Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tyno Krast bucket (Asok CC)

• 69 Replies

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Tyno Krast bucket (Asok CC)
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47 AM »
First layer of color is down.

For the next layer should I do an esthetic primer between the blue and the next layer or just put the next layer right over the blue?

Vhett Naast

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 07:55 AM »
This is looking real good  8)  I've never done a primer layer in-between coats, so I'd say just put on your next one.  But it is up to you  ;)

Naren Sprax

• So I says to Mable, I says...
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Looks great! Not sure I understand what the "aesthetic primer" layer would do. Wouldn't that just cover all that pretty blue? Or would it just be a dusting of color?

Tyno Krast

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Thanks vode! It's getting there. Going to slap down the next layer of color today. No aesthetic primer.

The "aesthetic" primer is just supposed to simulate an "in universe" primer or old helmet color. For example...if you didn't have a cold cast helmet you might want to hit the lid with a primer, then lay down a coat of metallic, then add the aesthetic primer. But because of the cold cast there really isn't a need to do that. However, I was thinking that maybe a mando might prime before adding a new layer of color. But really....would a mando give osik about more primer? Probably not. So I'm just going for color over color.  :P

The blue does look kind of cool but it's not my primary color. Because I've done two different Cpt Rex costumes old man Rex has been a pretty big part of my life for a couple of years. So the blue is my nod to him. Also the backstory for Tyno includes Rex and the 501st Legion. So Tyno himself has a lot of respect for Rex. So for a long time he honored the Old Man by wearing his colors.

But I think if I went with just the blue then it would be too close to Rex and either not acceptable for OM or confusing for civies. Hell, whenever I wear my TIE gear people call me Darth Vader. So I'm pretty sure if kids see a guy in white armor with blue markings and blue jaig eyes I'd be called Rex. I want the nod to be visible but not overly obvious. So the pretty blue will be mostly covered with red. It'll show through in a few areas. but for the most part it will be subtle....at least that's the plan. I'm not very good at subtle.  ;D

Tyno Krast

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Not very happy with the results. Still have all of the topical weathering and grime to do. As well as the color for the cheek well and back of the helmet. But at the moment I'm not thrilled with the color scheme.

I think I'll also touch up the jaig eyes a bit. I like them but I think they are a little too damaged.

Naren Sprax

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 09:40 PM »
I know you have more weathering and grime to go and perhaps that would tone the blue down a bit? With your experience I'm sure it'll end up looking good. But to be brutally honest, I get a painters tape vibe off the blue bits, but I'm guessing that is mostly because I have been using it a lot lately.  :P Civies probably wouldn't see it like I am. Maybe more blue as a top color somewhere might help?

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 09:52 PM »
I'd be pretty happy with that :P

Yeah maybe use the blue for the upper cheeks there? That wold tie it together nicely.

Vhett Naast

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 10:38 PM »
I think that looks pretty doggone sweet.  8)  I agree with Point, blue on the upper cheeks might help tie it together.

Naren Sprax

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 11:47 PM »
I'd be pretty happy with that :P

Yeah maybe use the blue for the upper cheeks there? That wold tie it together nicely.

That's what I was thinking. And I agree the overall look is great!

Tyno Krast

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 10:40 AM »
Thanks for the feedback vode. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Initially the plan was to do the cheek wells in a beige/tan type color. But you guys think the Rex blue would be best?

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 10:47 AM »
It's completely up to you, but it would make sense.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Very Nice work vod ;) Im liking it a lot ;) and i agree with the blue on the cheeks

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jango Jet

• Jai'galaar Clan
« Reply #27 on: Jun 01, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Very cool  8)

Verd ori'shya Beskar'gam - Ein Krieger ist mehr als seine Rüstung

Fenn Shysa-Build:

Helmet: 60%
Armor: 80%
Softparts: 100%
Weapons: 50%

Nickname: Shiny

Arador Khel

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #28 on: Jun 12, 2013, 05:12 PM »
nice work.  your images of the screws secured to the inside of the bucket is exactly what I've been looking for!  thanx for the intel!

Tyno Krast

« Reply #29 on: Jun 15, 2013, 05:29 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Glad I could help you out Arador!

Well I decided on a repaint. There was just too much about it that I didn't like.

The red/blue/white just wasn't doing it for me and I think I did go a little overboard with the weathering. Especially around the jaig eyes.

So I stripped off all the paint and got it back down to the cold cast base.

What I'm looking at doing now is a grey main coat (dome and cheeks) with either dark green or black in the cheek wells, and either yellow or orange for the visor and jaig eyes.

I keep leaning toward yellow but I think the grey/orange combo might look ok as well. Still undecided.

At the moment I've got all of the chips drawn on and will be laying down the toothpaste and "primer" later this weekend. I'll get pics up ASAP

Thanks again everyone for the support and advice.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!