Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Early Crusader (WIP - Helmet - Sanding) Advice Always Appreciated

• 59 Replies
Hello there Mercs!

I am fairly new to this site, but have really been following you through a friend here so it's been great to see all the work that everyone has put not only into their kits but into their communities as well. I'm a really big fan of the atmosphere that you strive to create and work at throughout the boards and with the people that you talk with. So thank you for having a place like this for such an active member base.

Onto the project:

This is my first build of the Star Wars setting, so I have some questions which may be basic, but I would love your input all the same (or reference links if I missed something obvious.)

I am looking at building a Crusader kit, with the idea that it will go to Beastmaster in the future, or perhaps right away. Now from what I understand of Crusader armor, I've a few questions:

Most Crusader armors are supposedly sealed for hard vaccuum (or so I believe if I'm reading it right,) would the Beastmaster set be this as well?

I would like to do a TT helmet design, but highly customized can the bottoms of the | | members be drawn to points instead of all the way to the bottom of the helmet?

Is there anything obvious that I should note about such a build? :P Loaded question I know.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2013, 09:59 PM by Tylek Ren » Logged
First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Tylek's Crusader (Planning Stage)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Hey Tylek.   I'm starting to awaken from a winter hibernation and haven't been around much so things may be a little different, but a Late Crusader does have to be sealed and the TT can come to a point as you plan. 

Looking forward to seeing some sketches of what you have in mind!

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Thanks Zophar, I will see what I can put together. I've got a few other projects that are in desperate need of being done and put off my work bench so that I can make room for this one. Hopefully they will be done soon. :)

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:35 PM »
You mentioned this was your first foray into Star Wars.  What else have you done?   Have you done any costuming before?  Have you gotten as far as thinking what you might want to build your armour out of?

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Currently I am putting together a WH40k kit for fun with a friend. I have also done several things in the past with the SCA. back before digital cameras... Man I feel old.. haha. Not that I couldn't scan some of these pics.

I am using sintra for my current build and will be doing the same for the crusader kit. I have been really impressed with its ease of use.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Sintra is a popular choice here.   Good luck :-D

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 04:14 PM »
Sintra is a popular choice here.   Good luck :-D

Aye, it's not like the SCA where it had to withstand being struck repeatedly throughout the day. Sintra is much better to walk out in the sun for a couple hours than a steel can. I am looking forward to it.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Hey, Tylek! I can't wait to see what you've got planned! With you and Zophar (and MAYBE me in the distant future) we're gunna have a lot of Crusaders in BC :)

I'll be lurking ;)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Thanks Serim, soon(tm) will be my promise... We've got another bundle of joy on the way in October, so I'm attempting to power through everything I can this summer, but we'll see what life holds in store.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 05:21 PM »
Forgive my double post, but I just wanted to ask another question. As I mentioned before, I was looking at doing a TT helmet, that said, as I've gone through all the early Era Crusader, I'm seeing a severe lack there of.

The kit I am planning for, is early Crusader, bone/plate/etc. but I am now wondering if a TT helmet is going to fit that period. Any help/suggestions/comments would be entirely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 05:44 PM »
From the Early Era CRLs:

1. Helmet:
-Helmet or mask with full head cover. Visor of "T style" that cannot be seen through from front.

Sorry, looks like a TT won't work in that era :( However, the Late Crusader's can have them ;D

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 11:22 PM »
Pretty much only a "T" or "Y" style visor.
Get some concepts up so we can see whet your thinking and we'll all be on the same page and be able to better help out. ;)

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Just a quick sketch, forgive the lack of artistic skills, and some of the scales/proportions may be out.

Let me know if anything is glaringly wrong.

The intention is for most hard parts to be bone/simulated bone/carapace.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:26 PM by Tylek Ren » Logged
Re: Tylek's Crusader (Planning-Now with Concept Art)
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 05:52 PM »
alright, missed one minor detail, well I'm sure I missed several, but I realize that that loincloth needs to go under the belt. :) Will adjust.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 02:10 PM »
Thats an Interesting concept vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 02:24 PM »
As far as I know (and I'm not really a "master" of the early crusader era CRLs), it looks like it will pass, beside the loincloth which you have already mentioned :D

May I ask what that arm cape is supposed to be made out of? It looks like it's all scales :-\

Can't wait to see it come to life!

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 02:38 PM »
You are right it is scales. A friend had the great idea of making it out of thin cuts of leather. Yes it will be a lot of work, but I think it will look pretty decent. Most likely hit it with an emerald rub n buff. Or something moire native to the SW theme, some edge tinting and polish and then set it. It should be ok.

Also, Niabi, define... 'interesting' ;D

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Also, Niabi, define... 'interesting' ;D

I just mean interesting vod ;) no hidden meaning at all 

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Alright. Thanks niabi.  :laugh:

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Alright, so I have this really high density stainless steel mesh (it's a tight diamond pattern that can be stretched, shaped, and formed to whatever shape one really wants.) Theoretically, I could make the entire helmet without any seams (which I will attempt to do.) Then I would add an additional layer to reinforce the area where the horns were going to attach and finally fiberglass/bondo the sucker to completion.

Has anyone ever done a helmet this way? I've done this before for model mountains/landscaping for my WH40K tables, It's fiarly lightweight stuff, but once it's glassed it's near indestructible.

Any thoughts/comments/concerns would be welcome. (obviously cutting for the visor will require a slight  over cut and then patch to prevent the edge of the metal mesh from every wearing through... actually now that I think about that, I'll cut the visor opening after the first/second layer of fiberglass. That way I can wrap the edges and build them up properly without worry.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 04:29 PM »
I have never seen anyone make a helmet that way ;) that would be cool to see ;)

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 05:33 PM »
I have never seen anyone make a helmet that way ;) that would be cool to see ;)

I'll be sure to put together a decent series of photos as it comes together.

Thanks Niabi.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 11:52 AM »
Alright, so moving ahead with this project. All you folks make it more interesting/easier to get involved with these things cause of your positive responses. Yesterday, on a whim I called my local sign shop (the place I get my Sintra from) They had some off cuts that were no longer useful to them, and a couple of other pieces, so ended up with a half sheet of 6mm for $20. That's in Canadian prices for those who get their Sintra cheaper. Heh. So that was exciting.

Began the formation of the helmet last night after printing off a half dozen reference pics. Will hopefully have something pic worthy soon.

(I suppose I could move this to the WiP threads.)

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 12:21 PM »
This place is fine for this thread. People usually use the planning boards as the central location for all their updates, then start part specific threads, to show more detail on them, if they feel like it (ie. chestplates and such in Body Armor, helmet in Helmets, yada yada yada) ;)

Speaking of the helmet, I am supremely intrigued by the process you have described, and I can't wait to see what kind of results it brings!

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Thanks, Serim.

So, after more scouring of the forums, I have discovered that someone here has already done a very, very nice crusader kit with a whole lot of excellent work, detail, and the like. I think you all know who she is. So, this question goes out to Seugtai, would you by chance know if there are any more decent (full shots) of early Mando's? I noticed that one of the references I was using just so happens to be the same one as yours and while I think it's an amazing reference (which you've done incredible justice to) I don't want to have the /same/ kit as someone else. Not that I would, I'm not sure that I can put in as much detail and awesomeness as you did on yours, but you did provide me with some inspiration and some thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!