Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

"Droids" variant of Boba Fett - Beginning Work

• 48 Replies

Mithras

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
"Droids" variant of Boba Fett - Beginning Work
« on: Sep 11, 2013, 05:25 AM »
Hello, everyone -

For some time, I have wanted to build a Boba. However, there have been many obstacles to that process. In addition, I wanted to do something "slightly different" with Boba than is usually done. I have decided to begin work on a "Droids" Boba Fett. After discussing the project with my local Clan, there seems to be enough support to give it a go, and I hope, perhaps, to build it to an approvable standard.
I have done a great deal of research on the project over the last several months, and I'll be glad to share what I find here, particularly if it strengthens my case any, and even better, if it perhaps inspires interest in the more obscure Fett builds.

I assume this is the right place to post this kind of stuff. I apologize if not; please feel free to move this thread if it would be better placed elsewhere.

The "Droids" Boba Fett appeared between 1985 and 1986 in at least three episodes of the "Droids" animated series, which takes place in the roughly 13 to 15 years between Episode III and Episode IV. The armor, while nominally similar to the armor in "The Star Wars Holiday Special," is different in many respects, particularly in terms of color. In addition, the "Droids" version of Boba carries the weapons that he will later be seen carrying in "The Empire Strikes Back" - notably the EE-11 Carbine (minus a sling, so far as I can tell) and the K-5 Disentegrator pistol.

Why choose the "Droids" Boba? I did seriously consider the "Holiday Special" Boba, but the references for Droids are more consistent, and on a personal note, while "Droids" was no masterpiece, it was a darn site better than "The Holiday Special."

So, that said, I tried to find an appropriate color reference for this version of Boba. While "Droids" has been slightly better preserved than the "Star Wars Holiday Special," the images that have survived are still not the highest of quality. The best reference we have is actually something that appears in several places, a cardback proof for the action figure that was released when Kenner did a line of "Droids" repaints during the late 1980s. Oddly enough, the "Droids" action figure for Boba was just a standard ESB era Boba, with no repaint, and was not particularly accurate for Droids (or for ESB, in general.)

Here's the image I'm speaking of:

So, before we get into colors, which I'll cover in the next post, the first step was to determine in what ways this Boba differs from his film canon incarnations in terms of armor style and design. This involved looking at screenshots, and cross comparing them to the artwork for the cardback. A few bits that may interest some of you.

1. There is no Chest Diamond, and the pectoral and abdominal plates are quite closely spaced.

As with "The Holiday Special" (THS) version of Boba, there is no chest diamond with the Droids Boba, and furthermore, the armor plates are quite closely spaced - almost touching but "not quite" - probably just enough to be flexible, if we were to imagine this as a real life piece.

2. The Bracers/Gauntlets are highly simplified.

Although Boba is theoretically wearing the same style Gauntlets that he does in later incarnations, the Gauntlets here are quite simple and devoid of extraneous greeblies and weapons systems. The right gauntlet is little more than the slanted structure seen on the standard right hand Fett gauntlet, with no other detail. The left gauntlet is essentially a platform mounting the rocket pod seen in other versions of Fett. There are no hoses, there is no flamethrower, etc. While we do see that Fett can fire a Whipchord from a projector on the bottom of his right gauntlet in THS, this is not immediately apparent in any other scene from that program, nor does it appear to be visible as a distinct weapons system at any stage during the Droids cartoon (i.e. when he fires it, if he fires it at all, we simply see it being fired from the bottom of his gauntlet. There's no "hole" or mounting system to indicate its presence.)

3. There are no knee darts and no shin tools.

While Droids Boba wears his standard style knee guards in this version, there are four indentations on each knee, with no indication of any knee dart launcher or housing. In addition, Boba wears no shin tools.

4. The flight suit is a basic design, with no visually distinct vest, and no double sleeves. Pockets? Hard to say.

I have assumed that Boba actually does have some sort of vest beneath there, if for nothing else than practicality's sake, but I assume it's the same color as the rest of the flight suit. More importantly, however, there are no double sleeves.

Further, the costume seems to lack Boba pouches or the distinctive thigh pockets that are seen in film canon versions. There is some indication, in another surviving screenshot (seen below) that the LEFT leg may have some sort of pocket. Extrapolation leads one to conclude that, due to the slight gathering on the left leg in the cardback seen here, there may actually be at least ONE pocket, on the left thigh. But there is no indication of a pocket on the right, and that gathering could easily be explained as stance or artists convention rather than hard evidence.

