Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Early Crusader (WIP - Helmet - Sanding) Advice Always Appreciated

• 59 Replies
Re: Tylek's Crusader (Planning-Now with Concept Art)
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 11:56 PM »
Alright, bucket under way. Took me a couple of tries to get the size down to a point that I liked the way it sat and worked. Just adding horns and some different ridges to make it a little more /unique. Once the first coat of bondo is dried and sanded I'll put it up for people to discuss.

First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: Tylek's Crusader (WIP - Concept Pics only - So Far)
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 01:08 AM »
I look forward to it! :D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it
Re: Tylek's Crusader (WIP - Concept Pics only - So Far)
« Reply #27 on: Jun 04, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Alright, so, running behind, but I figured I may as well post some WIP pics so far. This is what I started with as a base, Fiberglass and Bondo pics to come.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: Tylek's Crusader (WIP - Helmet Construction Pics - pg. 2)
« Reply #28 on: Jun 05, 2013, 01:10 AM »
 :o That looks like it'll make a fantastic base! Moar pics! ;D

« Reply #29 on: Jun 05, 2013, 01:16 AM »
So, some things that I have learned while doing this:

1) You may be entirely able to skip the fiberglass stage. I may try that on something later, but for now, I did it. However, one must hit that mesh up with a heavy coat of resin and allow it to dry before applying fiberglass mats. Unfortunately it doesn't stick well to the bare metal, there's not enough surface area for it to cling to, when doing the interior (had to do that in two parts because of finding this out while in mid glassing (not impressed.)

2) Nitrile gloves and fiberglass resin do not seem to mix in a healthy way. About half way through my gloves were dissolving on my hands. Which resulted in a mad rush to find my thinner. I'm not sure if it's cause they're an off brand, or what, but man those gloves sucked...

3) Never underestimate the power of a pregnant woman's sense of smell. Even if you're fiberglassing in a workshop apart from the house, you will be told that what you are doing stinks in no pleasant terms.  :laugh:

More as it progresses.

:o That looks like it'll make a fantastic base! Moar pics! ;D

Thanks Serim!

Sidi Ren

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #30 on: Jun 06, 2013, 05:16 PM »
It looks amazingly awesome! I am so excited for you! I would see about getting some paperclay instead of resin or likewise sculpy may work for a base. Sculpey will be heavier though.

Man that metal looks like it could kill, I bet more than the fiberglass resin did a number on your hands >.>

« Reply #31 on: Jun 10, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Alrighty, thank you very much Sidi, and yes the Metal did do a number on my fingers until I smartened up and put the leather work gloves on, then it was cake. ;)

So, moved onto the fiberglass stage and got as much on there as I am satisfied with. I've toyed with doing everything, but unfortunately I lose a little bit of detail with the glass in certain areas, so I'll be hitting the other meshed areas with bondo/paperclay instead at this point. So here you go, this is what I have so far.

As always, pictures don't quite do it the justice it deserves, but it's a start. :)

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Something I just thought of: How well does it fit on your head? I guess we haven't really seen anything for us to really get a good sense of scale, so it would be good know if it fits you before you go too much farther 8)

Hey Serim, it actually fits amazingly well, I've left some room for padding and the like and the pictures don't show it as much as it is, but the front flares out, where the nose and mouth should be (typical Mando style) As a result I've got about an inch in front of my nose, And when the padding in the top is in, it sits rather well. I can take some pics of that soon, if you'd like?

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Oh, well if you've got an inch... :rolleyes: Sounds like it'll fit well, but do include pics of you wearing it in the next update, just for the awesomeness! ;)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
That's looking great so far. Using wire mesh as a base for fiberglass is a great idea, that I'd never have thought of. I'll have to store that trick away in the memory banks in case it ever comes in handy :D

Oh, well if you've got an inch... :rolleyes: Sounds like it'll fit well, but do include pics of you wearing it in the next update, just for the awesomeness! ;)

Yes, thank you Serim. :) I will do that, working on the Y/T cut out now to see what I like and what will be functional with the style.

