Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom Blaster Rifle, pic heavy

• 60 Replies

ravonos

• I don't hate people, I think they're delicious.
Custom Blaster Rifle, pic heavy
« on: Aug 21, 2013, 07:30 PM »
I started out thinking I was going to build a Verpine from scratch, but then I came into some cool stuff and figured I could cobble it together to make a custom blaster rifle. I got the stock from my neighbor and the airsoft receiver from my sister's boyfriend. Let me know what you think.

Basic Idea

Here are some of the parts I used

Custom AK style stock

Broken Airsoft Gun

I started by cutting off the extra plastic I needed gone.

Screwed a block of wood to the interior of the receiver and stock, screws will be filled with bondo

Got it pretty straight I think

And that's what I've got done for today. Going to be getting some pvc for the barrel. I might use some steel pipe I have along with a shotgun grip I have but we'll see what works. Let me know what you think and thanks for looking.

Tor'dola Magnus

• Nothing runs... like my Bounty
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Custom Blaster Rifle, pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2013, 08:04 PM »
I like this so far. I'll be following the build.

Oyacyir de balac, kar'taylir darasuum de gaanader, kyr'amur de bora
"LIVE by chance... LOVE by Choice... KILL by Profession"

E.M.T.S. #083
MAD:036
M.A. #098

ForceHunter WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63712.0

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2013, 08:25 PM »
I'd recommend using epoxy putty to fill the are we're you joined the stock to the receiver.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Definitely has potential ...... Keep at it ...  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2013, 10:02 PM »
I started out thinking I was going to build a Verpine from scratch, but then I came into some cool stuff and figured I could cobble it together to make a custom blaster rifle. I got the stock from my neighbor and the airsoft receiver from my sister's boyfriend. Let me know what you think.

Basic Idea

Here are some of the parts I used

Custom AK style stock

Broken Airsoft Gun

I started by cutting off the extra plastic I needed gone.

Screwed a block of wood to the interior of the receiver and stock, screws will be filled with bondo

Got it pretty straight I think

And that's what I've got done for today. Going to be getting some pvc for the barrel. I might use some steel pipe I have along with a shotgun grip I have but we'll see what works. Let me know what you think and thanks for looking.
Liking what I see here so far.  Like Dresdon said, make sure to fill that gap.

Zohar Nef

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2013, 11:45 PM »
Nice base to start from reminds me a lot of what I did with almost the exact same stuff.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=60562.0

There is no problem in life that can not be solved through the proper aplication of high explosives.

ravonos

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2013, 03:33 AM »
Wow. Was not expecting this many comments haha.

I haven't worked with epoxy putty before but I guess this would be a good time to start.

I hadn't seen your build Zohar but you're right, very similar ingredients. If you have any tips about attaching the barrel I would love to get some input.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone, it's been a good start I think and I'm excited to get this project finished.

Zohar Nef

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Best tip on the barrel I can give is to run a small barrel into the body and lock it down inside of the body then build a bigger barrel over it.  Makes it very stable and not wobbly. 

There is no problem in life that can not be solved through the proper aplication of high explosives.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2013, 09:49 PM »
I'm not sure of the name of the fastener but its like a lagbolt but the head of it is a nut, on a few occasions I've used one of those with a length of threaded rod running the length of the barrel in order to mount barrels. Or depending on your materials you can get the Nickle plated tubes for drains and the wide threaded ends for them, then attach the adaptor to the receiver and screw the pipe onto that to be a barrel.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Looks like a great start vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

ravonos

« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2013, 12:51 AM »
Thanks all for the input, work has been crazy the last few days so I haven't had a chance to do any work on the build. I did get a chance to read over some other builds and take all your ideas and make a bit of a plan on what to work on next. Hopefully I can get a day off in the next couple days to sit down and get stuff done

ravonos

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Work has been absolutely insane this last week. This is all the work I was able to get done. It doesn't really look swarzy to me though. Any and all suggestions are welcome and I would be very grateful. I'm thinking if I add enough greeblies it could look better but I'm at a bit of a creative standstill right now. I had a thought about a fore-grip to give it a better feel but was unsure so thoughts on that would be welcome as well. Anyways, here is what I've got done.

First bit of epoxy putty

Epoxy putty shaped and sanded

Makeshift barrel, not finalized and too long

Let me know what you think, because I don't have a clue on where to go from here haha.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Work has been absolutely insane this last week. This is all the work I was able to get done. It doesn't really look swarzy to me though. Any and all suggestions are welcome and I would be very grateful. I'm thinking if I add enough greeblies it could look better but I'm at a bit of a creative standstill right now. I had a thought about a fore-grip to give it a better feel but was unsure so thoughts on that would be welcome as well. Anyways, here is what I've got done.