My current thought is that the Droids version of the Boba Flight suit should be built in one of two ways:

- With either ONE thigh pocket on the left leg
- With no thigh pockets whatsoever

5. Boba has no girth belt or ammo belt.

There is a complete lack of girth and ammo belt in this version of Boba. However, I would argue that, since there is a holster present, one could justify the presence of a small number of ammunition pouches (as in some of the early Pre-Production versions)  and, for the sake of tying everything together, a cloth girthbelt rather than his traditional protector style belt, which would cover any unsightly gap. I would argue that the girthbelt, since we don't see direct evidence thereof, would once again be of a similar if not identical color to that of his flightsuit and vest.

6. Boba's Boots are medium length, and go up to mid point on the shin.

Unlike later versions, Boba's boots in this version are a higher, mid-shin length boot, probably canvas, like those we see in the films. The toe spikes are quite clearly present, however.

7. Boba has little, if any weathering or damage in "Droids."

While THS included the "Boba Dent" in his helmet (quite prominently, at times), there was no further weathering in that version, aside from a tattered cape. This leads me to conclude that weathering on this version of Boba should be relatively light. It should be present (we just can't have a totally clean Boba) but one should be quite conservative when doing so.

I would argue that one could have the ever-present "Boba Dent", and perhaps some scuffing in a contrasting color on pieces of the armor, in addition, to, perhaps, a dark wash on the armor and some dirtying of the flight suit, but this would be light to medium weathering and damage at best, NOT the extensive damage we see later. I would further argue that the Boba dent, while present, should not be highlighted in any other way.

There should be no other "Boba" damage if one is to do this properly. No dented cod, no blast marks on the abdominal plate, etc.  I think the cape should be relatively intact, with very little tattering (if any), though I could see some justifiable dirt.

8. There are no cape studs, and no visible back plate or butt plate.

I would argue that the cape studs should not be present, since they are clearly not there, but one could do this with or without a backplate (the early Super Trooper suits lacked backplates entirely). The buttplate is another matter I'm just not sure about. We never see it in the series. Is it present? Maybe. Is it absolutely necessary? Hard to say, but tempting to say, "out of sight, out of mind."

These are my initial impressions, and have formed the basis of the plans I have in mind. I've only included bits that aren't seen here (the addition of a cloth girth belt and vest, the presence of some ammo pouches, light weathering) because I feel they'd be appropriate in attempting to bring this into the third dimension. If you think I should leave such details alone, then by all means, let me know - it would mean less work for me in the long run. I simply think they would add to the overall impression, rather than detract from it.

I'll post more information tomorrow, considering colors and my attempts to properly identify them.

At any rate, I hope this is of interest to some of you. I welcome your thoughts and opinions!

-Alex

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2013, 05:29 AM by Mithras » Logged
I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: "Droids" variant of Boba Fett - Beginning Work
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2013, 05:48 AM »
Great idea, looks like you've done some solid planning.

I've bookmarked this and am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2013, 02:53 PM »
awesome plan. i love seeing pre-production/concept/alternate media versions of characters. i cant wait to see how this build unfolds

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Tor'dola Magnus

• Nothing runs... like my Bounty
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2013, 03:16 PM »
I'm digging this

Oyacyir de balac, kar'taylir darasuum de gaanader, kyr'amur de bora
"LIVE by chance... LOVE by Choice... KILL by Profession"

E.M.T.S. #083
MAD:036
M.A. #098

ForceHunter WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63712.0

Mithras

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Thank you all for the support. Means a lot.:) Please continue to follow. Comments, questions, etc... are more than welcome.

So, we've looked at the basic differences between the armor worn by Mr. Fett in "Droids"; now, let's take a look at the armor.
Again, I've used the following image as my primary source material:

Trying to determine the actual colors was a bit of a bear at first until I had a "Eureka" moment and realized that I could do this fairly simply, by using "The Gimp" (a free graphics/photo editor program available for download online) and using its color sample tool to determine the HTML Hex codes for the colors as used in the illustration. The trick was sampling from the darkest/richest area of color and trying to avoid areas that had been overly highlighted by the artist. Generally, when trying to determine an accurate color, I've found in other projects that it is better err on the side of "darker color" than lighter color. This is particularly true of military vehicles, and shouldn't differ that much for futuristic battle armor. After all, the lighter areas are going to be areas where the surface of a vehicle/piece of armor has been exposed to the sun and elements, weathered to a lighter shade, etc.

