Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Xenotoes' Fett build

• 170 Replies

xenotoes

• Beth :)
Xenotoes' Fett build
« on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:20 PM »
Su'cuy!

I realise that this is probably not the norm! But due to me being unable to come up with a definite concept for my mando just yet, I've decided to jump in with a canon Jango build for the time being. I love his look, and I think part of me has wanted to do this ever since I first saw AOTC  ;D I'm around 5'6, so I'm not far off Tem's height - but obviously I have a different body shape! I'm hoping that I'll be able to disguise my figure with my flight suit and some padding here and there.

Tracyn Ordo pointed out that Star Wars Chick ( http://www.facebook.com/thestarwarschick?fref=ts ) has already completed a Jango build, which is AWESOME because it's given me something to aim for! I'll give it my best shot, anyway!

I ordered a flight suit from Bobamaker a few weeks ago, so hopefully that should arrive around April/May. I have an old military flying suit which I can put on to snap some shots at some point - it's completely the wrong colour, but it should give an idea at least! I'll keep this thread updated with other soft parts as I find them/make them ;)

Armour time! I have an A2 piece of sintra in the corner of my room waiting to be made into a back plate, but I thought I'd focus on the smaller, easier parts first! Here's everything I've done so far (not really sure how to approach the knees though - any advice would be amazing!):

The thighs and chest plates are made from 5mm sintra, and the rest is made from 3mm. Here's another one of the chest plates (ignore the photobombing shins):

Some primer came through the post this morning, so I spent all afternoon getting paint everywhere :)

I bought some Rub 'n' Buff last week in anticipation, so I did a few pieces this evening. I wanted them to look beat up - hope it worked! Primed shin in there just for comparison:

AWESOME HANDS

I also got my hands on a pair of navy leather gloves for £2 on fleabay; I think they're pretty good!

That's all for now! I'll pick up some acrylic paint tomorrow or Friday for the weathering, and I'll update as much as I can! ;) Any opinions/advice would be awesome :)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Xenotoes' Fett build
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Looks like you are off to a good start! Are you planning on doing a Kamino or Arena style Jetpack?

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:09 PM »
This is going to be awesome!  8) Watching this with interest.  ;D

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Well done! And quick too 8)

Jango is my primary in-universe inspiration so I'm looking forward to see what you accomplish!

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:52 PM »
YES. IM SO EXCITED. YES.

xenotoes

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Looks like you are off to a good start! Are you planning on doing a Kamino or Arena style Jetpack?

Thanks! :D Haha, I have to admit, I haven't really thought about that yet - it's probably a long way in the future! I prefer the colour scheme of the arena pack (not keen on ochre-orange paint on the Kamino pack) so possibly the arena, but I guess whichever is more achievable as a scratch build!

xenotoes

« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:23 PM »
Ooops, posted that before I was finished!

This is going to be awesome!  8) Watching this with interest.  ;D

Thanks Jesse! Fingers crossed! :)

Well done! And quick too 8)

Jango is my primary in-universe inspiration so I'm looking forward to see what you accomplish!

Thanks Serim :) Not sure how long the speed will last though! I'm gradually building up a nasty pile of essays that need to written and submitted :rolleyes: but this is more fun for the time being!

YES. IM SO EXCITED. YES.

HAHA ;D I'm stupidly excited about seeing yours finished! GO WERK ON YER ERMEHR!

Did a little bit of weathering detail today, although I'm not sure how well it show up in these photos:

Cyare Kebii'tra

• Wild_Muppen
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:44 PM »
That weathering looks perfect. Not heavy, not too light. Though I suppose it's heavier in person. I'm planning on using rub 'n buff too. How is hard is it to work with? And are you gonna spray on a clear coat or leave it like that?

xenotoes

« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2013, 02:13 PM »
That weathering looks perfect. Not heavy, not too light. Though I suppose it's heavier in person. I'm planning on using rub 'n buff too. How is hard is it to work with? And are you gonna spray on a clear coat or leave it like that?

Thanks buddy :) It's not really much heavier in person, so hopefully it'll be okay!

I found the Rub 'n' Buff to be a bit tricky to start off with, because I'd never used it before. I made the mistake of using a bit too much and and ended up removing loads of excess! The best thing to do is just apply small amounts at a time and keep buffing ;) I also found that you can get rid of any streaks by putting a little bit of nail varnish remover onto some tissue paper, and rubbing it over the surface. It sort of mobilizes the wax and gives you a smother surface which you can then buff as normal.

As for a finishing coat, I don't think it's necessary ;) If you buff for long enough, all the excess wax should be removed and nothing will smudge. From what I've seen on TDH, it looks like the best thing to do is leave it to harden for a week or so, and then you're good to go!

Hope that helps a little! Let me know if there's anything else ;) Loving your helmet concept by the way!

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2013, 02:18 PM »
Yea .... I've been waiting/looking for this thread ...   ;D
Nice work ...  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

xenotoes

« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Yea .... I've been waiting/looking for this thread ...   ;D
Nice work ...  8)

Woop woop! :D Thanks ConDar!

