Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vez's WIP

• 135 Replies

Vez Nau'ur

• Bibamus, moriendum est!
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Vez's WIP
« on: Sep 16, 2013, 06:33 PM »
Hi guys,

I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered before!

So I’ve been going through the forums but not all my answers are answered. So I’m working on planning my first armor (Modern era armor), and here is what I have understood up to now.

1. Research (Materials, soft parts, etc)
2. Sketch/design colour scheme (Online tool for colour scheme can help)
3. Gather materials (Flight suit, sintra, vest, etc)
4. Print out Jango armor template  and cut it out
5. Stick armor template on shirt, take picture and get feedback from community
6. Once template is approved, cut out pieces and mold them to fit your body. (??? How to do this, molds?)
7. Attach molded parts to vest (Velcro?)
8. Repeat step 5,6 and 7 for gauntlets, pants and boots.
9. Paint
10. Weathering
11. Finish with Bucket (seems to be the most complex part)
12. Build weaponry
13. ????
14. Verify that modern era approval guidelines and make adjustments if necessary
15. Apply for Mando Merc approval!

Feel free to either tell me to continue searching the forums or link me parts of the forums! ;)

Where I am very confused, is in step 6. How do I figure out what is the correct shape of the pieces? I saw someone on youtube use a plexiglass mold where he would heat up the sintra and just press the mold on it until the sintra cooled down. How do I go about making these molds, or is it just a fancy/advanced method for giving the shape to the sintra?

I also decided to go with sintra since it seems a lot of you recommended it to others, but what about the thickness? I got the impression that 3mm is fine and dandy.

Besides my confusion on point 6, am I on the right path? Sorry if this sounds redundant, as an engineer, I tend to really make sure my planning is good before starting anything ;)

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2013, 04:16 PM by vezril » Logged
Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vardamir

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: First Armor Planning Help
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2013, 07:48 PM »
a lot of people make a mold of their torso using duct tape then stuff it with rags, then they use the duct tape body to shape the plates, there is a tutorial on here somewhere instructing you how to do this but i cant find it at the mo, good luck with your build vod, it looks like you have done loadsa research, thats the best start you coulda made, and you can always ask questions :)

Vez Nau'ur

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2013, 10:04 PM »
These are some great answers! Thanks a lot guys! Once I'm done with my planning and Gantt chart, I'll make a WIP thread and start updating it.

Much appreciated!

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Another popular material is metal, though it is significantly harder to work with. You'd have to ask someone who has made a metal kit how to form it, though from my understanding there is a lot of banging on it with a hammer.
This.  Lots of this.  Not to mention throwing it in a table vise and leaning on it.  It's hardy work, but worth it for appearance and strength.

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2013, 10:37 AM »
This.  Lots of this.  Not to mention throwing it in a table vise and leaning on it.  It's hardy work, but worth it for appearance and strength.

I'll keep that in mind, but probably not for my first build. Once I'm more comfortable with the process I'll look into it, any specific material you would recommend for metal? I'm guessing aluminium or steel (For future reference for me).

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2013, 03:56 PM »
That looks like a great Plan vod ;) looks to me like everything is there ;)

Niabi top tip ;)

I would combine 9 and 10 ;)

so when painting do your weathering ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2013, 04:03 PM »
I was thinking the same actually! Building up my Gantt chart and design document so I'll clarify those steps in that.

I actually have an additional question, regarding the bucket. What would be a good method for making one for a first build? I don't see myself doing a fiberglass cast due to the lack of skillset and space (I live in a small apartment on the third floor).

Thanks in advance :)

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Well if you wont to scratch build then card is a good base but you have to fibreglass it to be used on your kit.

a scratch build can end up being the same price as a pre made one ;) (I recommend a Saz bucket)

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Great to know! I think for my first build I'll go the simple way and ask Saz (I do want to show off the my beskar by next years Comic Con) , but for future builds I'll try to develop the skillset required :)

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Its not as hard as it looks ;) BUT it can go wrong very badly very quickly  :laugh: (i speak from experience)   :-[

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2013, 09:48 PM »
I'll keep that in mind, but probably not for my first build. Once I'm more comfortable with the process I'll look into it, any specific material you would recommend for metal? I'm guessing aluminium or steel (For future reference for me).
My first kit was made from sintra, and it looked great.  My current project, however, is out of steel (16 ga for torso, back, and shoulders, 22 ga knees, 24 ga shins), and I find it relatively easy to work, mainly because it's more or less what I do for a living.  It can, as previously stated, go really wrong, really fast, so practice a bit first.

