Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Acceptable torso design for "Modern Mando"?

yes
3 (37.5%)
no
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Canon/Modern Chest Armor vs. Custom Chest Armor

• 10 Replies

Arador Khel

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Canon/Modern Chest Armor vs. Custom Chest Armor
« on: May 20, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I'm new here and have looked for the answer to my question regarding standard and custom chest armor.  I've seen many pics of the standard armor (with diamond center piece), and several that appear to be of a more custom nature.  What are the rules regarding custom chest plates and the use of pouches in place of the stomach armor?

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Canon/Modern Chest Armor vs. Custom Chest Armor
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:48 PM »
If we presume that you're talking Modern Era... if you're going for a Canon build then you have to be just that, Canon to a tee. If you're going for a custom build, you've got pretty free reign as long as it "looks Mandalorian" which is subjective, and covers enough area. This is why we encourage folks to post pics of their concepts and work ;)

Things that generally "look Mandalorian" include as you mentioned the chest diamond, three distinct areas (collar, chest, abs) to basic shape as well. Some folks have different shapes because they can, some folks have different shapes because they fit their body type better than a canon design would.

Pouches on top of an ab plate I would imagine to be fine - that has canon referencing if I'm not mistaken in an action figure.

Arador Khel

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:13 PM »
10-4....thanx for the intel Vod  :).  I'm still trying to figure out how to attach pics. "Modern Era" it appears, is what I'm doing.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:31 PM »
Grab yourself a Photobucket account or similar, upload to there and use the "img" links to post pics here ;)

Arador Khel

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 01:33 PM »

Just figure it out.  Here's a close-up of the torso at current.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 08:02 PM »
I'm not on the app team but I don't see an issue with that ;)

Gel'ren Drask

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:11 PM »
I would, however, adjust the spacing a bit.  It's nearly touching the collar plate, so either adjust the spacing or trim it down some.

Gel'ren "Mercelangelo" Drask Firestorm Clan
E.M.T.S #40
B.E.A.R.D.S #23

BobaFiend

• "Put Captain Cargo in the Solo Hold"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Boba and Jango Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16 PM »
There is quite a bit to be said for subtlety.  The sigil was 3" tall on Fett's shoulder bell and has become iconic. I doesn't need to be 14" blazen across your chest.  This loses any semblance of reality or believability to the design. 

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:05 AM »
The only things i would suggest, is one, Change the pouches, they're a little too familiar. And secondly, because we don't see the abplate, i would add the diamond.

BedlamX

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 09:53 AM »
Adding the diamond is the most clear way to make an armor look "Mando" in my opinion. Especially a modern kit as I think those should immediately make a viewer think Boba or Jango if they are just casual Star Wars and Mando fans.

On the collar for this chest plat layout, I would suggest a custom collar plate that matches the contours of the upper part of the chest plates. The vast majority of armors I have seen have a fairly constant spacing between the chest and collar plates to give the idea of more coverage. Yours have fairly large gaps on the sides that would immediately be a target for an enemy and makes it seem a bit off to me.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Jaro

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:55 AM »
There is quite a bit to be said for subtlety.  The sigil was 3" tall on Fett's shoulder bell and has become iconic. I doesn't need to be 14" blazen across your chest.  This loses any semblance of reality or believability to the design.

Actually the larger skulls are becoming quite popular in the mercs. For example they are on the Skirata Arms Supercommando helmet V1 and V2, plus there is someone making chest plates with a huge skull that kinda 'pops' out. Was it RKD? I can't remember.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!