Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

J2P/dents question

• 2 Replies
J2P/dents question
« on: Jul 13, 2013, 04:27 PM »
I feel like I've been working on this helmet for way too long.

Once I put a coat of primer on my bucket, I noticed there were a few dented spots in the back of the helmet. I ran my hand over them and discovered more spots that weren't quite visible but you could feel them. I've been slowly applying bondo over the dented areas, sanding back down, etc. I even  went so far as to do a layer over the whole back side, sanded the whole thing back down and it just seems like I'm not making any progress whatsoever.

Am I being too picky?
Am I doing something wrong?
Sould I just sand all the bondo down to the helmet and start over?

Please help! Any tips of suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rawr grrr growl and other assorted scary noises.
WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Manbrolorian

• TI-11997
Re: J2P/dents question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2013, 04:54 PM »
I've never done much more than a sanding job on a J2P, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I know how you feel about filling and sanding a lot... I recently broke my own helmet, and I honestly spent two or three days applying JB-Weld, Bondo, and glue, and sanding it all down. You just need to be patient, and keep at it. However... There has to a point where you say, "I'm done with the body work, it's time to finish it."
There's no way on earth to be too picky about building a costume. If you want to make everything out of bullet proof metal and Kevlar, yeah, that's a little picky... But wanting your helmet to look as good as possible is completely normal.
To my basic knowledge, you're not doing anything wrong... You just might want to step back for a day, and do some thinking on what you're doing/what else you can do.
With as much filling/sanding you've done at this point, I'm tempted to say no. If you're too frustrated with it, and you just want to start over, go ahead. However, I'd like to impress upon you the need to stop, breath, and think about what you want to do with it.

he/him
black lives matter!
Re: J2P/dents question
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Thank you, Manbro!

I think you're right. I returned from my "bucket vacation" so I could take the time to mess with my gaunts instead (prior to the, which proved to be very useful. Fresh eyes and all that. After trying to level this out over the last couple days I feel like I'm getting very close.

I just threw a coat of primer on the top again to see what else was wrong and it's not as bad as I thought. I think the different shades of bondo was making it look worse than it actually was. there's still a couple spots that I'm not too happy with but on the plus side, it's going to be much less work than I was expecting prior to the primer job.

I think I'm just going to have to hunker down commit another week's worth of baby steps to it and I should be good. I appreciate the advice, vod!

Rawr grrr growl and other assorted scary noises.
WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!