Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Firrerreo-Mando WIP: Joha Suvarir [Pic heavy] - Testfit (pg16)

• 268 Replies

Talev

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Remo kicked my behind to start this thread in the international part of the forum, since I've just done one in the German subpart.
So here she is: Joha Suvarir.. or what will be here, hopefully soon.

This originally was my second kit in built, because I couldn't get the proper helmet for the other one in time for CEII.
So I worked and worked, Darth Real Life caught up with me and of course I wasn't finished in time.
Now, with a new helmet that was granted to me by the "big guys" on CEII, I'm even more motivated to finish this project as well as the other one.

So what is it going to be?

A Firrerreo. I love the fact, that Star Wars has so many species to offer, so why not use them a bit more? Since prosthetics don't agree with me, I decided to go with a near human species where I wouldn't have that much trouble with make-up, etc.
She's supposed to be an archivist, more or less an archeologists that procures items from places, where people usually don't want to go (war zones, environmental hazard zones, etc.).
And she's going to be a bit more girly, at least when it comes to the soft parts. I thought about a slit skirt in some lighter fabric. We'll see how that goes.

At first, I wanted to go all sunset with the colours, like this:

But I believe my painting skills aren't that good, so I narrowed it down to black and red for the soft parts and gold and red for the armouring.

Make-up/hair

Firrerreo have colourful hair, since mine is sort of reddish-brown right now, I decided to get some blond clip-ins.

Weapons
I found this with my old larping gear:

Nirob made this Verp, I repainted it according to the chosen colour scheme for the armour.

Soft parts
Boots

Kama
Basic  Kama Mock-up
Kama Variations
Undyed Kama
Dyed Kama
Kama detail front
Kama - final version
Dirty Kama

Armour
Painting process, first layer: gold
First layer, battle damage visible
Whole set, first layer paint, battle damage
"Dirty little bugger!" - grime
More grime
Europe sigil on the right shoulder
Painting Process: Red highlights
Painting Process: Red highlights, battle damage
Finished chest

Bucket [/b]
Golden Bucket with adhoc grime
Painting Process: Details
Finished Bucket

Trophies
"The Key"

Bonus: The General, blocking the creative process as usual.

Looking forward to comments and especially constructive critique!

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2014, 10:56 AM by Talev » Logged

Nagra Shysa

• member 290
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Firrerreo-Mando WIP: Joha Suvarir [Pic heavy]
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2013, 11:32 AM »
As I told You several times before, you are so close and this will be an outstanding kit, I'm sure! ;)

I MISS YOU MY FRIEND!
"Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum."  - I'm still alive, but you are dead. I remember you, so you are eternal.

Kolrek

• Awards 40% increase or more Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2013, 03:22 PM »
it looks great. can`t wait to see more

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Oh man! This is looking so good! Can't wait to see it finished. I love the design of your backplate!

Talev

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Thanks guys :)

I'm still not totally happy with it, but I'll see about that after I've moved.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2013, 06:40 AM »
We need to work on your weathering a bit, Looks a bit blotchy. You need to get some scratches in there. Have a good look at mine, it'll give you an idea on where the weathering needs to go. Think of it as wear and tear, how do the plates move or interact with each other. Where are they most likely to get knocked or hit. Take all these things into consideration when weathering.

But you know i like it so far ;) .

Talev

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2013, 06:47 AM »
The weathering.. yeah ^^. I applied some silver in a.. let's say: free form? Thought I better put on a bit too much. I'll go with the toothpaste technique Tyno and the others told me about, so before I'll add the gold spray colour, I'll cover the spots. Don't now yet, if I'll do all of them.. probably not, because it's way too much already.
It's on all the places I wasn't happy with, while working with the heat gun. There are some small dents (especially the one in the middle of the chest, wanted to make a blaster hit out of it), thought they could work good for intensifying the damaged look.

Already got a collection of battle damage, bullet holes and some other kits where I liked the damage :). I'll take a closer look at yours.

Thank you for the advice :)

Reeza

• The cake is a lie
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2013, 05:28 PM »
I'm really liking the concept of this kit, especially the idea of a Firrerreo archivist - very neat.  8)
I agree with Remo about the weathering. Have you tried going over some of the armor with sandpaper? It's a great way to add roughness and scratches. I look forward to how you develop a more "damaged" look.  :)
How are you planning to attach the armor on?

Never hurt my vod.
Completed Kit
Art Thread

Talev

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Thanks, Reeza :)

About the sandpaper: I'm used to be rough to stuff from post apocalyptic larping. So I've got a full arsenal of tools to torture that armour with XD. Probably will be the most fun. But then again, it's not supposed to look to damaged.. I mean: Archivist. Come on. How dangerous can books and caves be... .. ..

