Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nikolai's Bucket

• 23 Replies

Nikolai

• Gun(s) for hire
Nikolai's Bucket
« on: Jul 09, 2013, 09:28 PM »
So my helmet has finally arrived. Here's the work so far...

Primed:

Base aluminum coat:

Satin white:

The lighting was sub-par on that last photo, so it looks more grey than white. I'll have more pics up soon.

Re: Nikolai's Bucket
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2013, 10:49 PM »
Looking great!

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2013, 11:27 PM »
That's a nice looking bucket, I like white can't wait to see more.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Nikolai

• Gun(s) for hire

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2013, 11:55 PM »
Who is the maker of that helmet? Looks real sharp.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2013, 12:03 AM »
That looks really nice and crisp!

Nikolai

• Gun(s) for hire

Kiriath

• On the path again
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2013, 07:26 PM »
So  how much weathering do you plan to do?  Roniks glue method works pretty good. I tried it on my jetpack upgrade only I used some elmer's glue instead.  You may want to consider that before doing the next coat.

Not dead yet!  Kicking and biting till the end of time.. I want to be better..
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2013, 08:42 AM »
I highly recommend liquid latex weathering due to the precision it provides and the ease with which the latex may be removed. You can get 125mL (which is more than you will need for your entire kit) from amazon for ca. $12: http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-2-Ounce-Incredible-Liquid-Frisket/dp/B00139SZU4/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373546497&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=liquid+lfrisket.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2013, 03:17 PM »
Looking good, also wondering about weathering.

What's the paint scheme you're going for on the helmet?

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Nikolai

• Gun(s) for hire
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2013, 09:06 PM »
I figured I'd give toothpaste a try and see how that worked out. I'll post an update here in a bit.

Color scheme wise, right now it's just satin white, with the cheeks/visor being navy blue. I'm undecided about adding more to it. I'm a fan of nice, clean work with fairly minimal weathering.

Pyrus Skirata

• THE EMPRAH PROTEX
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2013, 09:13 PM »
I figured I'd give toothpaste a try and see how that worked out. I'll post an update here in a bit.

Color scheme wise, right now it's just satin white, with the cheeks/visor being navy blue. I'm undecided about adding more to it. I'm a fan of nice, clean work with fairly minimal weathering.

That's probably good for a satin white and navy colour scheme. I'm personally a big fan of weathering. In my opinion, it just makes it look more real.

-When you play the Game of Thrones, you win... or you die.
- 1st Rule of Sci-Fi: Always go for the Blue Chick

"... They are my Space Marines, and They Shall Know No Fear!"

Nikolai

• Gun(s) for hire
« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. Weathering, when done right, can bring that extra level of believability. I actually found myself examining real-world weathering on our tanks at work today, to get an idea of what I want to do for my kit.

I'm basing my Mando's character pretty closely off of my own personality, so we share the same trait of taking pride in keeping our kit well maintained.

Nikolai

• Gun(s) for hire
« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2013, 10:53 PM »
Alright, update time. Peeled the tape off, and I think it took a little too much paint with it.

What do y'all think? Is that workable still? Most of the toothpaste is still on, so there's a little more weathering to reveal yet. I'm just not sure if I should go ahead and sand it all down again or what...

Pyrus Skirata

• THE EMPRAH PROTEX
« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2013, 11:00 PM »
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. Weathering, when done right, can bring that extra level of believability. I actually found myself examining real-world weathering on our tanks at work today, to get an idea of what I want to do for my kit.

I'm basing my Mando's character pretty closely off of my own personality, so we share the same trait of taking pride in keeping our kit well maintained.

Wait, there are tanks at where you work? ??? Where you be working?

-When you play the Game of Thrones, you win... or you die.
- 1st Rule of Sci-Fi: Always go for the Blue Chick

"... They are my Space Marines, and They Shall Know No Fear!"

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!