A good rule to follow is this: colors either fade, or they oxidize, changing the color entirely, but they do not, in the vast majority of instances get "darker" with wear or exposure to the elements. (Not taking into account things like oil stains and dirt, which are fairly easy to separate from a color anyway.)

The end result was this image, which I made with the current version Mando Maker, keeping in mind that Mando Maker does not have a great deal of  flexibility in regards to armor style, and that some options (wookiee braids/padawan scalps, tattered cloaks, etc.) are simply not available.

By way of comparison, for those interested, here's a color sample from Boba Fett as seen in THS. As you can see, there is -definitely- a difference in color.

At any rate, once I had sampled colors and created the first of the above Mando Maker images, I determined that the following colors were accurate, as far as HTML codes/color types are concerned.

Body Suit/Cloth Girth Belt/Neckseal/Vest: A very light blue grey. (EDECF1) This has proven problematic, so far. I've been trying to source a flight suit or racing suit in this color, but so far, no luck. I'd like to avoid having to dye something, but it may be the only solution, when all is said and done. (If anybody has a source, I'd love to hear about it. Much less work for me!)

Gloves: A very light grey. (F1F0FE)

Boots, Helmet: The main body of the boots (not the lighter colored strip in the center) and the helmet are essentially the same color, a medium blue grey (almost a Falschirmjaeger blue). The helmet has got some significant black lining. The visor is black. (98A8C2) Obviously, the real materials are going to take color differently - and the canvas boots will end up being a different color than the helmet, but they should, at least, be similar in color/hue.

Gauntlets/Bracers: Although visually quite similar to the helmet and boots in terms of color, in truth they are a slightly different shade. I don't think one would be out of line in simply using the same color as is used in the boots/helmet, but for the sake of complete purity of color replication, they are 98A8C2.

Shoulder Armor and Collar Pieces: These are a dark grey blue, rather than a purple, as is sometimes interpreted. (6F656D) That said, one could probably find a shade of purple that is close enough to work, for all intents and purposes.

Body Armor and Knees: A medium yellow, or ochre yellow. I say "ochre yellow" because in the primary source illustration, the pectorals and ab have a slightly brownish tinge to them. This could be fairly easily accomplished with a wash. The base color, however, is FFD88B.

Cape: The main body of the cape is an orangey red (C83300). The bottom stripe (not seen here) is a true orange (FB7401).

Wookiee Braids: These are not seen, but according to the samples I took, would seem to fall in the reddish brown spectrum.

Holster Belt/Ammo Pouches: The holster belt is a leather brown. Assuming we add ammo pouches to make this slightly more appropriate and in line with every other Fett costume, we can then assume that the pouches are going to be roughly the same shade. The holster itself is a Nemrod style holster, as worn in ESB, but lacks any logo/number tooling.

Jet Pack: The colors used in Droids for the Jet pack make it clear that the color scheme for the Jetpack is QUITE similar to the color scheme used for the jetpack in THS.  Therefore, we can do a bit of guessing with extrapolation and basic logic. In THS, the main body of the pack, and the warhead of the rocket, are identical in color to the color of Fett's pectorals and ab plate, with the exception that the "shaft" of the rocket body is white. The jet nozzles, meanwhile, are a light grey (which I assume is meant to represent a gunmetal grey color. You can't paint a jet engine and expect it to keep its color for more than a few seconds after you fire those puppies up.) Using that as a base model, then, in Droids the main body and rocket pack are the same color yellow as the chest armor and knees (FFD88B). I would guess, since I don't see any hint of white in the jetpack bits seen on the cardback, that the shaft could be white OR the standard yellow shade used elsewhere (FFD88B). Jets themselves are a standard silver, or perhaps light grey. There two "domes" on each side of the jetpack. In "THS" these match the color used on Fett's helmet. So, I've done the same here. The color of the jet pack domes should be 98A8C2.

Chest Lights: Only one slit here, and it is black in every rendering from Droids and THS. I would think this could best be represented with a piece of shiny black plastic, or opaque black/smoke colored plastic if one could find it. If you wanted to get fancy and depict Fett's serial number with chest LEDs, I'd think a white LED display would be best.

