Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

So You're Going to Build a Mando!

• 102 Replies

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: So You're Going to Build a Mando!
« Reply #75 on: Dec 30, 2015, 12:17 PM »
You can find the list of approved materials in the CRLs under Additional Info. EVA is not an approved armor building material.

« Reply #76 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:29 PM »
what program do i need to run the mando maker? it says on my laptop i dont have the correct program installed to run it

If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger gun!
« Reply #77 on: Apr 15, 2017, 11:31 PM »
I have never built any armor in my my life. Any ideas on what to do

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #78 on: Apr 18, 2017, 10:52 AM »
I have never built any armor in my my life. Any ideas on what to do

Dalton, the best advice I can give you is: research, research, research.  The more reading and research and planning you do, the easier your build will be.

I'd start by looking over the Eras of Mandalorian armor and deciding which you want to do.  Early Crusader, Crusader, Neo Crusader, Modern or Legacy, which is actually a sub-set of Modern, so you can mix and match.  Once you've decided that, you'll want to look over the Costume Requirements to see what you'll need to have present in your kit to be approved as an Official Member.

Once you've taken those notes, have a look at the various templates and tutorials available on the site.

If you're planning on buying various pieces, such as a back plate, helmet, or the whole kit and kaboodle, you'll want to take a look at the Mandalorian Supply Depot to do some price shopping and comparison of various pieces.  Additionally, please read this post about buying your kit. When it comes to your helmet - whether you're going to scratch build it or buy one - you'll want to read through the Helmet Guide for some vital information regarding your bucket.

Once you've gotten a lot of these decisions made, and even during the time you're still weighing options, you'll want to start reading as many Work In Progress threads as you can.  You can find the various WIP boards in the Mandalorian Armor section.  This covers everything about building your kit from planning your colors to building jet packs.

Also, you should post an introduction in your Clan's message board so you can meet some local Mercs.  Not sure where you're at, but check out the   Clan Locator.  Your local clan will be a huge help getting your kit together.

Once you've made some basic decisions about your build you can use the Mando Maker to explore color options for your kit.  It doesn't have a save feature, so you'll need to do a screen cap or use the snipping tool.  But this will allow you post your color ideas in the Armor Planning section when you start your WIP.

You'll also want to take a bit of time to read the Comprehensive Forum Guide. It's a long read, but incredibly worthwhile.

Plus, if you're not familiar with all the ins and outs of posting on message boards, and want a quick tutorial on how to insert hyperlinks in a post, rather than a long, boring url, check out this very helpful post.

And finally, while devouring the information available on this forum, if you've got a question, don't be shy about asking it.  The folks here are absolutely amazing.  Knowledgeable, welcoming, friendly, and pretty much always willing to lend a hand.

what program do i need to run the mando maker? it says on my laptop i dont have the correct program installed to run it

It shouldn't be anything more complicated or hard to find than flash, shockwave, or just basic Java.  I'm not sure why it's not working for you.  I'm sorry I can't be more help, Levi.

« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2018, 05:33 AM by Havelock » Logged
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #79 on: Jul 03, 2017, 09:25 PM »
Hi guys i'm very i just joined but would any of you know where to get the parts to actual build a suit
sorry if i sound forceful i just prefer to have the piece in front of me so i know what i have to work with

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #80 on: Jul 04, 2017, 12:23 PM »
Hi guys i'm very i just joined but would any of you know where to get the parts to actual build a suit
sorry if i sound forceful i just prefer to have the piece in front of me so i know what i have to work with

Anything you want to buy rather than fabricate, check out the Mandalorian Supply Depot Forum.  Trusted vendors selling parts that are approved by the APP Team.   

If you want to make things, I recommend going to the forum for the era you choose: Crusader, Late Crusader, Modern, Legacy, ETC. and looking for templates to use as a base for cutting your plates out of SINTRA (available at Sign Shops and Plastic Suppliers -- relatively inexpensive).   

Before you do any of that, I'd go back to the main page and review the CRL's so you know what you need to pull together a full kit. This forum has a wealth of information, and often you'll get faster answers using the search button than asking and waiting, especially in the initial phases of construction.

« Reply #81 on: Oct 18, 2017, 07:05 PM »
The MandoMaker isn't working for me any suggestions?

