Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bluetooth helmet installation.

• 11 Replies

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 2016 Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Bluetooth helmet installation.
« on: Jul 19, 2013, 10:25 AM »
So my biggest problem in-costume (outside of not being able to use the bathroom easily, or itch my nose) is that I can't talk on the phone with my helmet on.  Now my helmet is crammed full of electronics, so taking it off and on isn't quite as easy as an empty bucket.  With that in mind, I needed to figure out a way to make and take phone calls when necessary without having to remove my helmet.

A light bulb when off a few weeks ago, and I realized that I could wire bluetooth up to my helmet's external audio amplification system.  So with that in mind, I had to figure out what type of bluetooth headset would work the best for me to accomplish this.  Traditionally, most people who use bluetooth ear pieces use the single ear piece.  However it's not easy for a gloved hand encased in armor to access buttons on such an ear piece, and it's also not possible for me to wear it under the helmet since I have speakers piping in sound from outside directly into my ears.  So I figured I would need a 2 speaker solution with minimal tiny buttons.

Enter the Alpatronix USB headset

This is a $30+ dollar USB headset I purchased off Amazon.  It has 3 buttons:  Power/sync/volume/accept/deny, Next, and Previous.

So the first thing I had to do was de-gut all the electronics and wires.  Because these things are so small, everything is super-delicate.

I removed the external casings (careful not to damage them so I could re-use them for mounting) first.  That consisted of removing 1 screw and releasing all the little micro-snaps by gently sliding a precision flat-head screw driver between the case seams.  Then I had to remove the thick plastic sheath covering the heat-shrink wire harness.  Lastly, I clipped off the speakers and removed them from the ear-buds for future use in other projects.

One thing I didn't want to do was re-invent the wheel.  So I took an easy route and tied the speaker output the right side into my helmet's internal right audio speaker.

At this point, I wanted to go ahead and run a test to see how It sounded.  So I synced the headset to my Iphone and started up some music.  Something really cool happened that I didn't expect...the Bluetooth audio turned the external helmet audio off automatically while the music was playing. As soon as the music stopped, the external audio started picking up again.  With that info known, I decided to wire it ONLY to my right ear (the dominant ear for me) and leave my left ear receiving external audio.

Next, it was time to work on the left side.  I wanted to keep the "Next/Previous" button functionality, plus the 3.7v battery is housed on the left also.  The wires just weren't long enough to reach without cutting, so I had a wire bundle from an old laptop screen that was a similar gauge.  Keeping the wires similar reduces the line resistance, which keeps the battery from discharging faster.  So I soldered all those little wires together, wrapped them in electrical tape, and then covered it all up with heat-shrink tubing.

***To be continued***
I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Bluetooth helmet installation.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2013, 10:51 PM »
As bawse as always boss! You got huge skills!

Kebii'tra Verda

• Formerly "Jaiden Turr'n"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2013, 07:54 AM »
D.A.N.G.

Nice work so far, boss.

daVID.

Facebook page

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Zedrin Ho'dag

• MM-0537 | Cin'ciri Verda | AKA - Narseryc
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Best Blaster: Pistol is the award for the best pistol. Funny that! 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2013, 10:23 AM »
And here I was just using the Bluetooth headset under my helmet.  You and the Manda'lor!   :P

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013
"There's nothing special about me, I just do my job!" RJ

Prudii Senaar

• Copaani mirshmure'cye, vod?
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2013, 11:27 PM »
Where's the like button when I need it? :laugh:

Elegant Mandos' Tea Society #60

Kebii'tra Verda

• Formerly "Jaiden Turr'n"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2013, 12:17 PM »

daVID.

Facebook page

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Thaxos

• Moose'alor
  • Beard'alor
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2013, 03:21 PM »
And it certainly works well, he called me the other day and the sound quality was great.

The level of electronics stuffed into his helmet is reaching ludicrous levels...  :laugh:

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 2016 Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2013, 04:02 PM »
And it certainly works well, he called me the other day and the sound quality was great.

Kinda reminds me of a certain movie scene...

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Thaxos

• Moose'alor
  • Beard'alor
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Hahaha, indeed!

sand_bunny

• Shev'la Kry'bes
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2015, 11:05 PM »

The level of electronics stuffed into his helmet is reaching ludicrous levels...  :laugh:

I read this, and thought "His helmet has gone to PLAID!!!"
"Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service."
                       -Chiun
                        (Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985))

Helmet  95%
Soft Parts  70%
Armor  95%
armory: blade 85%, slug rifle 100%(ish), verpine 100%(ish), sidearm 85%
Sanity : 25% and dropping.
my armor planning log http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=84165.0 
my armory log http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=8392

Kensnaps

• Dr. Kdogg
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 11:20 PM »
Necro post. . .

WHERE'S THE PART TWO?
Ken Applegate, AKA KenSnaps or Ke Naastar
BVC
MMCC Archivist

Thaxos

• Moose'alor
  • Beard'alor
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 01:40 AM »
Banned for necroposting.

:P
Yeah boss, where is part two?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!