So, now, we've got a very rough road map for the colors used in the actual costume!

-Alex

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2013, 10:29 PM »
All the planning you are putting into this is awesome man! What you've got all looks good to me and I can't wait to see it come together :)

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2013, 11:00 PM »
Bookmarked :D
Can't wait to see this finished!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2013, 11:01 PM »
Nice! I love to see a good Fett build! Get it going :)

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Mithras

« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2013, 01:23 AM »
Thanks, guys. Glad to have so much support. Very encouraging:)

Just a brief update on a couple of other details.

Thigh Pockets:

I think I'm fairly convinced that this version of Boba should have one (1) Thigh Pocket on the left leg, and no thigh pocket on the right. Minor distinction, granted, but now that I've seen it, I can't "unsee" it. Were I writing a CRL, I might make it optional, but for myself, I'm thinking it's looking like a good detail to incorporate.

Cape:

Have just realized after staring at this thing forever that Boba's cape in Droids is a -full- cape, not one of those shelter half/poncho/Late Roman or Saxon style capes. That means that the jetpack is worn over the cape, and it also argues that a back plate may not be necessary, particularly since that might place too much weight on the costume. Still working this out (ie: how do you wear a jetpack over a full cape...?) But it's worth a thought.

Still debating whether those Knee darts should be present or not. However, since I don't see them - only divots - I'm going to err on the side of there being perforations, but no projectiles there for the moment. Willing to be convinced otherwise.

-Alex

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2013, 08:10 AM »
I did some digging and although I think it would be cool to have a Canon Fett with only one thigh pouch it seems that all the images in the episode "A Race to the Finish" which seems to be the only episode that features Mr. Fett show him with two thigh pouches.

The back plate is a hard one to nail down,  would say that you should include it as all Canon Fett's have one.

As for the cape I would say that it is not a full cape, please refer the images below.

Sorry about the poor quality of these images, these are all from Droids episode 4; A Race to the Finish

The things that are most striking to my eyes are;
1. The size of his collar piece it covers his entire shoulders
2. The shape of his visor more V than T
3. The lack of a chest diamond
4. The two rectangular designs on his chest.

Hope this helps

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2013, 02:09 PM »
This is going to be cool ;) do go on

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2013, 03:13 PM »
What the big orange thing on the right?  :laugh: Nice concept mate ;)

Mithras

« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2013, 03:12 AM »
Thanks much for the help, Vod.

See my comments below.

>>I did some digging and although I think it would be cool to have a Canon Fett with only one thigh pouch it seems that all the images in the episode "A Race to the Finish" which seems to be the only episode that features Mr. Fett show him with two thigh pouches.

He was actually in three episodes, according to the sources I've seen, but cuts from 'A Race to the Finish' seem to be the only ones available on line! However, you have confirmed the appearance of two thigh pouches, however, which is fine by me. They aren't terribly difficult to fabricate.

>>The back plate is a hard one to nail down,  would say that you should include it as all Canon Fett's have one.
Fair enough! However, Super Trooper V1 does lack a Back Plate. That said, I'm not sure he's considered to be a "Canon" Fett.

>>As for the cape I would say that it is not a full cape, please refer the images below.
I do think that your images help to clarify this bit. The card back makes it seem as if he's wearing a full cape, but it's fairly clear that this is, in fact, a half cape, standard Boba style, which makes things a little easier to figure out with regards to the proper jetpack arrangement.

>>Sorry about the poor quality of these images, these are all from Droids episode 4; A Race to the Finish

No need to apologize. I'm thrilled you found more images! They are hard to come by, even with the release of the DVDs about seven years ago. The show was simply not well preserved. Not as badly preserved as THS, but not exactly top quality stuff.

>>The things that are most striking to my eyes are;
>>1. The size of his collar piece it covers his entire shoulders

I think this may be an animation convention rather than a matter of practicality. Willing to be wrong on this, of course. Alternatively, one could recreate that effect with a standard Boba collar by painting the upper areas of the pectorals with the same color, so that they blend into the color, which would make things a bit more flexible and useful in a "real life" build of the armor.

>>2. The shape of his visor more V than T

Again, I think this may be an illustration style. I think it's a standard T-Visor, simply drawn at an odd angle.