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Oya vod, any update of your kit? We are all waiting  ;D

Let me know if you need anything.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Saturday I'll post an update, it's when I'll be working on it! School has kept me busy lately :)

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Hey guys!

So I know I was supposed to work on this on Saturday but I was overwhelmed with school work and I just got a brand new guitar.... it was mostly the guitars fault.

Anyways! Worked a bit on my bucket, but I didn't take any pictures of that. I will once I attach the ear pieces and prime it.

However I did put a coat of primer on my pieces that are cut. Tact told me I would spot any mistakes on the armour once I prime it and I think I see what he means, but I'm still new so I might have missed some subtleties. The mistakes that are really evident is on the back plate, on both shoulders and in the middle of the neck section, i.e. the places where I had to glue together after bending the armour. So I'll go ahead and continue with some sanding.

So here's the photobucket album, I took quite a lot of pictures which mostly are for documentation on my end but if anyone spots anything I'm all ears! :)

Photobucket: http://s835.photobucket.com/user/calvinference/library/Primer%201st%20drop

Oh and if you spot what looks like a finger smudge, I'm fully aware of those ;)

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2013, 02:16 PM »
Lots of Vode (me included) wont click non Mercs Links ;) This will help ;)  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=560.0

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2013, 10:56 PM »
Kinda forgot to repost with proper pictures, sorry! But I got an update! Finished painting my bucket. Still need to install the RF stalk and do some paint touchups here and there, but for now it looks like this :)

Comments and suggestions appreciated of course!

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2014, 10:13 PM by vezril » Logged
Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Wow

You've been busy, great job it's got a lot of damage  ;D

Two thing I'd recommend, first do a black/brown wash over the helmet to give it a worn/dirty look several thin coats are better than heavy coats, second I'm not a fan of gloss finishes so I would overspray it with a clear matte but that's just my taste.

Keep up the nice work.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Hey Tact!

I actually spoke to Droodles a bit and he recommended the same thing. Though I'll do some wet sanding to remove the gloss. I'll go get some acrylic paint on my way to class today, I'll post an update when I have one :)

Wow

You've been busy, great job it's got a lot of damage  ;D

Two thing I'd recommend, first do a black/brown wash over the helmet to give it a worn/dirty look several thin coats are better than heavy coats, second I'm not a fan of gloss finishes so I would overspray it with a clear matte but that's just my taste.

Keep up the nice work.

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Tact Kor

« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2013, 07:50 AM »
An alternative to wet sanding that will be less abrasive but will remove then shine is to rub it with 0000 steel wool.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2013, 01:40 PM »
Nice stuff vod ;)

I also recommend hitting the bucket with some light passes of sand paper to give them some "life lived" scratches before the black / brown wash ;D 

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2013, 01:43 PM »
Oops! I forgot to post my update!

Here we go, it looks much nicer now :)

Nice stuff vod ;)

I also recommend hitting the bucket with some light passes of sand paper to give them some "life lived" scratches before the black / brown wash ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2014, 10:13 PM by vezril » Logged
Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2013, 01:44 PM »
looks nice bud ;)

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Hey buddy!! Some nice work here!! Really glad to see this coming along so nicely!!

Kraton Jax

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Good work vod! It is really coming great :) I look forward to see the final results! :) by the way great planning list you had there ;)

Me: HK,you see I'm in love with a nice girl and I'm not sure about this and I just wanted to know what love for you?
HK-47:Definition:'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 12 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope...
Me:(sigh)Never ask a droid what love is...

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:56 AM »
Hey guys!

Sorry for the silence, been busy with finals  (almost done), but I decided to take a small break and do my black undercoat on my chest pieces! :)

So here we go! I'll be doing a gray coat maybe tomorrow, and then add some green patterns. Comments and suggestions are as always welcomed! I also decided too much of a heavy weathering as with the bucket.

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM by vezril » Logged
Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!