Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My first WIP- Legacy Mando

• 14 Replies
My first WIP- Legacy Mando
« on: Oct 15, 2015, 12:20 PM »
Hey everyone :D  I've been planning this for a long time but I have finally started on a kit.  I wanted to do a legacy kit because i liked the fact that it was layered and it has better mobility compared to a traditional mando.  Hopefully it will be done by Halloween because i am going to take my little brothers trick or treating.  I'm not good at taking pictures of my work so most of the time i will just finish something and then post a pic for you guys after i'm happy with it.  Please let me know what you guys think so that I can make my kit better.  I want my mando to be an all round sort of guy who has can do a little bit of all the brigades.  My main color is Black, second is red, and third is a light grey.  I want my kit to look scrapped together as well.  I am going for armor that looks like it is made from several different armors if you get what i mean.  I will post pics soon of what I already have completed.  Thanks everyone ;D  sorry if i confused anyone :laugh: ;)

Update- 10/15/15

Helmet- 85%
flight suit- obtained
Rifle- 10%
Pistol- 10%
Chest armor- 30%  Some is cut out of plastic (not formed of sanded or painted)
Leg- armor- 40%  Most is cut out of plastic (not formed of sanded or painted)
Gaunts- 0%

Helmet

Sorry for the blurry pics :-[  I have a crappy camera.  Anyway, it is made from 2 five gallon buckets and a hard hat.  I used E6000 to attach everything together.  The paint is just walmart everything.  I used spraypaint/primer for a couple layers on the shell and then used water based acrylic applied by hand for most everything else.  The bolts are old erector set peices.  I wasn't sure if they were allowed but I liked them and it fit with my patched together theme.  I tried to make it look welded by using a bead of hot glue around some of the pieces as you can see in the last pic.  I just painted it silver after it hardened.  I have not weathered yet but some parts seem to have naturally worn down.  I plan on installing a mirrored visor.  Also I plan on a moving RF on the left (facing the helmet) and an antenna on the right.  I probably missed a few thing that I am going to do but let me know what everyone thinks :D

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2015, 07:04 PM by rocket119 » Logged
Re: My first WIP- Legacy Mando
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2015, 11:52 AM »
bump

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2015, 01:46 PM »
 Looks good so far!  I like your colors, and I am interested to see how your ideas come together. Do you have any shots of your templates, to check your sizing? Also, you'll want to cover up the rivets/bolts with paint, as they don't allow them to be exposed. Keep up the great work! I'll be following your build to see what you come up with.

OM#2144
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2015, 02:47 PM »
No template shots yet sorry I will have them soon.  I am using the drake legacy armor templates (i think).  So about the bolts, when I paint them should i just paint them in the same color of the section they are in?  For example, the bolt in the yellow stripe should be yellow and so on?  Thanks for the interest :D

« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Yup! The same color as the armor. You want them to blend in, not stand out.

OM#2144
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2015, 11:00 PM »
Alright that's not too hard :laugh:

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Actually Vode, on a legacy kit seeing your rivets and bolts is part of the aesthetic. Even the legacy comics reference images show the rivets stand out against the rest of the kit. So don't be shy and hide your hardware! Wear it proud and weathered like the rest of us!

Looks good so far!  I like your colors, and I am interested to see how your ideas come together. Do you have any shots of your templates, to check your sizing? Also, you'll want to cover up the rivets/bolts with paint, as they don't allow them to be exposed. Keep up the great work! I'll be following your build to see what you come up with.

The only time covering bolts and rivets with paint is required is when it's a standard style plate system simply because there aren't any references of plate attachment above the standard plates on a Boba kit. Legacy follows its own set of requirements. Not saying I'm not incorrect but last I checked my kit was approved with silver screws showing with weathering.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2015, 11:08 PM »
ok cool.  Thanks for the info ;D  That's good because I was going for a sort of scrapped together kit with lots of mods and mix ups  ;)

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2015, 01:29 AM »
Oops! My bad! I guess I've just seen it said so many times that the rivets/screws had to be painted, that I thought it applied to Legacy as well. I would listen to Bowfanny. He's a straight shooter that doesn't BS! Well....maybe a little BS!  ;)

OM#2144

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2015, 01:52 AM »
I BS but I don't steer people wrong on kit construction! Lol I like reading CRLs and things to stay current on my gear plus I'm one for the oooohhhh shiney bits! Lol and it's said a lot over on the normal armor section enough to drive us few legacy guys nuts.... Well a little more nuts but that's half the fun!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2015, 11:59 PM »
progress update yay ;)

sorry for the delay on the update

anyway  i have cut and shaped the thighs, cut the abs, and I think I have about finished my vest (i'm pleased with it anyway :laugh: ).  The terrible pictures are supposed to be showing how my armor fits but the mirror is kinda small (sorry)  the last picture is the cape I decided to make because i'm running short on time to make back plates.  Cod armor, and shoulder bells are underway, Sorry no pics yet.  If i have time I will go back and make new shins because i messed up the originals.  I plan on making a standard rope girth belt thing and an old belt the my gpa gave me from nam as an ammo belt.  I also have a cool messenger bag thing that I may use.  I purchased visor materials today so I should be able to put in the visor tomorrow.  I am still thinking about weapons.   
By the way, I do know that the abs and chest do not match.  I couldn't find my legacy templates but i kinda like the look of the modern chest so I thought I would just reshape a bit to fit the abs.  Please let me know what you think ;D ;)

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2015, 04:50 AM »
I'd take an inch out of the centre of the collar, pulling the edges closer to your neck, that should also line up the collar with the chest plates. Then trim the outer edges of the legacy ab to match the width of the chest plates. Then you'll just need to either trim the ab to match the chest prongs, or trim the prongs back on the chest plates. I've gone half and half on mine and have half sized prongs before the segmented ab. I'd definitely drop the bottom lame on the ab, it is very low, especially with the fett style top.
I do approve of the mixed look though. I might be biased on that, but it still counts :)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2015, 12:00 PM »
Will do ;)  thanks for the input

« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2015, 05:28 PM »
quick update everyone, Here is a pic of what I wore on halloween ;)

it's nowhere near finished but everyone thought it looked pretty good :D  As you can see I have finished my vest and mirrored the visor.  I still plan on legacy plates but I was running low on time so the one piece ab was a lot quicker :laugh:  let me know what you think ;)

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2015, 03:52 PM »
bump

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!