>>3. The lack of a chest diamond

Definitely an interesting bit. THS Fett lacks this as well.

>>4. The two rectangular designs on his chest.

Unusual indentations, to say the least. I'm not sure what they're supposed to represent, if it is indeed indentations at all. They are shown on and off in THS cut scenes, too. Strange that they don't appear on the card back. Upon further investigation, they appear quite shallow, and I wonder if they couldn't be recreated with very basic geometrical patterns. I know that they could be interpreted as indentations, but I'm just not sure. If they are, they're quite shallow. The pieces might be able to be recreated, if as indentations, by cutting out sections and then attaching them again just below the upper. Dunno, just throwing out ideas there.

One other thing that I noticed.

Boba is most definitely wearing an ammunition belt in the images you found. It's got fewer pouches than the one in THS but otherwise matches the color of the cod/shoulder armor, which is the same convention as used in THS, and interestingly, matches the pouch arrangement for some of the Pre-Pros I've seen. That's a good thing. Gives more material to be worn in that area and makes it more aesthetically pleasing.

>>Hope this helps

Absolutely. A huge help, thanks!

-M.

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2013, 03:17 AM by Mithras » Logged
I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Mithras

« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2013, 03:14 AM »
What the big orange thing on the right?  :laugh: Nice concept mate ;)

HAH! Yes. I've noticed that a few times and had to bite my tongue on it. For those who are genuinely curious, the top area was for placement of a Droids collector coin (Kenner was big into character coins at the time), and the bottom area was for the figure blister. I'm not sure if the production examples of the cards had collector coins or not.

-Alex

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2013, 04:55 AM »
http://www.bobafettfanclub.com/multimedia/galleries/albums/userpics/10017/boba_fett.jpg

It did but it was just a straight repack of the standard Fett figure at the time.

Mithras

« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2013, 02:27 AM »
Status Update #1 -

I have located (well, rather, Boudicca has located) a set of scrubs in the proper color for conversion into the Droids Boba flight suit. That will be a good basis to build upon. She's fairly confident she can add long sleeves and the two Thigh Pockets.

Provisionally, this is what I'm thinking the costume should consist of. This is in no way, shape or form official; it's merely the basic "CRL" structure I'm trying to limit myself to working with, in order to to proceed, based upon my observations and those of other individuals here.

"Droids" Style Boba Fett

All components may have light to moderate weathering. Extensive damage to the armor should be avoided. There are no details or graphic markings of ANY kind on the "Droids" style armor. (No Mythosaur Skull, no Fett Clan sigil etc.)

1. Armor:

The "Droids" Style Boba Fett consists of the following armor pieces:
  A) Boba Fett style Mandalorian Helmet

-The Helmet should be painted in a medium blue grey color , and be equipped with an opaque black T-Visor. The RF and stalk should be painted White.

Options:
Helmet dent is optional, but if present, should be painted overall in the same color as the rest of the helmet (ie: no exposed bare metal.)
Drybrushing with a lighter color is acceptable.

B) "Droids" Style Pectoral and Abdominal Plates painted in a Medium Yellow or Yellow Ochre.

-  Pectoral Plates should each be decorated with a slightly indented "reverse d" style configuration oriented near the edge closest to the opposite Pectoral Plate, as depicted in illustrations of the character.

- The Left Pectoral Plate should have one "Chest Light" indentation. There is only one "chest light" bar on the Droids Boba. Not two.

- The plates should be mounted very closely together - close enough that they almost appear to be one piece, but far enough apart to allow visibility. There should be no more than 1/2" spacing between each plate.

Options:
The Left Pectoral plate "Chest Light" may feature an opaque, black lens. There should be no functional electronics behind the lens, as no such lights are seen in "Droids."

C) "Droids" Style Neck and Shoulder Armor
- These should be painted in a medium slate grey with a very slightly purplish tinge or a very dark, almost grey, purple.

- The Neck armor does not have any "cape studs" and is a simple, undecorated plate with no embellishments.

D) "Droids" Style Cod/Groin Plate
- The Groin/Cod Armor is similar to that found in other Boba costumes, and is painted in a color identical to that used for the shoulder and neck armor.

Options:
- Although it is not depicted, a kidney/butt plate should be used.  There are no visible connector studs if indeed a kidney/butt plate is present, and so use of these should be avoided.

