Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Facial "tattoo"

• 9 Replies

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 100 official invasions.
Facial "tattoo"
« on: Sep 01, 2013, 05:09 PM »
Hey all, I need a little assistance...

I want to do a facial tattoo for my mando (a carry over from his heady days as a Republic Commando) & am wondering if anyone could suggest a makeup that will withstand sweat & the removal of my helmet. I'm not planning anything very elaborate (the number 33 in mando'a covering my right eye), but is there a way I could make a template that would ensure consistent & accurate application each time?

Thanx in advance for any tips!!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Manbrolorian

• TI-11997
Re: Facial "tattoo"
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Henna tattoos are a good, temporary skin dye. As long as you don't mind having a slightly faded Mando'a 33 on your face for a couple of days after a con, it can be faded down pretty easily with a couple of good scrubbings.

Of course, there are better options to henna. I'm sure some of the makeup gurus will chime in, in a little bit.

he/him
black lives matter!

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Seugtai seems to have something that stays on pretty well during trooping...

I summon thee, seugtai, reveal your secrets!

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Talev

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2013, 11:06 AM »
There is professional make up that is alcohol activated. Takes A LOT of rubbing (or some alcohol) to get it off, but it goes without stains - so you're good to go to work on monday again ;).

I can recommend Kryolan. Not the cheapest, but it's high quality.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2013, 08:05 AM »
^Yeah an alcohol based face/body paint would be best. That's what I have been meaning to get...
Currently I use a waterproof liquid eye liner pen, works great everywhere except my forehead due to my helmet rubbing.

Is it going to completely cover your eye area? That's the tricky part with a template because the area you plan to use it on isn't flat. You could go with a template but, if it has to curve a lot you may get some line bleeding.

Naasad Tal

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2013, 08:32 AM »
basically the top part of it will be above my eye brow & the bottom "legs" will be on my cheekbone. There will be a gap in the tattoo where my eye is.

I tried using a cheap thatrical mask (similar to a phantom of the opera mask) for my template, but it doesnt sit close enough to my face for it to work properly

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2013, 02:25 PM »
I have made templates for airbrushing out of transparency paper and those plastic page dividers for binders.
I would just do two separate templates, one of the top half of the numbers and one of the bottom half. Then you can just apply them separately and you should be good to go. ;)

Naasad Tal

« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2013, 02:54 PM »
That's PERFECT! I wouldn'ta thought about using Transparency...thank you!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan

BedlamX

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2013, 03:24 PM »
If you really want it to stay and don't want to have to redo it every time, you can do what I did for my vampire hunter...make it out of mask latex.

I made the cross for my eye out of that and used my standard Beta Bond to glue it on. It's thicker than a tattoo due to me wanting the 3d effect, but it could easily be done much thinner (RD407 mask latex is some phenomenal stuff and tough even when thin). Glue it on...peel it off and store it when done...use it again next time. I use simple black makeup around my eye to make mine go all the way over it.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Naasad Tal

« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Hmmmm that's an awesome idea. It would negate the need for a template & make application a lot easier

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!