Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Harness Systems

• 19 Replies

IronMando

• Doofus
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Harness Systems
« on: Jun 26, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Don't know if this belongs here or the soft parts forum, but I'll be constructing my harness soon and I was wondering if you had pics you'd like to share. Also I want to see if there are different styles that have been made, or if everyone shares a fairly consistent style. Also, how do you attach clips to your pack? Directly, or do you have some slack with straps?

Mandalorian Merc # 0294
"I was blue before you."

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Harness Systems
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2008, 09:29 AM »
I would post up pics of mine...but I cut it all up to use the straps after I ditched the pack.  I'll see if I can't draw up something to explain how I made mine.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Ok, got something for ya.

Basically...go buy a couple yards worth of 1 inch strapping (found near fasteners at Joanns).  Take the piece of strapping and wrap it around your chest just under your pecks (so it's on your rib cage) and have it meet in the middle.  Give yourself about 2 inches on one side extra and 6 inches on the other side extra.  Pick up 3 clip kits (found near the strapping).  Feed both sides into their respective clips, sew the one with 2 extra inches down to itself so that it stays attached.  The other side with the 6 inches is your "adjustment side" that allows you to pull the strap tight across your chest.

Make sure you use a lighter on the ends of all your cuts so the strap doesn't fray.  Just burn it for a couple of seconds and wait until it cools before you touch it.

Now, put the chest strap on, and tighten it up.  Make sure the chest clip is centered.

Take another strap piece and pin it to the front of the chest strap so that it lays up over your shoulder and down your back.  Where you pin it in the front is where it will be sewn.  Now, mark where it hits the back of the chest strap and cut it off there.  Pin it to the back of the chest strap so it now looks like suspenders attached to your chest strap.  You'll sew that strap there and repeat for the other shoulder strap.

Congrats, now you have a man bra.

Ok, now after you've sewn all that, put it back on again, tighten it up.  Take a small piece and sew it across the back as a "reinforcer bar", basically keeping the shoulder straps from falling apart.

Now, with the leftover clips (should have 2 sets) one side will attach to your backpack...that will vary on how your pack is made...but the best way is to sew a small piece of the strapping to one side of the clip and screw and glue it down to the pack (I can get a pic of this later when I get home).

The other side of the clips need to be put onto the harness.  Take two 6-8 inch strips of strapping and sew them just above the "reinforcer bar" or whereever you want the pack to hang.  Keep in mind that where you sew determines how far up they adjust.  So just above the shoulder blades is probably the best place.  Only sew about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of the strap to the harness with the rest hanging down towards the floor.  Feed your clip onto this and you should be finished.

The vest will need holes cut in the back for the clips.  Best way to do this is to wear the harness, ajust the "back clips" as tight as they can go, then put the vest on over top.  Have someone feel where the clips are and then mark out a small rectangle hole for the clips.  Cut that out and sew around the hole to prevent fraying.  Then put it all on.

Before someone zips up the vest, they'll need to push the clips through the holes in the vest.  Adjust the back clips so they hang down a bit.  Then clip the pack into place and pull the straps on the back clip until it's tight.

That should hold everything in place.

If your backpack is too heavy, this technique may not work for you.  This will only support a certain amount of weight...but I know that it worked for Runi Netra and his big "sandtrooper style" backpack as I helped him make the harness.

Hope that helps.

IronMando

• Doofus
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2008, 01:36 PM »
Wow... that's a lot to read and I don't exactly have the time. But I will say what I had in mind: I've got some strapping around here somewhere, and yesterday I picked up picture hangers of all things. I plan to screw those into the pack, and then carribeaner them to the harness.

Mandalorian Merc # 0294
"I was blue before you."

Dar'manda

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2008, 02:06 PM »
The harness system I posted then should work just about the same.  Just swap out the 2 extra clip sets for your caribeaners.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2008, 02:24 PM »
Ah, and now for the ultimate test of the Burninator's instructions....does it work for a girl? (yes there is a reason for me asking, I swear I'm not just trying to be difficult)

Dar'manda

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2008, 02:51 PM »
I couldn't say for sure, but I don't see how they wouldn't with a little modification.  I suppose you'd have to change up the position of the shoulder straps so they don't cut right across your front...basically moving them more off to the sides or closer to the middle.

Although, for what it's worth...I don't have the most muscular chest...if you catch my drift...and don't have any problems with the design.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Lol, gotcha....thanks!

Racin *OUCH* Falco

• Solus Nynir , Solus Kyr'amur
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2008, 10:36 PM »
Just stared this tonight, and promptly ran outta strapping ( bought 2.5 yards of it) and I'm a rather small framed dude. Also have to finish he JP, but great help Tag :)  ;D

"Hinge Boob Cups and Butt Capes"

Frost K'Amon

• We will bury them!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2008, 12:47 AM »
Well, having made several different harnesses for my wing pack, I've officially decided there is only one truely good way to do a comfortable and workable harness for a good JP.

An old backpack. you cut the actual pack part off, leaving the straps and the cloth backing supporting them, and then attach that to the inside of the pack. it requires slightly more space in your vest, BUT it's immensely more comfortable, and will be much easier to make.

I find that nylon webbing (currently employed on my pack), hurts your shoulders, back, and even hips after a while pending on what your pack is made out of.

IronMando

• Doofus
« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2008, 01:01 AM »
Hmm, my pack (unless I give it to someone else) is light enough I was thinking of just attaching it to my backplate. But idk... it might not be light enough.