First bit of epoxy putty

Epoxy putty shaped and sanded

Makeshift barrel, not finalized and too long

Let me know what you think, because I don't have a clue on where to go from here haha.
Clean, baby!  You're doing good work!  Throw a scope on top of the main body.  Do something with the barrel, maybe E-11-style fins, maybe punch a row of holes through the barrel, like a heat sink.  Maybe an iron sight on the front of the barrel, maybe a conical flash suppressor on the end of the barrel.  Cap the magazine well...  a foldable bipod would be a good addition, as your rifle has a certain "sniper/ sharpshooter" feel to it.

ravonos

« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Clean, baby!  You're doing good work!  Throw a scope on top of the main body.  Do something with the barrel, maybe E-11-style fins, maybe punch a row of holes through the barrel, like a heat sink.  Maybe an iron sight on the front of the barrel, maybe a conical flash suppressor on the end of the barrel.  Cap the magazine well...  a foldable bipod would be a good addition, as your rifle has a certain "sniper/ sharpshooter" feel to it.

Iron sights are definitely something I was planning so it's good to hear that. I like the idea of adding a folding bipod, it would give me a good place to put my hands. It didn't start out as a sniper but now that you've mentioned that it's given me a whole new outlook on what I'm creating, haha.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2013, 08:04 PM »
Really Nice Work ner'vod ....  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2013, 03:43 AM »
I would say to go with the picture you drew.
Echo pretty much covered the top thing you should work towards.
I think this is awsloo

"Remember the weakness of weapons, they are an extension.
You are the killer and the destroyer.
You are whole, with or without them."
-Richard K. Morgan-

ravonos

« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2013, 08:55 PM »
I finally had some time off work this week to work on my blaster. After spending a few days thinking about it I decided to go with a new idea inspired by all of your feedback. I got myself some swiss cheese action and a smaller inner barrel with a newly designed front end. I'm still not sure if I want to add a bipod to this project just yet but it's definitely something I'm thinking about. Anyways, here's the progress.

Scope added

Barrel and shroud

Close up of inner barrel

Shroud attached with no inner barrel, still trying to figure out a permanent way of attaching it securely and straight.

That's all for now, another trip to home depot and I should be getting close to finished. I'm going to cut the barrel/shroud down a few inches more than likely but it's still going to be about 18" long. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2013, 09:06 PM »
I finally had some time off work this week to work on my blaster. After spending a few days thinking about it I decided to go with a new idea inspired by all of your feedback. I got myself some swiss cheese action and a smaller inner barrel with a newly designed front end. I'm still not sure if I want to add a bipod to this project just yet but it's definitely something I'm thinking about. Anyways, here's the progress.

Scope added

Barrel and shroud

Close up of inner barrel

Shroud attached with no inner barrel, still trying to figure out a permanent way of attaching it securely and straight.

That's all for now, another trip to home depot and I should be getting close to finished. I'm going to cut the barrel/shroud down a few inches more than likely but it's still going to be about 18" long. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Eh, skip the rail and go for a direct-to-body scope mount.  That said, looking awesome!

ravonos

« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2013, 12:14 AM »
Eh, skip the rail and go for a direct-to-body scope mount.  That said, looking awesome!

I was thinking the same thing. The only issue is that the rail is semi built into the air soft gun. I can remove it but I'm not sure what to put in its place that would be solid enough to mount the scope too.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2013, 01:22 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. The only issue is that the rail is semi built into the air soft gun. I can remove it but I'm not sure what to put in its place that would be solid enough to mount the scope too.
A Dremel for removal and copious amounts of Bondo for attachment of the scope should work just fine.  Build it up with sintra on top of the rifle, if you feel like giving it a little extra solidity.

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2013, 02:10 AM »
Or you could trim with dremal the sections you don't need and smooth the remaining whole thing off with Bondo, then you still have your scopes anchor point and rebuild up the rest, I've cut off things in the past, then had problems attaching when I could have just modified the anchor point.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Maybe you could put both of teh scope mounts right next to each other ;) and then fill the rest of the mounts with bondo ;) 

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2013, 05:10 PM »
so far so good!!!!  :D

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #23 on: Sep 13, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Or you could trim with dremal the sections you don't need and smooth the remaining whole thing off with Bondo, then you still have your scopes anchor point and rebuild up the rest, I've cut off things in the past, then had problems attaching when I could have just modified the anchor point.
This, actually, sounds like a much more reasonable idea.  Rav, run with this.  My mind has been changed. :P

Boz Ving

• The Hero of Jakku
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #24 on: Sep 13, 2013, 08:42 PM »
I really like this!!!! Those look like "high" or "medium" rings. You should be able to pick up a set of "low" rings at walmart for 5 or 6 bucks. That would get that scope profile down.

"The armor I wear is 500 years old. I reforged it to my liking, but the battles, the history, the blood, all lives within it, and the same goes for every Mandalorian."-Sabine Wren

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!