Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Keya's Build WIP - Upgrades!

• 95 Replies

Keyaroscuro

• Do what you love, love what you do.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Keya's Build WIP - Upgrades!
« on: Jul 28, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Oh, man, super nervous to be posting here, but anyway, I've been meaning to start building a kit for several years now, but it's always been such a daunting task. I'm gonna grit and bear it and start it now, though, 'cause if I don't, I probably won't.

I don't know much about armor design, so I'm looking for some feedback on...well, everything! All I have to start is a super rough concept sketch, though. No shoes 'cause I don't know exactly what I'm doing there. :D

I'm going to compile a bunch of my WIP photos here in the first post for easier reference and viewing.

So to start, I made a body form out of paper tape and a $1 shift from a thrift store. This is not a new method here on the forums, and it's actually pretty common elsewhere for duct tape body forms. Paper tape is awesome. It's this brown paper with glue on the back that gets like paper mache when you get it wet. You can find it in the mail packing aisles of many stores. I think I picked mine up at Staples.

When it dried overnight, I drew my armor shapes, cut them out, figerglassed them (fiberglass cloth and crap picked up from Lowes), and then smoothed them out with Bondo and Bondo filler (Lowes and Wal-mart respectively) and a ton of sanding. (All the torso plates are displayed here, but in the end, I only used the chest plates for my actual armor and left the other plates as really great templates).

The entire rest of my plates were made from Sterilite bins I picked up for $5 at Wal-mart during the cheap back-to-school rush. No animals were harmed in the making of this kit.

My bucket is a 2-piece Rubies Jango Fett that I picked up off of Amazon using about $30~ worth of rewards points from my credit card. So pretty much I got it for nothing.

I put Bondo on the entire dome and sanded that sucker smooth over many, many days. The end result is that some of my clan members can't tell it's a 2-piece until they pick it up and freak out over how light it is. The replacement visor was something I picked up from t-visor. If I had to do it again, I would get a No. 5 dark green welding visor, since the t-visor one just didn't fit very well and was kind of a struggle. But it works, and it's held up very nicely.

I painted my armor using the layered weathering technique and cheap $1 toothpaste as my masking solution. It's messy and sticky, but it makes you smell like spearmint. And it's cheap. And it works really well.

My weathering/painting process: primer --> aluminum base --> apply toothpaste --> black --> apply toothpaste over toothpaste areas --> white --> any additional surface colors (in this case blue and silver). This is by no means an "original" weathering idea as I took it off other forum members (thanks!) Then I wiped off the toothpaste with water with a damp cloth...

...and applied a black wash (some leftover black acrylic paint super watered down), and done.

My parts segmented before being attached to anything:

And my parts on my vest, which I pretty much sewed up using a nice non-fitted shirt as a template and half-priced duck cloth from Joann's (those 50% off coupons are a lifesaver).

My back plate is probably my favorite part of my kit. I used my paper tape back plate as a sturdy template and drew myself segmented Legacy-type plates in a Modern shape.

Again, everything except my bucket and my two chest pieces are made from that crappy Sterilite. I do not recommend it. Get yourself some Sintra.

Here's another view of my painting/weathering/toothpaste process.

I used the tried and true method of velcro for plate attachment. Industrial-strength stick-back velcro, hook side only, on the plates, and sew-on fuzzy side velcro on my vest and harness.

My loincloth skirt thing ended up having to change for approval, but here's a quick overview on how I painted on the mythosaur skull: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=65847.msg1001934#msg1001934

My knees are thick black elastics with duck cloth knees and velcro. They're really comfortable and hold very well. My knee armor, however, sort of sucks and will be soon upgraded.

The gun is a Jango Fett blaster from Amazon for like $7. I sawed off the cap on the barrel because I didn't like it.

And...here's my approved version 1 kit.

Upgrades to come!

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014, 02:44 AM by Keyaroscuro » Logged

Linora Void

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Keya's WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Cool design!  Since you're looking for general feedback, my advice would be to start by looking through some of the other build threads here on the board to get ideas about what materials and techniques you want to use.  I used many different techniques to build my armor and learned how to do them all through other people's WIPs.  I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when I started!  I'll keep an eye on your thread so I can help out if I can! 

Void   |   WIP

Vanlande Ne'trasenaar

• Cin Vhetin
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2013, 12:33 AM »
I felt the same way when I started, it seemed like such a daunting task! But hey, look at me now! You'll find out that almost everyone here is very nice and super helpful and encouraging.