E) Standard "Boba" style Back Plate
- The standard Boba style Back Plate should be used. It should be painted in a color identical to that used for the Neck and Shoulder armor. The backplate should include "Jetpack slots."

F) "Droids" Style Boba Knees
- These are similar to the standard Boba knees, but lack side mounted knee dart launchers. Each knee is painted in the same Medium Yellow color as that of the Pectorals/Abdominal armor and features four slight, but noticeable indentations, highlighted in black, two on each side of the knee.

G) Droids Style Boba Bracers/Gauntlets
- These are extremely simplified versions of the standard Boba gauntlets, and should be painted in a shade that is just slightly lighter than the color used for the helmet.

- The RIGHT gauntlet is quite plain and features a single, raised rectangular surface mounted roughly center of the gauntlet. The basic housing found on standard style right handed Fett gauntlets may be used, or a simple box like structure may be included. There are no hoses, greeblies, or extraneous details of any kind.

- The LEFT gauntlet features only the Rocket Pod on its mounting. The Rocket Pod has a Silver or White warhead, and is otherwise identical in color to the rest of the gauntlet. Either the standard Rocket Pod mounting or a very basic rectangular mounting may be used, but there are no other extraneous greeblies, decorations, etc. There is no flamethrower, nor are there any other "side mounted tools", hoses, tubes, etc.

H) ESB Style Jetpack mounted in any of the accepted standards, and worn over the back plate. Painted as follows:
- The main body and each side dome should be painted a Medium Yellow shade identical to the shade used for the Abdominal, Knee, and Pectoral Armor.
- The "shaft" of the Rocket should be painted white.
- The sides of the Jetpack should be painted in a color matching that used on the helmet.
- Repulsor jets on the Jetpack may be painted in a dark grey, silver, or gunmetal grey color.

Options:
Because they are shown in both colors, the "side domes" may be painted in a color that matches the shade used to paint the Helmet.

2. Soft Parts

A) "Droids" Style Flightsuit and Vest

- This is a simplified version of the standard Mandalorian Flightsuit in a very light blue grey color, as shown in the program. It may be worn in one or two pieces. There are no double sleeves. The legs of the "Droids" Flightsuit each feature a Thigh Pocket. The Thigh Pocket should be filled with styrofoam blocks or other appropriate pieces to make them appear full, in standard Boba style. Note that there are NO shin tools, or shin tool pockets.

- The Flightsuit should be worn with a Vest that matches the shade of the Flightsuit as CLOSELY as possible, and if weathered, weathering should match the Flightsuit in a similar manner.

- The Flightsuit or Vest should have a Neckseal. This Neckseal is identical in color to the two pieces, and should be attached to either the Flightsuit or the Vest.  No skin should be visible at any time.

Options:
- Although not required , a cloth girthbelt matching the color of the codpiece as much as possible is STRONGLY recommended.
- Although not required, a standard white or light grey Balaclava is STRONGLY recommended.

B) "Droids" Style Gloves:
- Simplified gloves in a single shade matching the color of the Flightsuit as closely as possible, or alternatively in a very light grey. Unlike other "Fett" style gloves, these do not have distinctly separated colors for the palm and fingers of the gloves.

C) "Droids" style Cloak:

- This is worn on the LEFT side of Boba's backplate, as with standard Boba Fett cloaks. It should be a red-orange color, with a pure orange stripe along the bottom. The cloak may be dirtied and weathered to show age, but should NOT be tattered, torn, or otherwise damaged. Because of a lack of shoulder studs, the cloak should be attached with snaps or magnets.

D) "Droids" style Shoes:

- These are standard canvas "Fett" shoes, with the exception that they are mid-shin length. The main body of the shoe should match the color of the Gauntlets as closely as possible, with a center panel in a slightly lighter shade. The soles of the shoes have silver or gunmetal grey "toe spikes" mounted to the front, and are White or Light Blue Grey in color. Shoes may be dirtied or weathered as appropriate to the look being attempted. If White is chosen, it should not be a clean, spotless shade thereof, but should have some dirt and wear to show use.

E) "Droids" Style Ammunition Belt:

-This is a simple ammunition belt, worn with two pouches, one on either hip. Both the pouches and the belt should match the shade of the codpiece as closely as possible.

