Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vac forming helmets?

• 12 Replies
Vac forming helmets?
« on: Jul 11, 2013, 08:56 AM »
So iv been looking in to vacuum forming recently as my last scratch build had some problems that i don't think i can fix. So my main question and discussion point is can you make decent vac formed helmets and if i built a vac forming machine big enough to make all components ( mainly back plate is the size issue) Will i still get the sweet results? I am a complete noob to vac forming so all help and advice/tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Vac forming helmets?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2013, 09:08 AM »
The Mandalorian Arsenal currently does vac'd helmets and BradleyFett used to (but he has disappeared). They come out pretty good but, since they are typically in several pieces, they take a bit of work.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2013, 09:48 AM »
So if i did dome , face ,back and ear caps. I was seeing a whole model vertically placed and formed vertically. from the sounds of it that wouldn't work. thanks for the reply i will look in to the arsenals kit.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2013, 11:10 AM »
Yeah, doing it in one piece wouldn't work due to the undercuts. How TMA does it and Bradly Fett did it the dome is one piece, the front lower half is one piece and the rear lower half is one piece. So, you basically cut your master into thirds and make 3 bucks. The earcaps and greeblies are typically cast seperatly in resin.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Thanks for the help Hondo i will post my vac table up in a bit . Summer holidays are a blessing  :P

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Keeping an eye on this. Looking forward to seeing how your vac-form helmet turns out.

Trust Hondo, he knows a thing or two about helmets.  ;)

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Well thats pleased me. and as i'm currently short on funds and building the forming table out of scraps in my garage and stores. So it may take some time but hopefully i will get it done in the next month or so.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2013, 06:04 PM »
So we have the smallest update possible here. I have primed my top layer of wood. and I think i might have gone mad as i had to draw on so many lines . My brain hurts  ;) But i digress and here is the picture. Its not perfect but its worth a good go seeing as this is left over scrap from one of my brothers projects ( hes at uni whats in the garage is fair game in my opinion) Now I wanted to ask if any scratch builders out there have used vac forming and id love to see there results and do you guys out there have any sort of pros/cons against them. Like are they too delicate or bend/ warp from being in the sun on a troop that kinda thing ?
As always all help is greatly appreciated and i will put up pictures and maybe even a video once it is built and doing sucky thing. 
thanks for reading
Owen.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2013, 06:10 PM »
If you're referring to vac formed armor in general, plenty of stormtrooper and clone kits are vacformed, they're fine for trooping and whatnot.
Of course it depends on the thickness of the material, thicker and it loses detail, thinner and it is more frail.

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2013, 05:12 AM »
Common sense really ;) my other question is your opinion of vac formed kits and what are your current kits made from? I mainly want to try and pool intel on if its worth using it to make armor or just to make other parts and props.

Thaxos

« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2013, 03:33 PM »
Common sense really ;) my other question is your opinion of vac formed kits and what are your current kits made from? I mainly want to try and pool intel on if its worth using it to make armor or just to make other parts and props.

I've got a Republic Commando and a Fallout T-54d power armor suit that are both vacformed.

They're just fine for armor, as they've got a proper thickness to them.
The power armor has a couple spots where the plastic was stretched somewhat thin and I've gone ahead and reinforced it ahead of time.
Overall, I'd say it's worth it.

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2013, 03:40 AM »
Well this  is a small update and unfortunately not a good one. This is going to take a while as iv become rather unwell. But i will be posting pictures when i can get stuff done. Thank you for the advice and opinions Thaxos Its been a real help.

Thaxos

« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2013, 01:23 PM »
Well this  is a small update and unfortunately not a good one. This is going to take a while as iv become rather unwell. But i will be posting pictures when i can get stuff done. Thank you for the advice and opinions Thaxos Its been a real help.

Hope things improve for you soon.
Glad to lend some experience, always happy to help out any time.

Looking forward to seeing further progress when you do have the time.  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!