Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Helmet of Swift!

• 17 Replies

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
The Helmet of Swift!
« on: Apr 27, 2013, 02:11 AM »
So I finally go my helmet done guys :D (at about midnight last night!). The Nexus Toy Fair was on today, so I had to get this ready for a troop with POO and the 501st (who were awesome by the way). Since I spent literally all my time working on it, I didn't have time to post a W.I.P, so here is how it went! (Please excuse the bad webcam pics, my father is in Namibia with the good camera :P)

Thanks to my friend Josh (MrWright944 here on the forums) I got a hold of a LoneWolf 1:1.

The helmet was much more pitted then I had imagined (though still VERY good quality, especially considering the price), so I went out and bought some putty and got to filling! After a few days of sanding I got to this:

Which took far longer than I would have liked (turns out the putty I got was NOT waterproof, and my wet-sanding pulled out all my fillings).

Then I araldite'd the ears on and filled in the seams with more putty, and gave it a few coats of silver:

And drew up a paint scheme:

These first steps took me the better part of the week, and so everything else I did yesterday/last night.

Thanks to POO and his brother Tim (sorry, I don't know your forum handle buddy :P) I got a silver-tinted visor which fit perfectly, and our clan motto, 'Ani Di Alor' hand painted on the side of the dome. After I picked that up I got to the proper painting:

I was tempted to leave it at that, but felt it needed some red on the front. I also hit it up with a drybrush and blackwash, padded it and installed the visor:

Some of you who have been following my build will recall that at Comic-con earlier this year I was lacking a helmet, and made do with some Kiffar face tattoos. I decided to emulate that on the helmet, to display my characters Kiffar heritage. I'm not very happy with how the stripes turned out, but they do help break up the symmetry (I prefer an asymmetrical kit).

All in all I'm very happy with how it turned out, and now my kit is very close to membership application :D I'll post some pictures of the Toy Fair today once I get them so you can see the almost-full kit in its entirety, as well as some better close ups once I have access to a camera.

Thank you for reading! Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated!

Beskar'gam  |  Buy'ce  |  Gallery

Mandalorian Mercs OM #769
The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #058
B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: The Helmet of Swift!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2013, 02:32 AM »
My what a lovely visor that fits perfectly into your bucket! :P

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2013, 02:51 AM »
Wicked bro!

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2013, 06:02 AM »
It's... beautiful! ;D

And my sister thinks you resemble Orlando Bloom. :P  :laugh:

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Draco

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2013, 08:19 AM »
Very nice job and I like the colours.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Looks good-I allways apreciate other people's builds more when they overcome obstacles like your putty conundrum.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Great looking paint apps, nice job vod

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2013, 04:11 PM »
Very Cool Vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Dark Red and Purple apparently isn't original anymore :P :laugh: :laugh: I like the design on your right cheek ;D

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2013, 10:32 PM »
Thanks for all the lovely comments guys! I now have access to a camera (and Bulgarian moonshine, but that's another matter entirely :P) so I should be getting some pictures up later today (assuming I can be bothered getting out of bed :D).

It's... beautiful! ;D

And my sister thinks you resemble Orlando Bloom. :P  :laugh:

Ahahah, thank you! Its beauty distracts from the fact that I'm about to murder >:D And I can't say I see the resemblance, but thanking your sister nonetheless :P

Dark Red and Purple apparently isn't original anymore :P :laugh: :laugh: I like the design on your right cheek ;D

Heh, I'm sure it's been done before I got a hold of it! Though admittedly I couldn't find any kits with these colours... Still, the more the merrier :D Thank you!

B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Naren Sprax

• So I says to Mable, I says...
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2013, 02:18 AM »
Bravo!  ;D

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Bravo!  ;D

Thank you Adam!

So, I said I'd supply higher quality pictures, so here the are. I'll let them do most of the talking!

Obviously I need to fix up the visor attachment; I intend to strip out the hot glue and use the three-point bolt method instead. I also need to clean up the vents a little and fix up the padding, as the helmet currently rides up when I lean forward. A few more blackwashes wouldn't hurt either!

Other then that I am very very happy with how it turned out!

B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 03:59 PM »
Nice pics vod ;) looks even cooler

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2013, 12:50 AM »
Just a quick update to make!
I finally, following P.O.Os instruction, got the bolts for the visor glued in. Though I think I may have them slightly misaligned:

I also got a much-needed neck seal made, albeit a simple one:

Hopefully I'll get some pictures of the finished helmet and neck seal later, with the rest of the kit, later tonight :D
Thanks for reading!

B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2013, 08:50 AM »
Very nice weathering work!

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #15 on: Jun 12, 2013, 09:33 AM »
That's a Great looking Buy'ce ner'vod ...... Fine Job ...    8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267
« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2013, 10:14 AM »
Very cool design! Look great Vod! :)

« Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2013, 05:47 AM »
Weathering Looks great. Can't wait to see more.

"Remember the weakness of weapons, they are an extension.
You are the killer and the destroyer.
You are whole, with or without them."
-Richard K. Morgan-

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!