« Reply #82 on: Oct 18, 2017, 08:20 PM »
The MandoMaker isn't working for me any suggestions?
I couldn't get it to work either, until I tried these links:
http://www.zammap.com/mandomaker.html
https://zammap.deviantart.com/art/Mando-Maker-3-103333151

« Reply #83 on: Nov 19, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Those worked perfectly thank you!!

DragonKnight57

• Hi! My name is Steven! I like Star Wars!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:21 PM »
Hi I am planning to build a Mandalorian Sniper! I am thinking about doing an OD Green paint scheme. I also want to attach a visor like the one Commander Cody has on his helmet. I attached a drive link below with images I am basing my deign off of. Any suggestions would be awesome since I am new!      :boba:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gSUj6xbqmwyeheL_BEuXFfTca8k069WN

Hider2276

• May The Force Be With You
« Reply #85 on: Apr 20, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Anyone’s own concepts posted under your thread is unavailable because apparently it’s not working(?)...do you have any threads on this Mandalorian Mercs website where people post their concepts that could be easily opened to?

Anakin Skywalker has Luke Skywalker.

osukaru

• Friendship is Loyalty // Mando'ad draar digu
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #86 on: Apr 21, 2019, 10:33 PM »
Anyone’s own concepts posted under your thread is unavailable because apparently it’s not working(?)...do you have any threads on this Mandalorian Mercs website where people post their concepts that could be easily opened to?
Hi, Hider2276
to clarify a little the doubt you have.
It is not that the designs themselves do not work, of course they work and it is precisely the originality of each person who makes each one of the suits, however when they are done post in this thread they are concepts of armors based on parameters that we already have pre-established, within that margin any design can be made.
Now if your concept goes beyond it can be treated in another post that I indicate below.
I hope your query could be clarified, but I happy to help you again.  :like:

Oriramikad - Cat #1462               
You have doubts? Rules and Guides

KovAtin

• It's no good to me decaf.
« Reply #87 on: Oct 27, 2019, 10:06 PM »
First time posting here - what's up Mercs?  Su cuy'gar!!

I am playing around with ideas and color schemes.  No idea how I'd implement yet.  Probably going to buy a helmet, and build the rest?  Maybe?

-Kov'Atin

That’s no ordinary rabbit. That’s the most foul, cruel, and bad tempered rodent you ever set eyes on.
Native American Mandalorian
« Reply #88 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:55 AM »
I wanted to get the official ruling on my Native America Mandalorian concept. I want to pay homage to my roots as a Mandalorian. My concept is modern era armor already approved from dhpfx and April Storm’s shop and a Night Owl Helmet from Drako. The additions would be a Roach (Native American Mohawk) attached to top of helmet and my Native American loincloth. I know Mandalorian armor has set rules for placement and design but also some flexibility for personalization. Any help would be appreciated.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #89 on: Jan 27, 2020, 01:07 PM »
I wanted to get the official ruling on my Native America Mandalorian concept. I want to pay homage to my roots as a Mandalorian. My concept is modern era armor already approved from dhpfx and April Storm’s shop and a Night Owl Helmet from Drako. The additions would be a Roach (Native American Mohawk) attached to top of helmet and my Native American loincloth. I know Mandalorian armor has set rules for placement and design but also some flexibility for personalization. Any help would be appreciated.

Going to be hard to answer without some visuals of exactly what you intend.  Both will likely need to be modified at least somewhat from their origin to look in universe and in keeping with the Star Wars aesthetic.  Pull some concept photos or sketches together and post to the Q&A form.

« Reply #90 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:29 AM »
So as for colour palettes I plan on making a maroon and pale pink palette like Char’s Zaku II from the MS Gundam series. As for additions, are military-like number and lettering decals allowed onto the helmets and armour? 

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #91 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:20 AM »
I’ve seen a couple kits with lettering and numbering on them. Usually phrases or quotations, but occasionally identifiers. You should use the Mando’a or Aurebesh equivalents rather than normal alphanumerics, though.

nintern

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din.
« Reply #92 on: Dec 16, 2020, 11:45 PM »
I've been making some weapons using my 3d printer and MPLA filament.  The guide doesn't say one way or the other for MPLA.  Would that be usable for an armor set?