:o I just realised - I haven't replied to your PM yet! I'll inbox you as soon as I can!  ;)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2013, 04:20 PM »
The reason I decided to go for the Arena pack with my scratchbuild is it has less fiddly detail on the rocket and thrusters making it easier to make, being smaller it is also easier to transport, and like you say, the colour scheme is better IMHO :D

That weathering looks good, just remember to look at reference pics to see how it was done on the original as well :)

Keep up the good work!

Cyare Kebii'tra

• Wild_Muppen
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Thanks buddy :) It's not really much heavier in person, so hopefully it'll be okay!

I found the Rub 'n' Buff to be a bit tricky to start off with, because I'd never used it before. I made the mistake of using a bit too much and and ended up removing loads of excess! The best thing to do is just apply small amounts at a time and keep buffing ;) I also found that you can get rid of any streaks by putting a little bit of nail varnish remover onto some tissue paper, and rubbing it over the surface. It sort of mobilizes the wax and gives you a smother surface which you can then buff as normal.

As for a finishing coat, I don't think it's necessary ;) If you buff for long enough, all the excess wax should be removed and nothing will smudge. From what I've seen on TDH, it looks like the best thing to do is leave it to harden for a week or so, and then you're good to go!

Hope that helps a little! Let me know if there's anything else ;) Loving your helmet concept by the way!

Thanks! I went through a few designs to get there... and a few more hours with Photoshop. :P

And that's helpful about the rub 'n' buff. Are you gonna use it on your helmet?

xenotoes

« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2013, 02:25 PM »
The reason I decided to go for the Arena pack with my scratchbuild is it has less fiddly detail on the rocket and thrusters making it easier to make, being smaller it is also easier to transport, and like you say, the colour scheme is better IMHO :D

That weathering looks good, just remember to look at reference pics to see how it was done on the original as well :)

Keep up the good work!

Agreed :) How heavy do you think yours is? Is it comfortable enough to wear all day?

Will do; I was flicking through a bunch of different ref pics as I did the weathering, but I guess it's tricky to tell for sure how it should be at times because of the lighting being different in each shot! I think I need to add some specks of brown here and there on the edges of the shoulder armour  :)

Thanks man!

Thanks! I went through a few designs to get there... and a few more hours with Photoshop. :P

And that's helpful about the rub 'n' buff. Are you gonna use it on your helmet?

It definitely paid off! It looks great; can't wait to see your finished bucket!

Yep, I'm going to use it on the helmet too ;) At the moment I'm in two minds about saving up for a new bucket and using my converted J2P for a custom build in the future...I think with canon stuff it's less possible to disguise issues with the structure, because everything has to be pretty much spot on. It's probably going to be a case of trying to find the right bucket :rolleyes: But yeah, Rub 'n' Buff is the way to go for the lid!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2013, 02:53 PM »
Looking very cool ;)

and that weathering Top notch work vod ;) you have the knack. i foresee a great kit here soon ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

xenotoes

« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Looking very cool ;)

and that weathering Top notch work vod ;) you have the knack. i foresee a great kit here soon ;D

Aw, thanks Niabi! I really appreciate that, especially because...

Haha!  :laugh:

Does anyone know whether Asok is still doing his CC Jango buckets? I'm sure I read that he was taking a break from casting - anyone know if he's back up and running again? I'm dying to get my hands on one :)

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Lol I think I used the same dog somewhere in my build thread. And I'm pretty sure he is, unless he mentioned otherwise?

xenotoes

« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Lol I think I used the same dog somewhere in my build thread. And I'm pretty sure he is, unless he mentioned otherwise?

Haha! Lol, that dog sums up a lot of my life :P

I'm not sure, I think I'll drop him a PM through TDH at some point to find out. Hope he is! :)

Jimmy BufFETT

• Yes ... I escaped.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:39 PM »
You are definitely off to a great start.  As you continue to Rub n Buff the armor pieces, make sure you have one critical item in the house: soap.  I made the royal mistake of not having any after I was done working of my armor ... the gear lever in my car was silver for the next month as a result!

Quick question: when you sand the primer, what types of sandpaper are you using?

- Scott Chana

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:21 AM »
Agreed :) How heavy do you think yours is? Is it comfortable enough to wear all day?
I've never actually weighed it, but it's probably around 5 or 6 kg. What I've found with comfort when wearing the jetpack it really comes down to how it is attached. My harness distributes the weight well, making it easier to wear for extended periods of time. The way I've done my harness also means that I can slip into the whole vest/ chest armour/ jetpack assembly in one go, and then tighten it up. This means that the help I need to kit up is limited to clipping the hoses under the outer sleeve of the flightsuit.

Tempest

• The Villain
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I bought my Asok Jango CC helmet fairly recently. So I believe he is. But yeah, PM him just to be sure. ^_^

Zyras "Tempest" Marek/Tobi Ryn.
New build: Legacy - WIP.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:43 AM »
I do believe he is, but not right this second - in a couple of week's time he was planning on doing a run as far as I recall.

Cyare Kebii'tra

• Wild_Muppen
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2013, 03:23 AM »
Tested some rub 'n' buff on my helmet today and I'm not too pleased with the result. I think I need to wetsand it more. How did you prep your armor for application?

Zadkiel

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2013, 07:55 AM »
Looks awesome. Weathering looks spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi7KPDi_yQI
Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum Remo Jadd, Asok, Leah
OM#678

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!