Mandalorian Merc # 0294
"I was blue before you."
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:49 AM »
Oya, it work lurvally...used it on my backpack.  It works for girls, I reapeat, it works for girls! :D

NjovrahRhaad

• A favor is an investment.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Ok, got something for ya.

Basically...go buy a couple yards worth of 1 inch strapping (found near fasteners at Joanns).  Take the piece of strapping and wrap it around your chest just under your pecks (so it's on your rib cage) and have it meet in the middle.  Give yourself about 2 inches on one side extra and 6 inches on the other side extra.  Pick up 3 clip kits (found near the strapping).  Feed both sides into their respective clips, sew the one with 2 extra inches down to itself so that it stays attached.  The other side with the 6 inches is your "adjustment side" that allows you to pull the strap tight across your chest.

Make sure you use a lighter on the ends of all your cuts so the strap doesn't fray.  Just burn it for a couple of seconds and wait until it cools before you touch it.

Now, put the chest strap on, and tighten it up.  Make sure the chest clip is centered.

Take another strap piece and pin it to the front of the chest strap so that it lays up over your shoulder and down your back.  Where you pin it in the front is where it will be sewn.  Now, mark where it hits the back of the chest strap and cut it off there.  Pin it to the back of the chest strap so it now looks like suspenders attached to your chest strap.  You'll sew that strap there and repeat for the other shoulder strap.

Congrats, now you have a man bra.

Ok, now after you've sewn all that, put it back on again, tighten it up.  Take a small piece and sew it across the back as a "reinforcer bar", basically keeping the shoulder straps from falling apart.

Now, with the leftover clips (should have 2 sets) one side will attach to your backpack...that will vary on how your pack is made...but the best way is to sew a small piece of the strapping to one side of the clip and screw and glue it down to the pack (I can get a pic of this later when I get home).

The other side of the clips need to be put onto the harness.  Take two 6-8 inch strips of strapping and sew them just above the "reinforcer bar" or whereever you want the pack to hang.  Keep in mind that where you sew determines how far up they adjust.  So just above the shoulder blades is probably the best place.  Only sew about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of the strap to the harness with the rest hanging down towards the floor.  Feed your clip onto this and you should be finished.

The vest will need holes cut in the back for the clips.  Best way to do this is to wear the harness, ajust the "back clips" as tight as they can go, then put the vest on over top.  Have someone feel where the clips are and then mark out a small rectangle hole for the clips.  Cut that out and sew around the hole to prevent fraying.  Then put it all on.

Before someone zips up the vest, they'll need to push the clips through the holes in the vest.  Adjust the back clips so they hang down a bit.  Then clip the pack into place and pull the straps on the back clip until it's tight.

That should hold everything in place.

If your backpack is too heavy, this technique may not work for you.  This will only support a certain amount of weight...but I know that it worked for Runi Netra and his big "sandtrooper style" backpack as I helped him make the harness.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, it really did help a load! Will this "man bra" hold a sintra jetpack that's about 10 to 15 pounds? If yes, I have to start working on it! :)

On my 407th year atop the mountain began a period of terrible nightmares. Scenes of death and destruction. I did not sleep for 20 human years. I sought the council of the great Master.

"Master, you teach me the hidden techniques in a bid to make me a great warrior. Yet I can not sleep due to the sight of death, of destruction. I feel uneasy. I simply lay awake."

He replied in a whisper:

"You feel awake... alive, at the sight of battle, and you doubt your skills as a warrior?"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2010, 01:05 AM »
Something that might be of use to someone (even though I am new to this hobby/ way of life)  is the military back pack.  I saw a few at the army surplus store today, but didn't plan on making a back pack, so didn't get one.   They come with a great way to support it, plenty of places to attach things, and I'm sure there not hard to mod to put just about anything on.

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2010, 03:11 AM »
I'm planning on using a Moll-E vest to attach my backpack when/if I finally make it.

Those who wander aren't always lost.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 27, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Something that might be of use to someone (even though I am new to this hobby/ way of life)  is the military back pack.  I saw a few at the army surplus store today, but didn't plan on making a back pack, so didn't get one.   They come with a great way to support it, plenty of places to attach things, and I'm sure there not hard to mod to put just about anything on.

This is what I am planning on using for mine.  I will post some pix of the military backpack system for you.  The old ones use aluminum tubing, but the newer ones are strong black plastic.  You can also attach any straps that you like.

Zevlar Rayco

• MMCC197 M.A.J.I.C 59
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Apr 27, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Tags looks amazingly like the one over on TK-409's site.
http://tk409.com/fett.html
look down the right side & you'll find it.

"Let your woes become your deadliest weapons."

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:21 PM »
I was going to have a shoe maker make me a "4 point" leather backpack style X harness with a buckle between the    >    <    because I am welding mine out of 3mm aluminum         I chese teh aluminum because it would be less painfull when I get weathering...

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Baraga Synn

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2015, 07:27 AM »
does anyone sell the harness already completed
?

« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2015, 09:08 PM »
I opted not to go with a harness for my jetpack.  My pack is a standard Boba style pack and is made from sintra, cardstock, PVC tubes, various plastic bottle parts, and some bondo.  It weighs only 5 pounds total.  It bolts directly to my back plate with four 1/4" bolts.  The back plate then bolts onto my vest's shoulders with an additional four 1/4" bolts.  (There's also a lot of velcro between the vest and the back plate.)  My vest is adjustable and fits very snug and is very comfortable to wear even with the back plate and jetpack bolted on.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!