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #93 on: Dec 27, 2020, 08:07 PM »
PLA is the standard recommended filament for armor kits. You might want to reinforce it with some fiberglass and resin to prevent delamination.

« Reply #94 on: Dec 31, 2020, 02:52 PM »
I’ve seen a couple kits with lettering and numbering on them. Usually phrases or quotations, but occasionally identifiers. You should use the Mando’a or Aurebesh equivalents rather than normal alphanumerics, though.

Thanks for the info! I really like tactical markings in general (I use them a lot on model kits and airsoft loadouts), so I'll follow your advice and incorporate them into my own Mando armor when the time comes.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #95 on: Jan 01, 2021, 01:10 AM »
Ok, I already built one kit (though not n approvable one) and am currently looking to improve it a little at a time. I already bought a set of vambraces from DHPFX and am tempted to pick up his back plate and torso plate sets (though I want a different set of Pauldrons) however, I’m not sure about what size I would need given my measurements. I’m a male, 5’6” tall, weighing about 175-190 lbs,l. My chest circumference is 42” , and measures across the chest from the inside of one shoulder to the inside of the other is 14” across,  the length of my torso from clavicle to navel is a full 16” long (I have a long torso and short limbs), a belt circumference of 38”, and belly circumference of 44”, So, I’m not sure if I’d need a medium set ( because of my chest width) or large set (to account for my torso length and middle age spread).

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2021, 10:19 AM by Tramp Graphics » Logged
« Reply #96 on: Aug 26, 2022, 04:30 PM »
Greetings, im new to this site and im starting to try and make my mando armor, tho i feel a bit lost where to look for parts needed for the job, like tools to use on aluminium and other stuff, so if any of you would be kind as to give me some info on where i could find a guide for this or just tell me what tools would be needed, i would appreciate that.

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #97 on: Aug 26, 2022, 06:52 PM »
Greetings, im new to this site and im starting to try and make my mando armor, tho i feel a bit lost where to look for parts needed for the job, like tools to use on aluminium and other stuff, so if any of you would be kind as to give me some info on where i could find a guide for this or just tell me what tools would be needed, i would appreciate that.

Just to be clear, metal plates are not required. Most mandos use some version of plastic.  Sintra (foamed PVC) sheets shaped to fit are most common for classic Modern/Boba type plates.  3D printed parts are pretty popular for the newer Post Imperial styles. You can pretty much make full sets of plastic armor with a ruler, pencil, utility knife, glue, and a heat gun.
If you are learning about making costumes and learning metalwork at the same time, I recommend making a full set of plates out of plastic first. You'll learn how every piece needs to be worked at much lower cost. When you make it again from metal it will be much easier because you'll know what the final shape needs to be. You'll waste less time trying to figure out where to move the material. 
If you want a metal kit and are new to metalworking, look for youtube tutorials about hot rod building and medieval armor making. The tools, skills, and methods that apply to shaping metal from flat sheets into curves are universal. If you learn the foundational skills so you can apply them to anything.
Good luck vod, and happy building. I hope to see your work in progress soon.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #98 on: Aug 27, 2022, 05:57 PM »
You should also check out videos by the Welding Geek on YouTube. He has many videos on making aluminum Mandalorian armor.

« Reply #99 on: Oct 18, 2022, 07:57 AM »
Just to be clear, metal plates are not required. Most mandos use some version of plastic.  Sintra (foamed PVC) sheets shaped to fit are most common for classic Modern/Boba type plates.  3D printed parts are pretty popular for the newer Post Imperial styles. You can pretty much make full sets of plastic armor with a ruler, pencil, utility knife, glue, and a heat gun.
If you are learning about making costumes and learning metalwork at the same time, I recommend making a full set of plates out of plastic first. You'll learn how every piece needs to be worked at much lower cost. When you make it again from metal it will be much easier because you'll know what the final shape needs to be. You'll waste less time trying to figure out where to move the material. 
If you want a metal kit and are new to metalworking, look for youtube tutorials about hot rod building and medieval armor making. The tools, skills, and methods that apply to shaping metal from flat sheets into curves are universal. If you learn the foundational skills so you can apply them to anything.
Good luck vod, and happy building. I hope to see your work in progress soon.
PVC is not a reliable thing as compared to metal plated so better using metal instead of plastic

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!