Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

It's jet pack time!

• 17 Replies

Tor'dola Magnus

• Nothing runs... like my Bounty
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
It's jet pack time!
« on: Jun 09, 2013, 09:54 AM »
I finally got around to starting work on my jet pack last night.  I'm using a couple paint trays as the general shape, which seemed to work very well for another guy I'd seen on here.

I didn't get any photos of where I have glassed so far, we decided the trays are so flimsy that after we made the "fat" part solid with the fiberglass,  we wrapped it all in a layer of tape to give it more body and hopefully make the rest of the glassing process easier.

And here are the pictures:

I'm expecting there to be a bit of bondo put on here, but I am going to keep a few of the dents, as I'm sure they'll add a bit of character to the prop.

As always, give me ideas, pointers, anything that may help!

Oyacyir de balac, kar'taylir darasuum de gaanader, kyr'amur de bora
"LIVE by chance... LOVE by Choice... KILL by Profession"

E.M.T.S. #083
MAD:036
M.A. #098

ForceHunter WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63712.0

Riven Kassle

• "Put your credits where your mouth is"
Re: It's jet pack time!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Hey buddy,

Looks like a good base shape: question... are the paint trays as solid as say... a rubbermaid storage container or a tupperware bowl?  Or are they thinner than that?

Tor'dola Magnus

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2013, 05:18 PM »
Hey buddy,

Looks like a good base shape: question... are the paint trays as solid as say... a rubbermaid storage container or a tupperware bowl?  Or are they thinner than that?

Imagine printer paper... only plastic.   This weekend after getting one or two more things from Lowe's,  I will be adding layers of resin to build a good form.   Then bondo, sanding, Bondo, sanding, primer, details, primer, paint, electronics,  then weathering.

Honestly i hope i can make somethingthat looks as good as yours.

E.M.T.S. #083
M.A. #098

Riven Kassle

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2013, 06:58 AM »
Sounds like you have a good plan :)  I have never attempted to build up something really sturdy with bondo, starting from something that slim.  It seems like it will be quiet a bit of work but you also seem like you know exactly what you're getting into!  Thanks for the compliment by the way.  I'm sure you'll create an awesome pack.  Personally, I love my rivets.  They're just one of the best ways to permanently attach things.  Seems like they wouldn't work too well with bondo but that could just be my inexperience with the material.  I have a lot of it at home but so far, I've only really used the spot and glazing putty much.
I'm not sure if you planned it already, but it's a good idea to plan this early on:  a hinged door on the back side that will allow you easy access to the internal area of your pack for managing the electronics ;)

I'll be watching your build, best of luck!

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2013, 08:40 AM »
Neat! Go resin for strength, Bondo for shape.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Tor'dola Magnus

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2013, 12:58 PM »
Neat! Go resin for strength, Bondo for shape.

Exactly my plan!  Second coat today.  then I have one mre thing to add and glue into place, and one more thin coat of resin over that, and I'll have everything I need in place for me to start using bondo and sanding.

E.M.T.S. #083
M.A. #098

Tor'dola Magnus

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Pictures! 

Those "panels" will eventually be homes to some switches and LEDs.  My supplement bottle will become a tank attached to the side by a couple small PVC elbows.

The pipe sticking out the bottom is not part of the end design.  It is part of the stand we pieced together from that, the table on our deck, and some cardboard.

I made a Lowe's run, this is everything that will be in the Jet Pack. (still figuring out where to put the cat)

E.M.T.S. #083
M.A. #098

Riven Kassle

« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Awesome!  Love the shot with your cat in it.  I love how curious they can be.  I do most of my work out in the shop but anytime I bring home bags of new stuff, my cat has to inspect all of it.

Looks like some excellent materials you've got ready for it.   The Dremel is worth it's weight in gold :D  Have fun with it bro

Tor'dola Magnus

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2013, 06:43 PM »
MORE progress.

Above and below, you can see I completed my first layer of resin.

While waiting for the resin to cure, I put together the body of the "rocket quiver" that will be attached to the right side of the jump pack.  once the resin is cured, I'll get the proper measurements, and cut the quiver to fit around the pack.

EDIT:
ROCKET QUIVER!

« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2013, 07:44 AM by MavRix Gunna » Logged

E.M.T.S. #083
M.A. #098

Tor'dola Magnus

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2013, 01:56 PM »
I am finished with everything I need before the next and last layer of resin.  the connectors on the side will lead to the fuel cell, and the one on the top near the rockets will be the connector for the clear tube, which will eventually house a wire (possibly led string) that will connect to my right gaunt, which will house the fire control system.

...and the fuel cell...

E.M.T.S. #083
M.A. #098

Riven Kassle

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2013, 03:19 PM »
Looking great Vod! keep it up, making fast progress!

Tor'dola Magnus

« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2013, 06:44 PM »
Looking great Vod! keep it up, making fast progress!

I can't go a day without doing SOMETHING on my kit.  Every morning I start a few cuts for the next piece, and unless I have duty, and stay overnight on the ship, when I get home I do more. 

I start my daughter's kit soon too.  I might try to do that integrated jetpack backplate for her, since she'll want to be at least close to mine.... only pink.

Edit:

this is the beginning of the inside of the rocket launcher.

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2013, 05:19 AM by Tor'dola Magnus » Logged

E.M.T.S. #083
M.A. #098

Riven Kassle

« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2013, 05:39 AM »
Hehe, I know the feeling.  The same with me.  None of my children have any interest in having their own kit but I may do one for my wife after the one I'm working on. 
That rocket quiver is gonna be awesome.  I like it bro

Buir Be An Vheh'ade

• CMDR Flavor Fleet, Wampa Squadron SBYL-17-01
« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2013, 12:00 AM »
looking  awesome. ive been toying with the idea  of making a  back pack of a sorts for my kit. i was thinking about  using the plastic kitty litter jugs  to help  give the basic shape of mine. never thought about using a couple  paint trays. there are so many different basic types of  trays.

Chef A'lor -"Fear is the path that leads to the burnt side", B.O.M.B.#6 Cmdr PacificPastramiPacking fleet
Wrangalorian#002, M.A.#179,  Draluram (mandalorian chef society)#018, Mando wraps#003 Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion)#25
I AM THE BEAST MASTER - "Wampa it's whats for dinner"

Tor'dola Magnus

« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Haven't really made any progress on the jump pack this week.  weather's been relatively crappy till today, and I've been getting down with some wet-sanding of my bucket.  Plan for this weekend: finish second coat of resin, and start the bondo smoothing process.

Update: no new entry since I have made little progress, and have no pictures.  I have all the glassing done, and the rocket tubes are cut and epoxy'd together in a size that will fit.  I plan to add the rocket tips, and attach the tubes tomorrow.  After that the process of sanding and bondo will begin.

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2013, 11:57 PM by Tor'dola Magnus » Logged

E.M.T.S. #083
M.A. #098

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!