That's looking great so far. Using wire mesh as a base for fiberglass is a great idea, that I'd never have thought of. I'll have to store that trick away in the memory banks in case it ever comes in handy :D

Thank you Tracyn, and yeah, it has it's ups and downs. Getting the initial layer of fiberglass to adhere is a pita. If the shape were simpler I probably wouldn't have had an issue, but there was much cursing involved at the beginning. I am thinking that a thin layer of paperclay would go a long way.

And progress continues. We're onto the bondo stage. There's about two coats on it now, and sanding has been going well. I hope to have some pics up for tomorrow.

Alright, so we're moving on,

First application of Bondo. There was some light test sanding done on top to make sure that things were goign to go well, thankfully the powered little sander and 100grit cuts this stuff down quick and into shape. Which made me feel better about my less than smoooooth application of bondo.

And for Serim to see my studly self... Well, these horns make the bucket look a lot bigger than it is. Or maybe I just have a big head. Cause I can't really make this bucket all that smaller without squishing my ears and face.. So someone please tell me that the scale isn't too bad. :) Also my concept has a large pauldron so it should make the helmet look a little better, not to mention I am standing horribly slouched as a result of having no padding in the helmet at the moment and trying to keep it from rolling forward. :)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
That sizing looks great. Once you have other armour on it will bulk you up and make everything look in proportion again :) It's not at all uncommon for people to worry about whether their helmet is too big when they just put it on, and none of the rest of the armour.

That sizing looks great. Once you have other armour on it will bulk you up and make everything look in proportion again :) It's not at all uncommon for people to worry about whether their helmet is too big when they just put it on, and none of the rest of the armour.

Thanks Tracyn, I feel better already . :)

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: Tylek's Crusader (WIP - New Helmet Pics - Bondo - Page 3)
« Reply #41 on: Jun 17, 2013, 12:48 AM »
At first I was worried, then I read what Tracyn said and he's right ;D The horns really do make it look more massive than it is, and I have a feeling once the bondo is sanded down it'll look even better!

This is shaping up really cool! 8)

Sidi Ren

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Tylek's Crusader (WIP - New Helmet Pics - Bondo - Page 3)
« Reply #42 on: Jun 17, 2013, 01:51 PM »
That is a lot of work and a lot of sanding. I do not envy you. It looks great though!

Re: Early Crusader (WIP - Helmet - Sanding Stage 1)
« Reply #43 on: Jun 21, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Alright! First series of sanding complete. Here's a couple pics. Anyone have any comments regarding the styling, will this work? Will it be /mando/ enough?

I am currently laying out the visor outline to see how that is going to look. Will add more pics when done.

And onto the next applications of bondo and the like...

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Looks Mando to me! ;D And it ain't even got the T visor yet!

And there. I broke my last cutting/shaping disc on my dremel, so I will have to clean it up tomorrow.

But you get the point...

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
 :o Woah! Now that makes a huge difference! Very kewl! 8)

:o Woah! Now that makes a huge difference! Very kewl! 8)

Thanks Serim! Will clean up that opening, then another couple coats of bondo, some more sculpting, sanding and spot treatments. Then off to the horns... Oh, and then all the little details that I've been looking forward to. :)

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Looks great to me, I'm not biased or anything though... :P :laugh: ;)

Looks great to me, I'm not biased or anything though... :P :laugh: ;)

Thanks Seugtai. I am not sure if you saw my ode to your kit earlier in this thread. With so little reference pictures, I got half way into my helmet and then started going through all the forums and realized I was using the same reference that you used!! I do so love your kit and I do hope that you will take my using portions of your kit as a reference as the flattery it is meant to be. :)

Also (Late Edit): The helmet had suffered it's first fall. The table I was working on gave out and it fell three feet to the concrete below. It bounced... and there was a tiny scuff on the side. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of damage, but my heart nearly stopped while it was all happening.

« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2013, 12:24 AM by Tylek Ren » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!