I'm happy about any advice, so far I've just weathered clothing. Making something look like metal is completely new land for me.
I've got metal gold spraycolour that I will apply as soon as I've moved into the new apartment, all the while covering the silver parts in whatever form of battle damage I want them to be.. but from there on, I'm sort of clueless. Especially because I'm worried that the yellow will shine through if I'm too rough on it.

What do you mean by attaching? The chest armour is self carrying, so I'll just add some clasps on the sides (two to three, not sure yet), so that it will stay in place on its own.
Do you mean the leg plates, etc.?

Reeza

• The cake is a lie
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2013, 07:42 PM »
Welcome Talev.  :)

Ah, yeah I get what you mean. Well you never know when a gigantic rock will chase you out of a cave.....  ;)
Good luck with the painting! Yes I meant the leg plates and such. However I think your method with the chest armor is nifty.  :)

Never hurt my vod.
Completed Kit
Art Thread

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2013, 04:01 AM »
Looking real good vod ;)

I agree with the weathering comments ;) oh and thats a nice Verp ;D

archivist  :rolleyes: Ill point Nala over this way to have a look ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Talev

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2013, 07:54 AM »
@Niabi: Yeeeeessss.. archivists united. Nothing more frightful for unsuspecting visitors in the library!
And thank you :).

I'll look over the weathering, promised!

@Reeza: Legplates.. uuhm yeah. That's something I need to sort out, because I don't like velcro. The gaunts nearly hold by themselve, but I think I'll add some leather straps on top of it to make it a bit mor feminine... or something like this. Not my field of speciality ^^.
With the leg plates I actually thought of a similar system: Attaching fabric straps to the inside of the plates, adding some loops to the suit and pulling the straps through there to get a criss-crossed look on the back of the legs. As long as that would be ok with CRL, I have a solution. If not, back to the drawingboard ;).

Still thinking about how light I can make the kama. Since Joha is not supposed to be a frontline fighter, more of a diplomat/adventurer type, I thought of adding a bit more girly parts in there..
What do you guys think?

Ne'tra Cuyan

• Iba'ijaat cuyi bic ne'dralshy'a rohaka.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Bumping to stay tuned for your progress ;D

M.V.S. #35   P.M.S. #18   Q.M.U. #41

Talev

« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2013, 05:42 PM »
Bumping to stay tuned for your progress ;D

Aaaah.. the pressure!

Can't do much right now :). Packing up for moving in about two weeks. But after that I'll finally have a good workroom and will work as much as possible on this project.

But maybe another small idea: I found a old (cheap) touch tablet in my electronic trash box. Thinking of building a datapad like this one out of it:

I'm not quite sure what to use as material, so that I can still press the original buttons to switch it on/off.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2013, 06:32 PM »
You could make it removable, so you take the touch pad out and turn it on before trooping, then put it inside the datapad body while trooping, then once you are done take it out to turn it off.

Talev

« Reply #16 on: Aug 06, 2013, 05:05 AM »
Hmm.. good idea, thanks!
Could work if i get a case in the right size and just add stuff up there *thinking*

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #17 on: Aug 06, 2013, 01:00 PM »
I agree with Tracyn, probably the best method of incorporating it.

Nala

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #18 on: Aug 18, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Really liking your progress on this so far
And you're welcome to visit my archive any time... although it'll give a few researchers a bit of a shock!

Talev

« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2013, 05:57 PM »
Thank you :)

Why should your archive give me a shock? :D
Archives are there to be searched in. Would be boring, if every book would be in the right place.

Going to move in six days, so there won't be any updates soon :(.

Nala

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2013, 11:51 AM »
I meant more that you'll scare the other researchers if you turn up in Armour!

Talev

« Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Oh. Ah well. They're used to stuff like that by now :).

Updates coming soon. Finally moved and sorted most of my stuff in, so let the spray painting begin.
 I'll keep in mind what Remo said about blotchy spots.

Talev

« Reply #22 on: Sep 24, 2013, 12:09 PM »
It's a sunny warm day (and I'm procrastinating), so I'm taking my chances with spray paint. Added the first layer of gold.. and it's .. shiny!
The strangely structured parts are mustard (for the battle damage), hope it will not look to blotchy. These are just the silver parts, I will probably add something else later on.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: Sep 24, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Shiny ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Talev

And here's the result for the chest armour.
Any suggestions for the battle damage?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!