the droopy little rocket thing that's perched on top, I think I'm going to make that out of something else! How does the whole thing look for sizing though? I scaled it down a bit from the original, but if it looks okay I'll go ahead and fibreglass/bondo it tomorrow, so that I can start getting it to look more accurate :)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #38 on: Mar 20, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Looks pretty good to me :D That pep file will need some modifications to be accurate (I have my suspicions that that file was ripped from the Bounty Hunter game, though I could be wrong) so check out the blueprints WOF made so see what needs to be done.
Personally I used WOF's Boba gauntlet templates and modified them as needed when making mine, as I felt it would give me better results.
If you would like I can put together a list of the alterations I made to the Boba Templates along with some images to help explain it?

xenotoes

« Reply #39 on: Mar 20, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Looks pretty good to me :D That pep file will need some modifications to be accurate (I have my suspicions that that file was ripped from the Bounty Hunter game, though I could be wrong) so check out the blueprints WOF made so see what needs to be done.
Personally I used WOF's Boba gauntlet templates and modified them as needed when making mine, as I felt it would give me better results.
If you would like I can put together a list of the alterations I made to the Boba Templates along with some images to help explain it?

Awesome :) Yep I'm right with you on that, there is SO MUCH modification to be done if I carry on using these files! The biggest thing I noticed with the left gaunt is that there's no 'dish' to hold the rockety thing (excellent scientific terminology there lol), and most of the major detailing is left out. I'm hoping most of that could be fixed with some bondo work...although it's probably a long shot!

Are you sure you wouldn't mind? That would be AMAZING, if it isn't too much trouble! I hadn't even thought of using the Boba templates, but that actually makes so much more sense. ROBERT YOU ARE THE MAN 8) Thanks so much!

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #40 on: Mar 20, 2013, 05:56 PM »
While you could do the detailling with bondo it would be more trouble than it was worth IMHO not to mention the finished gaunts would weigh a ton!

Yea sure thing :D I've got to go to a lecture now, but I'll try and compile a list later this afternoon. Just glad to help out :D

xenotoes

« Reply #41 on: Mar 20, 2013, 06:10 PM »
While you could do the detailling with bondo it would be more trouble than it was worth IMHO not to mention the finished gaunts would weigh a ton!

Yea sure thing :D I've got to go to a lecture now, but I'll try and compile a list later this afternoon. Just glad to help out :D

Haha, ultimate arm workout regime! :) Very good point!

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! There's no rush at all though, please don't worry about it if you're busy! Hehe, I know how stressful Uni is! :laugh:

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #42 on: Mar 21, 2013, 02:34 AM »
Yea the last week or so have been pretty busy as I've had 3 presentations, however now they are over there is a bit of a lull, so it's an ideal time to sit down for a while and do this :) Besides it's something I've been meaning to do for a while now, since I spent a lot of time researching the information.

It ended up being a fairly large write up and I figured there may be other people in the future that will find it useful so I started a thread for it which can be found here.

Hope it helps you out and let me know if anything needs more clarification :D

xenotoes

« Reply #43 on: Mar 21, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Yea the last week or so have been pretty busy as I've had 3 presentations, however now they are over there is a bit of a lull, so it's an ideal time to sit down for a while and do this :) Besides it's something I've been meaning to do for a while now, since I spent a lot of time researching the information.

It ended up being a fairly large write up and I figured there may be other people in the future that will find it useful so I started a thread for it which can be found here.

Hope it helps you out and let me know if anything needs more clarification :D

Ooh, how did the presentations go? :) Did you have to do them as a team, or alone? The last time I did a presentation, my Powerpoint crashed and left me without any prompts :rolleyes: Hope it all went well for you!

It's a really helpful thread; and definitely much needed! I can't thank you enough! I'm just going over the WOF templates at the moment to try and get my head around things :) I've actually printed off what you wrote, along with the images, so that I can use it when I'm working outside - providing the weather improves, haha! Thanks again! :D

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #44 on: Mar 21, 2013, 05:26 PM »
The presentations went pretty well. Yea they were all individual projects so that was cool. I had mixed results with group projects last year, one went amazingly well and we came out with an incredible project at the end of it, and the other was a nightmare, and the members of my team left everything to the last minute putting a huge amount of stress on me when I didn't need it! So at this stage I'm happy to just be working on these projects by myself :)

I glad it helped you and hopefully it will help others in the future.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!