Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My WIP scratch build bucket

• 24 Replies
My WIP scratch build bucket
« on: Sep 25, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Hello! I have finally been able to print out that book of a template set for my bucket, going to work on getting the templates and copies cut out ASAP. Will keep the copies in case i screw up or need templates at some other time. Its so exciting I had to have tea to keep myself from making mis-cuts!
here is a picture of the stack of them kind of spread out on my coffee table.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:42 PM by SeaPanda » Logged

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: My WIP bucket (no progress)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2013, 10:34 PM »
Did you use normal paper or card stock? You'll have a pain in the shebs time with regular paper. I'd recommend, if that is regular printer paper, to have a practice run with it since you already printed it and then tackling the real deal with card stock.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2013, 11:27 AM »
I wish I had remembered that I had cardstock before I printed them... Yeah it would've been a better idea haha. The copying process, however, is going quote well! Thanks for the reccomendation, maybe I'll do that some time. I'll Mae as many spares as I can then ill do a first run through wth them.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2013, 03:23 PM »
I always print them on paper and then transfer them on to card stock by hand ;) Cut out paper and draw round it ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2013, 09:17 AM »
i don't know if it still exist, before printers and computers exist ... you had from the bleu inkt paper, you need to lay under the original, and than follow the line on the original with a pencil or pen, and you had than somekind of copy :)

Vardamir

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2013, 08:42 PM »
i don't know if it still exist, before printers and computers exist ... you had from the bleu inkt paper, you need to lay under the original, and than follow the line on the original with a pencil or pen, and you had than somekind of copy :)
                            cartridge paper its called in the U.K   personally i used the same method as Niabi

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Okay, I've it most, if not all, of the templates cut out. Found a bucket in my back yard to trace at least some of the templates to. Let's see how this goes (pictures to follow soon).

All cut out, seeing if visors match up!

May use these buckets to make the raised sections of the helmet.

Got the dome done! Took me so long to do it, longer than the rest of it.

Copied onto some old card stock and other strong papers & assembled!

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2013, 08:30 PM by SeaPanda » Logged
Re: My WIP scratch build bucket (updated 12/16/13)
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Okay so a slight problem: I'm not sure if the tape I'm using to hold tort her my helmet will properly hold when I fiberglass it. Any suggestions?
I'm considering getting glue if I can get out of the house & have extra money

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:56 PM »
hmm the tape may hold  :rolleyes: but personally i like to hold it together with Hot glue dots ;)

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Thanks! I'll look around to see if I can buy any sometime. Is there anything else you'd be able to recommend? Zoe I he tape isn't holdng entirely, I can't find any glue at all.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2013, 04:10 PM »
masking tape works quit well too ;) it holds pretty strong and when you glass it it just become part of the bucket ;)

best advise is tape it up just before you glass it ;)

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2013, 04:38 PM »
What Niabi said ;)

« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:53 PM »
That's great! I've got a roll or two of that around my house, I'll follow your advice, niabi (and drak's seconding of niabi's suggestion.

Algae198

• I'm not Boba Fett
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:46 PM »
I used clear packing tape for my scratch build. I was very pleased with how the tape held up.

There is one thing I've noticed in your pictures that I have a question about. Did you make your pink outer ring out of one sheet of paper, or several?

« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Which pink outer ring? If you mean the base, one piece. The helmet is just bent & needs better support.

Algae198

• I'm not Boba Fett
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2013, 11:28 AM »
When I started building my base, I transferred all the sheets onto poster paper and made them into one large sheet. Because the paper is heavy gauge, and only had to attach in one place, it gave me a really nice curve for my base.

If your paper model is super clean, you'll have a very easy time with laying your fiberglass down.

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2013, 11:41 AM by Algae198 » Logged
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2013, 04:32 PM »
Update: bucket now has more structure, added more cardboard & cheekbones. Used a ton and a half of

« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Update: bucket now has more structure, added more cardboard & cheekbones. Used a ton and a half of

That was my method (for my backup helmet) I've got them taped together for future helmet making. I like yours, how neatly they look put together. I traced over mine and so they have ink (I use a gel pen mostly when tracing over pencil) and some tears

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Looking good.

Dingo_Largo

• NorCal Freelancer
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #19 on: Apr 26, 2014, 02:03 AM »
Where did you get the templates that you printed out?

Dingo Largo
-NorCal Freelancer-
Wolves of Mandalore
MMCC #1377- WoM #32 - TC #50
Mando Rider #35 - B.o.B.B. #19
NDWO #39 - QMU #58 - GGG SL13770

Instagram - @DravensTotalCustoms
Facebook -DravensTotalCustoms
Twitter - TheDravenCorvus
« Reply #20 on: Apr 28, 2014, 07:46 PM »
I got them from wizardofflight over at the dented helmet
Heres the link http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/wizardofflight-others-boba-fett-helmet-templates-23195/

Re: My WIP scratch build bucket
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Important question before I start fiberglassing (soon, I hope). Would I need to use fiberglass mat/cloth while fiberglassing the inside of my helmet? I would like to know whether to buy more mat or cloth.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 02:31 PM »
Generally you just use resin on the outside and the Fibreglass on the inside only ;)

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Thanks Niabi! That will save me a lot of time and money! Off I go..

Edit: started fiberglassing today, pics to follow once I get some good progress!

Edit: I got plenty of progress, and I'm just about done with the initial fiberglassing. Made quite a mess too... Hope to get it sanded and fixed up so I can paint my helmet along with my wife's at the same time. Here's the pictures!

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2014, 11:13 AM by SeaPanda » Logged
« Reply #24 on: Jun 15, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Should have just made a new post... ^Progress!^

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!