Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Keya's Build WIP - Upgrades!

• 95 Replies

Keyaroscuro

• Do what you love, love what you do.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Keya's First Build WIP
« Reply #50 on: Aug 20, 2013, 03:14 AM »
Wooo update!

Finished painting my backplates right before I had to go to work.

Then got home and put them together (as well as took the toothpaste masking off...mmm minty fresh...whoops that makes it sound like I ate it).

The rest of the night was spent sewing and sticking on velcro to my vest and corresponding front armor. They're being held on by the bare minimum amount of velcro right now. Wanted to check spacing on them before I started slapping more on. Also...a chest diamond! Whaddya know.

And here's what I have so far. Was gonna finish knees and thighs today, but they required outdoor work (painting and stuff), and wow was it windy and unhappy out there. Also, I may be getting different blue fabric. The current fabric matched my original blue spray paint, but thanks to aforementioned spray painting mishaps, I went with a different darker blue. I saw some dark blue fabric in the exact same fabric type as my grey wrappings, so I'll probably get some of that. I'm also planning on adding some grey wraps to my boots as kind of ankle covers...can never have enough wrappings. When in a bind, they make excellent bandages!

You know us medics. Gotta come prepared for everything.

Also great for tying people up. And gagging the ones who won't shut up. There's a rhyme and reason for all the fabric I plan to use.

Everyone's asleep already, so I went around trying to find a good place with mirrors and okay lighting to take pictures. And that is why the background keeps changing.

Alright so how's the spacing? I moved the chest pieces apart a bit, but I'm not sure if it's enough or too much or whatever. I believe this is also my first update with me actually wearing the helmet. So any crits please?

Left to do:

-Add antennas/greebs to helmet
-Form and paint shoulder armor
-Form and paint bicep armor
-Finish gauntlet
-Mount thigh armor
-Mount knees
-Make gun holster
-Mod gun
-Make knife
-Ammo belt

And then medic stuff, most of which may have to wait until after SLCC and approval (hopefully). I've got some empty small canisters from other projects that could make bacta/other med carries, gonna sew some pouches to carry medical supplies, and then I want to make up some surgical tools and mount them on my gauntlet somehow. I'd like a small medic bag, too, to carry actual medical equipment...you know, for emergencies. Just gotta figure out where to put it, lol. Probably then gonna do either a medical scanner out of something or a bacta administration gun.

Well, I think that's about where I am right now. If I can get away with it, I'd like to only do one gauntlet on my non-dominant hand so I have a free hand to do medic-y stuff, but gonna depend on if those hand wraps are quality enough.

Phew, long update!

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2013, 04:18 AM by Keyaroscuro » Logged

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #51 on: Aug 20, 2013, 04:49 AM »
Looking good! The spacing looks right to me, though I think it'd look better it you moved the sash/ loin cloth down a little bit. Where it is at the moment kind of makes your torso look really short in comparison to the rest of your body. I'm really liking the direction this kit is heading in though :)

Kyram Sorenn

• Wampa Clan, Maine
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #52 on: Aug 20, 2013, 05:04 AM »
After seeing one of the progress pics on tumblr, I just had to find the wip thread that went with it  :P
This is definitely coming together nicely; you're certainly on the right track
Like Tracyn said, I'd move down the sash a tiny bit, or at least tuck it a little under the ab armor.
I can't wait to see this done! Good luck, and I hope you make your deadline.  :D

Six-barreled rotary cannon capable of solving 6,000 problems per minute. I love assault cannons.

Jay Krayt

• Practice makes progress
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #53 on: Aug 20, 2013, 10:13 AM »
I agree with Tracyn, just move the sash down a bit. The weathering looks great, and I love the soft parts. I can't wait to see this in person! Keep it up vod  :)

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #54 on: Aug 20, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Paint job is looking real nice, great work.

Tweak that sash placement and keep up the hard work.

Keyaroscuro

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #55 on: Aug 20, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Looking good! The spacing looks right to me, though I think it'd look better it you moved the sash/ loin cloth down a little bit. Where it is at the moment kind of makes your torso look really short in comparison to the rest of your body. I'm really liking the direction this kit is heading in though :)

The sash is riding on my low waist but above my hip, so I think if I move it down to ride on my hip, that should solve it! I think what happened was I ended up tying the loincloth too high and had to use the sash to cover it. Either way, I'd be happy to show more of my ab plates, haha. Thanks, Tracyn! :)

After seeing one of the progress pics on tumblr, I just had to find the wip thread that went with it  :P
This is definitely coming together nicely; you're certainly on the right track
Like Tracyn said, I'd move down the sash a tiny bit, or at least tuck it a little under the ab armor.
I can't wait to see this done! Good luck, and I hope you make your deadline.  :D

Ahhh I've been found! xD Thanks Kyram, I hope I can reach that deadline, too!