As far as general advice goes, I agree with Linora ( on her suggestions as well as color choice lol). Stalk the forums, check out how others do things. Find a merc that inspires you, and does good work in your eyes. That's what I did. During my first build Kelan Ord was a HUGE inspiration to me. His quality and look is amazing, and he's incredibly helpful and a great guy. He's also on the approval team, so what he says, goes. Good luck vod and I'll be watching your thread! Feel free to PM me with anything.

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013, 03:25 AM by Vanlande Ne'trasenaar » Logged

Keyaroscuro

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2013, 12:48 AM »
Thank you so much for the advice! You two made me feel so much better about this, and I'm crazy excited all over again. :) Looks like it's time to start sifting through threads!

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2013, 01:33 AM »
That's a really cool looking concept. Basically I'll just echo what the others have said. Read up and absorb as much information as you can from other build threads, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :)

Keyaroscuro

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2013, 02:22 AM »
Thank you so much! ^^ I'm glad the design works. That's one step down at least! I've already got a list of questions, but I'm figuring out the answers to a few every time I go into a new build thread. I have to say, I was wary about doing a fem armor kit, but it's starting to look more and more fun, which is the whole point.

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013, 05:28 AM by Keyaroscuro » Logged

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2013, 04:50 AM »
I very, very much like that design. Giving me some ideas for my own legs :D As already pointed out, just look around a lot. I must have spent more time looking at other builds and methods then I have on my own kit. Best of luck vod, I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Beskar'gam  |  Buy'ce  |  Gallery

Mandalorian Mercs OM #769
The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #058
B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2013, 08:45 AM »
I love the color scheme! :D

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Great design with the color scheme, looking forward to seeing this built.

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Nice concept! 8)

Keyaroscuro

« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Okay, phew, so, I have progress!

I've got my two-piece flight suit, boots, and gloves, and I have some fabric either bought or chosen out. Tomorrow I'm going to do a vest either out of twill or duck canvas or a combo of both with velcro on the neck/up the back to get in and out. I did something like this before for a cosplay, so I'm altering that pattern because why not.

After looking at about a hundred build threads (lol), I decided for my chest plates to go with the paper tape --> fiberglass --> bondo method because it seemed...fun, I guess? I thought about doing flat plates originally and going androgynous, but after trolling through endless femmando builds, I really like the fem plates now. They're currently at the fiberglass stage.

The armor plates right before fiberglass minus the chest diamond because I forgot to put it in the photo.

Tomorrow we're going to bondo those suckers up unless they need a second fiberglass stage.

My Rubies 2-piece is arriving Friday, and the rest of my armor is taking shape out of a Walmart tote bin. Couldn't believe how cheap those things were, and they're forming fairly well with my little embossing craft gun.

Here's an obligatory photo of helper cat in said tote bin:

Can't believe I'm doing this at last! It's turning out to be quite a bit of a different experience than any other costume I've put together.

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2013, 08:38 PM by Keyaroscuro » Logged

Linora Void

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2013, 08:16 PM »
When you set the plates out to dry after fiberglassing, be conscious of how they're sitting.  When they're wet and you lay them down flat they will bend and you wont be able to fix it.  Make sure they stay the shape you want them to be while they're drying.  This was a huge problem for me with my back plate and I ended up making a new one because of it.

Keep up the good work!  8)

Void   |   WIP

Keyaroscuro

« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Really good to know! I checked them about an hour in into the drying time. They were still damp and malleable, so I did do a bit of forming since some of the curves seemed to be flattening out, but I'm going to go out and do it again just in case. Really don't want to remake a piece, haha. Thank you! :D

Keyaroscuro

« Reply #13 on: Jul 31, 2013, 08:59 PM »
On a side note, I'd like to eventually make my mando a medic mando. I'm a licensed registered nurse, so I thought it would be a fun touch. Does anyone have any suggestions for medic mando kits? I read through the requirements already and checked out what various medics throughout the universe look like, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas. :)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2013, 09:11 PM »
From the Medic Brigade requirements;
At least one of the following:

Bacta (bacta ampule example)
    Stimulants
    Tranqs
    Synthflesh

At least two of the following:

Bacta delivery system
    Readout/Diagnostic/Scanner equipment. Canon example: The Synthtech MDS-50 medical scanner (old WEG source)
    Revival/Defibrillator equipment
    Set of (FALSE) surgical tools either added to gauntlet or kit in some way

Optional Equipment:

Medic bag with medic symbol
    O2 delivery system
    Tubes, hoses or bandaging materials.

There are quite a few suggestions there, and those numbers are the minimum required so feel free to add more if you want to :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!