F) "Droids" Style Holster:

-This is a brown leather holster worn slung from left to right and resting against the right hip. It carries a "Nemrod" style holster. The holster may be a reproduction and need not include the "logo" tooling found in ESB Fett sidearm holsters.

G) "Droids" Style Wookiee/Padawan/Jedi Scalps/Braids:

-These are a reddish brown color and are worn on the right side of the torso, as with the braids seen in other versions of Boba.

Weapons:

A) A Sacross K-11 "Disentegrator" Pistol is carried in the Nemrod style holster worn on the right hip. This may match the style used in ESB or in The Star Wars Holiday Special. Colors should match the example used.

Options:
- In some depictions, "Droids" Boba carries an ESB style EE-11 Carbine. If used, this may be painted in ESB colors or in a light, gunmetal grey as shown on the cardback fo the "Droids" action figure of Boba. No sling is used in either case.

At any rate, hope that is useful, and somewhat complete. Enough to show that I've done my homework here. Hope to get started soon, assuming there's some interest and time!

-Alex

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2013, 02:35 AM by Mithras » Logged
I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Boudicca

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2013, 02:43 AM »
Status Update #1 -

I have located (well, rather, Boudicca has located) a set of scrubs in the proper color for conversion into the Droids Boba flight suit. That will be a good basis to build upon. She's fairly confident she can add long sleeves and the two Thigh Pockets.

FYI here are the scrubs I found that appear to be an almost perfect light blue gray.  The plan is to buy 2 pairs of the pants, and tear up the second and use the fabric to make long sleeves to replace the short sleeves on the top, and to make the pockets for the pants.  The seam in the middle would be hidden by the belt or girth belt/sash. 

http://healthcaresupplypros.com/site-search?q=angelstat+scrubs+misty&sa=Search

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2013, 02:38 PM »
 :o now that is what i call a plan! ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Tor'dola Magnus

• Nothing runs... like my Bounty
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2013, 06:02 PM »
:o now that is what i call a plan! ;)

This.  Now start your build!  ;D

Oyacyir de balac, kar'taylir darasuum de gaanader, kyr'amur de bora
"LIVE by chance... LOVE by Choice... KILL by Profession"

E.M.T.S. #083
MAD:036
M.A. #098

ForceHunter WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63712.0

Mithras

« Reply #19 on: Sep 15, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Aww shucks;) Will start ASAP.

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Barbarossa Kad

• Keeper of the Boomstick
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2013, 10:33 PM »
Just my two cents. I've never seen the Droids cartoon but in that last pic from the show it kinda looks to me like a arena style jetpack, but away I can't wait to see this come together.

There is a method to my madness.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Willy Wonka

Mithras

« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2013, 12:47 AM »
Just my two cents. I've never seen the Droids cartoon but in that last pic from the show it kinda looks to me like a arena style jetpack, but away I can't wait to see this come together.

Kad -

That's a very valid point, and I caught that too (good eye!) but in every other scene he's wearing the standard "rocket" mounted jetpack. If anything, I suppose it could be said to be a valid option!

-Alex

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2013, 01:05 AM »
I've never seen the show myself but from the looks of it I may not need to see it and just cast you in a live-action version. Lol. You really went in depth with this and I  can't wait to see some progress!

Eerbes Semaj

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #23 on: Sep 16, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Yes I will be helping on this build, even if in a minor part, but I am excited to be a part of it.

Mithras

« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2013, 02:05 AM »
9/21/13 Update: Colors Acquired

On Tuesday, after a lot of searching, I acquired the paint colors that I believe will be most appropriate for the costume. Generally speaking, unless I'm doing detail work, I do prefer to use sprays on costume pieces (as I'm sure most of you do). The problem, of course, is making sure that the paint is high quality and that it mixes well with the other brands you've chosen if you find yourself needing different shades put out by different manufacturers.

With the exception of Primer, or the occasional gloss color (which is getting hard to find in any good quality at the typical Hardware Store anyway), I usually get my paints at Hobby Stores. Mostly stores that specialize in miniatures games and board games, since most of the colors designed for use in painting miniatures are very high quality and are much more appropriate for military colors than your typical "model shop" colors (which are better for cars or very glossy armor that you usually don't see Mandalorians wearing.)

I don't typically use an airbrush. Have never been too handy with them, so when I paint miniatures, for example, I freehand my camo patterns, weathering, etc. As such, if I can find the right color in a spray can/rattle can for bigger pieces like costumes, so much the better.

