Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Echo's Going Legacy... PRE-APP PHOTOS ON PAGE 5!!!

• 81 Replies

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Echo's Going Legacy... PRE-APP PHOTOS ON PAGE 5!!!
« on: Aug 30, 2013, 05:53 PM »
Currently in the process of throwing together a Legacy kit manufactured out of 16 ga mild steel...

At this point, the chest plate edges have been folded (I don't always take photos while working, etc...), and I'm working on the middle ab section and collar plate.  Full access to a welding/ metal fabrication shop has its advantages...

Now, my question is in respect to a Legacy backplate.  How big does the sucker have to be?  I'd like a smaller backplate, something that ends around mid-back, in order to conserve materials (raw steel tends to be significantly more expensive than plastics like PVC or sintra) and preserve mobility.  I'm not too crazy about Vhart's backplate design, so that one has pretty much been pushed to the side...  The option of a cape has come to mind, but in conjunction with a loin cloth, I'm a little afraid that it'd be far too ragged and "over-clothed" looking.

TL;DR can I rock an abbreviated backplate, or should I go with a cape?

« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2013, 06:16 PM by Echo Darklighter » Logged

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Echo's Going Legacy...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2013, 07:45 PM »
That looks awesome!

I would cut out a paper prototype to fit it to yourself/share for opinions to check sizing.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2013, 07:55 PM »
That looks awesome!

I would cut out a paper prototype to fit it to yourself/share for opinions to check sizing.
Thanks!  It's all hand-hammered, so plenty of blood and sweat have gone into these plates, already.  And good call on the paper prototype.  I'll knock one out sometime soon.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2013, 07:46 PM »
A few small updates- New plates fabricated!

Collar and back...

First shin...

This week, I hope to have the chest plates welded together and shaped.  We'll see what the week's work load looks like...

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Yet another update!  I get the feeling I'm being ignored...

Anyway, yes!  The shaping and welding of the chest, collar, and first ab plate has begun!

Ignore the bluing.  It's a by-product of introducing steel to high heat.  It's not intentional, and will (obviously) be cleaned up and painted over in the final product.

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2013, 11:10 PM »
I like what I see  8)   Seeing all the new legacy builds going on is really making me want some of that action...

Will this be a secondary kit for you, or an upgrade of what you have now?

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2013, 12:08 AM »
I like what I see  8)   Seeing all the new legacy builds going on is really making me want some of that action...

Will this be a secondary kit for you, or an upgrade of what you have now?
A secondary kit, maybe a new primary.  I love my Modern kit, but there are a few small problems here and there with it that would take far too much time, energy, effort, and money to fix.  In all likelihood, I'll probably put the modern kit aside, breaking it out on special occasions.  Once it's done, the Legacy kit will be the regular runner.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2013, 03:37 PM »
thats looking cool ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Looking good so far, Echo. Keep up the hard work.

Seeing all the new legacy builds going on is really making me want some of that action...

Join us Vhett... One of us, one of us...  :laugh:

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2013, 02:49 PM »
Looking good so far, Echo. Keep up the hard work.

Join us Vhett... One of us, one of us...  :laugh:

What he said... On both accounts. lol

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Just a bit of progress.  Finally got the chest plates together and (mostly) shaped.

What do you think, add another ab plate?  I have a fairly wide girth belt, and I'm reluctant to add more weight onto what will already be a heavy kit.

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2013, 09:29 PM »
hmm it might be good how it is, depending on the girth.  It's a little hard to say.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2013, 09:38 PM »
hmm it might be good how it is, depending on the girth.  It's a little hard to say.
Should mention the plates will hang a tiny bit lower- without proper rigging, it's hard to get them to sit right. That, and I need to shape the collar plate to more smoothly accommodate my shoulders.  Working with steel isn't nearly as difficult as you'd think, but it can be time-consuming to make those "little tweaks" that make everything come together smoothly.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Torso armor is shaping up real well, though I think you may need one additional ab section.

Would be easier to tell if you had the flight suit and girth belt on.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Torso armor is shaping up real well, though I think you may need one additional ab section.

Would be easier to tell if you had the flight suit and girth belt on.

New shot, girth belt (a product of our own Nara Kebiitra) added for reference.  Looks good to me, personally.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2013, 03:23 PM »
It looks pretty good vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Vhett Naast

« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2013, 03:29 PM »
I'll echo what Niabi said and say that is good there, I think if you added another plate it would interfere with you belt system.

Tor'dola Magnus

• Nothing runs... like my Bounty
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2013, 04:39 PM »
I like this a lot.  Another thing pulling me toward a legacy build after my modern.

Oyacyir de balac, kar'taylir darasuum de gaanader, kyr'amur de bora
"LIVE by chance... LOVE by Choice... KILL by Profession"

E.M.T.S. #083
MAD:036
M.A. #098

ForceHunter WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63712.0

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2013, 04:40 PM »
plus if you added another of those pointy ab sections it might hurt when you sit. :x

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #19 on: Sep 13, 2013, 08:50 PM »
plus if you added another of those pointy ab sections it might hurt when you sit. :x
Ugh, that's a painful thought...

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Sep 14, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Looking really nice so far man!

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Looking really nice so far man!
Thanks!  On another note, we "sat tested" the kit today without any major shebs mishaps... XD

Also, I've elected to go with the shortened backplate and a large suede cape.  At a certain point, I gave up on the idea this kit would be light...

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2013, 11:13 PM »
Update!  Banged out a couple of shoulder bells...

Looks like a decent fit; I wasn't going for anything overly large.

And here we sit!  I plan on getting the other shin plate done sometime this week.  Or, novel idea, should I go for something asymmetrical, maybe a Jango-style shin?  What do you guys think?

Vhett Naast

« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2013, 11:58 PM »
Looking good  8)  I'd do the other shin the same as the one you have done now.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2013, 10:56 PM »
My shin has a friend!

Also, I've finally come up with an acceptable design scheme...  To be posted tomorrow, seeing as how I forgot it at work.  C'est la vie.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!