I agree with Tracyn, just move the sash down a bit. The weathering looks great, and I love the soft parts. I can't wait to see this in person! Keep it up vod  :)

Ahhh man I'm really hoping it's good in person haha! Thank you. :D

Paint job is looking real nice, great work.

Tweak that sash placement and keep up the hard work.

Thanks, Thaxos! Definitely will do about that sash. ;D

So today I need to get someone to help me mount my backplates. Then, weather permitting, I hope to paint the last bits of armor...which might have to wait if I end up running out of spray paint, which is looking more and more like it's going to happen before I'm done. Ah well. Also gonna stop by the fabric store and see about that dark blue fabric. Hopefully I'll have an update tonight!

Thanks vode!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #56 on: Aug 20, 2013, 03:17 PM »
Looking good ;) looks like every one spoted everything so keep up the good work ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kyr'am Prudii

• This is my face.
« Reply #57 on: Aug 20, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Looking awesome as ever Keya. Can't wait to see what the finished product looks like in person!!

-Kyr

Keyaroscuro

« Reply #58 on: Aug 21, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Thanks Niabi and Kyr! ^^

Got another update. Finally suited up during daylight hours when people are awake to take my picture.

First off, I got my backplate mounted. Minimum velcro at the moment, so it's adjustable.

Then did a full suit-up with what I have done right now. I got a different, darker fabric for my blue soft parts as you can see. What do you think? Should I go back to the other, more vibrant blue, or stick with this muted, darker color? I also moved the sash/loincloth down as suggested. Should it go down further or is it too low?

Also it was really windy outside.

Ugh that back view lmao. I didn't realize this when we took the pictures, but I had way too much padding in the helmet. It also ended up leaning more front heavy. I'll remember to adjust it correctly to hide my skin/hair for future pictures.

Side view with my ponytail sticking out and some skin showing because fail.

But yeah, after looking at the pictures, I adjusted the padding and my ponytail and took another back view picture with the helmet. And like I said...minimal velcro at the moment on the back, lol.

Past the obvious fails I mentioned, anything else? :)

Right now I'm finishing up my shoulders and rigging a mounting system for my knees and thighs. Also going to do some work on an ammo belt, pouches, and some weapons/other gear, so there may be another update tonight.

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2013, 07:21 PM by Keyaroscuro » Logged

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #59 on: Aug 21, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Looking good to me :)

Kyr'am Prudii

• This is my face.
« Reply #60 on: Aug 21, 2013, 07:28 PM »
I like it!! It's really really coming along nicely!

-Kyr

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #61 on: Aug 22, 2013, 07:20 AM »
Looks good ;) .

« Reply #62 on: Aug 22, 2013, 11:27 AM »
Awesome kit !  8)

WIP - MAJIC #121 - MA #102 - EMTS #62 - RAM #12 - Instagram

Kyr'am Prudii

• This is my face.
« Reply #63 on: Aug 25, 2013, 03:16 AM »
We can haz update? :laugh:

-Kyr

Keyaroscuro

« Reply #64 on: Aug 25, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Thanks vode! :)

Aaand yeah sure why not an update. xD Just a little one, though. I had to work the past three days and get ready for the semester starting tomorrow (yikes!), but I did get a little bit done!

I forgot to mention last update that I installed antenna to my helmet instead of an RF.

And then I decided I liked the more vibrant blue better for the soft parts. The dark blue just had too much...purple, I think, and not enough grey. So I went ahead with my "secret" plan for the blue parts using the vibrant blue fabric.

First made myself a stencil out of freezer paper.

Then ironed it waxy-side down onto my fabric.

And then painted with leftover fabric paint from another project.

Aaaand done. After heating-setting it with my iron of course.

Also half-finished ammo belt and Catbus shirt. I may still do a few more designs to balance out the skull on the other side of the loincloth, but we'll see how it looks with the full armor set on first. Also need to do weathering and tighten up that belt. Easy enough fixes.

Tonight after my choir gig I should have my shoulders done and hooopefully my knees, so there may be a more exciting update to come later. Then just gotta work on the gauntlet and weapons!

Kyr'am Prudii

• This is my face.
« Reply #65 on: Aug 25, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Yay update!