So, anyway, here's what I found, with notes where appropriate on the brand.

Initial Coat: Army Painter Platemail Metal. Although the weathering on the Droids Fett is light to moderate, and Army Painter is in fact also a primer, I find that this makes an excellent base coat for typical Mandalorian armor pieces. It's a good color to weather down to using a variety of methods, as it's the color of armor rather than an overly silver/decorative shade. I may avoid the coat on my helmet if the helmet is cold cast (working on acquiring a helmet now), since  the metallic undercoat wouldn't be necessary for any damage/weathering purposes.

Pectoral Plates/Abdominal Plate/Knee Guards: Army Painter Desert Yellow. A very close match to the brownish yellow (yellow ochre) found with the Droids Fett. I suspect that the right formulation of Afrika Mustard (also called Africa Yellow in some ranges) or Dunkelgelbe could also work, but I'd strongly recommend examining the colors in person before you commit to them, since everybody seems to interpret military shades like these differently.

Army Painter Notes: Generally good quality, and has the advantage of being a primer, so you don't need a primer coat. Goes on very easily, and smoothly. Some colors can be adversely affected by high humidity, so I recommend a practice coat on a piece of target material so that you make certain it will go on properly. Also helps to test the spray nozzle, since some of these have been shipping lately with loose or broken nozzles; better to have it spray and splatter on a drop cloth or test piece than your actual armor! Army Painter comes in large cans - I've found that two are enough to do a typical set of Mando Armor, plus helmet and accessories (such as jetpacks), with a little left over. Army Painter also does bottles of touch up paint, which is helpful if you're afraid of slopping colors or not getting your lines straight enough (this can usually be covered over with careful weathering, but hey, it's good to have the option if you really screw up and you don't want to over spray an area.)

Note that Army Painter doesn't always "like" other colors. It goes on well enough over automotive primer and usually works with other color sprays for miniatures (such as the "Flames of War" range), but it does not mix well with Rustoleum, particularly, I've recently discovered, on 3d Printed Plastic, or in humid conditions. Always test different brands and how they mix before you attempt to put them on your shiny new armor!

Neck Armor (Clavicle Piece)/Shoulder Bells/Cod: Tamiya Color for Aircraft "Grey Violet" (AS-4). This is just about perfect to represent the dark purplish grey shown in Droids. It's actually a color that was developed during the First World War by the Austro-Hungarian Airforce and later used by the WW2 German Luftwaffe, but that's probably not important to you: what is important is that it's just about a perfect match for what we're looking for! 

Helmet and Gauntlets (aside from the RF, which is simply white): Tamiya Color for Aircraft "Intermediate Blue" (US Navy) AS-19. Used for the decks of late WW2 US Navy Warships, and on US Navy Aircraft from about 1938-39 onward. Another good quality spray. This will do very well for the color of both the helmet and the gauntlets. Since the gauntlets are just a hair (and I mean a fractional amount) lighter, the best way to show the very slight contrast is to black line the helmet (that is, to paint the lines and crevices black, using either a wash, a brush, or a high quality permanent ink or paint pen.) One could probably also do a very light drybrush of white on the gauntlets to bring them out just ever so slightly, but that's something we'll cover when I consider how best to weather the armor.

Notes on Tamiya Sprays:  Tamiya is mainly made for scale modellers, but wargamers use it too, so there are several very good, very unusual shades here. (Like Grey Violet). Strongly recommend that you use Tamiya whenever possible over the Testors Line. The extra cost is worth it, in the vast majority of cases. Like Army Painter, Tamiya makes touch up paints, another good thing. You'll want the touch up paints from their Acrylic lines.

Tamiya Colors are quite good, and go on smoothly, but they come in much smaller cans, so I've purchased three of each. I suspect that will be enough, but I'm not certain. I may end up having to pick up a couple more of each. We'll see what happens when I get to paint.

There you have it. All we have left is White, which can be sourced from any of a variety of places. The other stuff? Well, it's all cloth and leather based. The main trick is going to be figuring out how to do the ammo belt and pouches. I may end up spraying them or looking for an appropriate dye (though non brown/black dyes for leather are getting very hard to find, these days.)

More info as soon as I get more done!

-Alex

I TAN I EPI TAS

With it, or on it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!