Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nimrodjess WIP First Kit- PIC HEAVY Full kit pg 3

• 52 Replies

Cora Kav'lya

• Weapons are a part of my religion.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Nimrodjess WIP First Kit- PIC HEAVY Full kit pg 3
« on: Aug 12, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I suppose I should get one of these started...

Quote from: Nimrodjess
I did it, brethren...
on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:29 AM

Last night, I took my first major step and purchased a resin-cast bucket blank from another forum member. I should have my first ever bucket by next week! I can't even begin to describe how excited I am. Trying to sleep last night was ridiculous- I was like a kid on Christmas only instead of sugarplums, I had visions of soft parts dancing through my head.

Mwahaha, at last, my creation is born!

Also, can't wait to show it to you guys. :-)

Bucket was purchased from this thread:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=59645.0

Quote from: Nimrodjess
Unexpected progress!
on: May 10, 2013, 08:10 AM

My husband and I went on an impromptu date last night and I scored a rather unexpected and unusual item that means leaps and bounds in the progress of my kit!

We were strolling through the mall, the first time in years, after a movie... and happened past a store that was tossing out a female half mennequin. :O Granted, it is a "standard" sized one and I will likely need a larger one to accommodate my... er... huge tracts of land, however, I have the means and materials to practice on now, and I have spare bits for my actual kit! I'm stoked!

Hooray for unexpected gifts.

I then attended an awesome clan armor party on July 13, 2013. :D Thanks to the local mercs, we were able to get plates cut, and I got a large portion of the rest of the armor donated to me by OMs and my Clan Alor'ad.

Here's my current progress:

Armor/Bucket

Boots

I got these in the mail today. Knee-high. No laces or zipper. Thoughts?

Need to shape, paint, and fit it, as well as purchase/acquire a flight suit and vest!

Update Feb 12, 2014:

Everything is shaped, flight suit is acquired- needs dyed, and vest is a go! I'm all set to prime/paint and attach!

Update Feb 20, 2014:

All pieces except abs and shins are primed. Abs need a little more love. I need to build gaunt(s) and figure out a back plate!

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2014, 10:18 AM by NimrodJess » Logged

First Kit Build

Force Hunter WIP

ALUMINATI #047 | B.O.M.B #022 | Mir'shebs #044 #10 | MAJIC #153 | MARS #068 | O.O.P.S #041 | QMU #014 | Traffic Cone #010 | WB #024

Keyaroscuro

• Do what you love, love what you do.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Nimrodjess WIP (First Kit)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2013, 12:59 PM »
I really like those boots.

Looks like you're off to a good start! Do you have an overall concept design? :)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Looks like a great start vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Linora Void

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2013, 01:44 PM »
Those boots are so beautiful...  :'(

Good start, vod!

Void   |   WIP

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2013, 03:47 PM »
You're off to a good start, keep it up!

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Cora Kav'lya

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Thanks for all the boot love!
I bought them on Amazon. They are "Naughty Monkey" brand, "Desperado" style in black. They were about $50 for my size. Price varies depending on retailer. They are a little stiff at first, but once the sole starts to break down (took about 2-3 days of 4-6 hours wear each day), they are wonderful!

First Kit Build

Force Hunter WIP

ALUMINATI #047 | B.O.M.B #022 | Mir'shebs #044 #10 | MAJIC #153 | MARS #068 | O.O.P.S #041 | QMU #014 | Traffic Cone #010 | WB #024

Cora Kav'lya

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:20 PM »
UPDATE!

I made immense progress under the pressure of realizing that my self-imposed deadline is 12 days away!

Everything is cut, shaped, and I rounded the edges off most of the plates because I think it looks "softer" and less abrasive. I'm off to prime it all in a while, but here's the main armor laid out! Thighs, shins, shoulders, and helmet not pictured.

I need to get a gaunt and finish my belts/pouches and I'll be ready!

Here's a closer shot of the rounded edges.

First Kit Build

Force Hunter WIP

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Looks good Vod ;) I'd recommend taping the plates to you so we can check the size / fit ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Cora Kav'lya

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:48 PM »
I've done that... however it's hard to take a selfie of that. LOL

First Kit Build

Force Hunter WIP

Cora Kav'lya

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Scored some AMAZING pouches last night for SUPER cheap. I'm going to replace the corner leathers with black, but I believe I am leaving hte rusty brown/orange/darker tan main straps as is.

First Kit Build

Force Hunter WIP

Prudii Kyramud

• fetch
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Scored some AMAZING pouches last night for SUPER cheap. I'm going to replace the corner leathers with black, but I believe I am leaving hte rusty brown/orange/darker tan main straps as is.

Those pouches are pretty sick looking. Can't wait to see the edits to them you're talking about.

Cora Kav'lya

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:06 PM »
I made some awesome progress today!

All the plates I have are primed. I have fabric for my cloak, which I intend on finishing tonight, and tomorrow I am picking up some rough gauntlet blanks.

First Kit Build

Force Hunter WIP

Cora Kav'lya

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:13 PM »

How's my suit and vest and neck seal fit? I've heard some OMs say they were critiqued on the flight suit legs being too baggy. Does it look like I should take these in?

First Kit Build

Force Hunter WIP

Cora Kav'lya

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:01 PM »
I sanded the primer down to a smooth surface using 1500 grit sandpaper to get the surface smooth and even before I added color. It ended up revealing some pretty awesome areas of weathering and damage opportunity that I will likely use... because using the natural imperfections in the plastic and paint can only make the overall appearance more natural, right?

Here's a pic:

Notice the scuffing there already? I love it.

Today's primary focus was starting my weathering! Since my main color is going to be a dark gunmetal gray to simulate Ultrachrome, I wanted the weathering and damages to resemble rust.

Here's the first layer, a color called "Red Oxide" and is made by Ace Hardware.

Then I added some toothpaste as a masking agent, (as seen here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70055.msg1066914#msg1066914_

I added some "leather brown" matte paint over that, but my phone was dying so no pics of that until tomorrow.

First Kit Build

Force Hunter WIP

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:06 PM »
suit looks a little baggy, also can we get some pics of the armor taped to you for sizing?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!