Everything looks awesome! I like the painted logo and rf things :p ill see this in...10 days? ? :laugh:

-Kyr

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #66 on: Aug 26, 2013, 06:55 PM »
I really like the kyr'bes on the loin cloth like that! It looks great :D

z2the4

• Light side or darkside, they both pay the same.
« Reply #67 on: Aug 27, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Love this build!

besides just being EPIC, Our bucket's(and colors for the kit in general) are very close and that we both opted with Antenna/s instead of a RF.

Cannot WAIT to see this finished, gonna get me all ramped up to get moving onto the rest of my kit!

*thumbs up*

Keyaroscuro

« Reply #68 on: Aug 28, 2013, 10:23 PM »
Thanks vode! :D

@z2the4 Blue and white is definitely a good color scheme! ^^

Aaand time for an update! It's the first week of classes, so I'm pulling 16+ hour days of school and work, but today I had a day off (slept through most of it, but still).

After many days of thinking about how I wanted to do my knees, I came up with a simple and cheap solution. I got a strip of leftover duck cloth from my vest, sewed on some velcro with matching sticky-back velcro on the back of the knees, and then attached the cloth to leftover elastic from my vest (it's fair use to have elastic for knees, right?) I walked around with them for a while, and they held up surprisingly well.

Also I finally finished my shoulders. And I weathered all my blue and grey fabric, although it was dark when we took pictures, so you can't really tell. I'm pretty happy with it so far, though. Gonna do a bit of tearing and holes, maybe some burning, and then I think it'll be good. Looking at the pictures now, the shoulders need to be adjusted just a bit to make them even, and I need to move up the backplate a tad (the straps holding the insider together snapped in a few places, so it made it wonky...will fix tonight). We were rushing to get out while it was still a little light outside. Oh, and I got different boots. Past that, anything else?

Eegads, I've discovered giant plants!

I think I might forgo bicep armor and maaaybe thigh armor for right now and save them for future upgrades because of the way I did the shoulders and knees. As long as the shoulders and knees are good (will be altering the knees just a bit to make the white and blue parts lie more flush), then I think I'm done with the armor set (minus the gauntlet; I have a simple one ready for painting, but I may save it for my medic brigade upgrades after SLCC). I just need to finish adding pouches to my ammo belt, and then paint my blaster and make a holster for it, which I will be doing tomorrow.

Past that, I think that's it. Any opinions and crits? Think I can submit in the next few days?

Thanks all y'all! I'm getting excited to see this come together. :D

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2013, 11:55 PM by Keyaroscuro » Logged

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #69 on: Aug 29, 2013, 08:55 PM »
This is coming along very nicely!!!

- You'll have to straighten the chest diamond.
- Make sure your knee armor is leveled. (right now it looks like your right one is higher than the left)

- Personally I would weather the soft parts (cape and loin cloth) a bit more, especially the edges. It's very easy and it would give the whole thing a more uniform look!
- Also, and this is just a suggestion, if you could wear a thicker belt (the black one over your girth belt), I think it would look even better.

Like I said, this is coming a VERY nicely!! You're doing a real good job here!

Keyaroscuro

« Reply #70 on: Aug 29, 2013, 11:44 PM »
This is coming along very nicely!!!

- You'll have to straighten the chest diamond.
- Make sure your knee armor is leveled. (right now it looks like your right one is higher than the left)

- Personally I would weather the soft parts (cape and loin cloth) a bit more, especially the edges. It's very easy and it would give the whole thing a more uniform look!
- Also, and this is just a suggestion, if you could wear a thicker belt (the black one over your girth belt), I think it would look even better.

Like I said, this is coming a VERY nicely!! You're doing a real good job here!

-Chest diamond. I think I need to put more velcro on the back and vest for a more solid stick. That should solve it!
-Level knees. Easy enough fix!
-Weather soft parts. Also easy enough to do!
-Shouldn't be too difficult to sew up a thicker belt.

Sweet, thanks a bunch Kelan! ^^

Keyaroscuro

« Reply #71 on: Aug 31, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Okiedokie! I think I finished? Maybe? I sewed up a thicker belt, and I agree that a thicker one does look better, lol. I also weathered up the edges of the soft parts with a seam ripper, spray paint, and some matches. That was fun.

Anyway, I'd like to gear up to submit this weekend, so let me know what needs to be changed or adjusted for app pictures! :)

Thanks for all the help so far! ^^

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2013, 04:42 PM by Keyaroscuro » Logged

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #72 on: Aug 31, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Nice! I think it would look good if you added a little bit of padding under the arm wraps to help bulk them up a bit.

razor

« Reply #73 on: Aug 31, 2013, 09:53 PM »
looking great!

Count up your sins

mando merc 803!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #74 on: Sep 01, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Looks great Vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!