Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Cod Piece for Vezril / tutorial - photo heavy

• 10 Replies

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Cod Piece for Vezril / tutorial - photo heavy
« on: Oct 15, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Okay so about a year ago I got totally stumped trying to build the cod piece since then I have learn some tricks and have been able to make a couple for two local vode. Last weekend we had an armor party and I never got the chance to help show a new recruit, Vezril how to build one. So I thought I would photo each step and share it here.

Personnal disclaimer; this is not the way to build a Cod Piece, this is not the best way, this is my way and I still have a lot to learn. But if this can help anyone else out there who is at the same place I was one year ago, great  ;D.

To build this I used 3mm Sintra, 6mm Sintra, Expoxy glue, Epoxy putty, a heat gun, a utility knife, a ruler, a pencil, and Bondo.

First I started with the standard WOF Boba Fett templates, I only use the main piece and the upper "block";

I traced the main piece onto some 3mm Sintra;

Then I extended the lower area in this photo it looks like a collar for a dress shirt (in hind sight I shoud have made these more bowed out) then trace the upper "block" on, this will help line up parts later;

Now your sheet of Sintra looks like this;

Now I changed the angle of the top waist belt parts by moving the outer points up 3/4" then retrace new strait lines for the waist belt, it should look like this;

Then I cut the main piece out and I cut out the upper "block" from a piece of 6mm Sintra (I use a utility knife to get clean edges), you should now have these two pieces;

Now trace two new lines starting 1/4" out from the upper "block" lines that meet the corner of the cod peice, looks like this;

Now cut two "darts" one on each side of the cod ( I could have cut these wider I had to trim later), like this;

Heat your Sintra and bend the inner line on your cod back to create a 90 degree bend;

Repeat the other side and you should now have this;

After you have allowed the parts to cool, reheat and bend the waist belt parts back 90 degrees (this is why we moved the belt angle up 3/4" earlier otherwise your belt will be angled down)

Once you do both sides you should have somthing that looks like this;

Here is where I had to retrim the "darts" I cut earlier, this will allow room for the next step.

Next I cut two new "darts" kind of at the corners of the upper "block" rounded section, looks like this;

Now I heat the bottom up and bend it back until the cut outs all close up, I use the upper "block" on the inside to help keep the form;

So after all that I've got something that is starting to look like a cod peice;

Now I use Epoxy putty to fill in the gaps where the "dart" cut outs are;

Then I epoxy the upper "block" into place and let it all dry for a few hours;

Bondo all the gaps around the upper "block";

Then once it's all dry, I sand, 100, then 220, then 320, including sanding around the bottom return, I had to cut off quite a bit of excess and wish I would have added a more bowed "collar extension" so I would have had more to work with, oh well next time. So after cutting and sanding I get this;

Then a quick coat of primer shows all the imperfections and I got this;

Anyhow, thanks for looking. Vezril, I hope you like your cod piece  ;D

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Cod Piece for Vezril / tutorial - photo heavy
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2013, 08:28 PM »
That's a thiiiick front plate. But great tute!

Vez Nau'ur

• Bibamus, moriendum est!
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Looks awesome Tact! Can't wait to get it off you :D

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2013, 01:04 AM »
I've never seen this much attention paid to a codpiece...

That said, looks great.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2013, 02:56 PM »
That is awesoooooome vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2013, 03:05 PM »
Great work!  Definitely a lot of attention shown to this piece.  It looks amazing.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2013, 03:18 PM »
Thank you so much for doing this!

To any new members reading this tutorial, the shape of your armor makes a HUGE difference in the overall look of your kit.  When you have armor with dynamic and form fitting shape, it looks much more authentic than flat plates. 

One easy easy easy thing that will boost your costume to the next level is giving your cod plate and knees compound curves rather than leaving them flat.  Now that this tutorial is here and Tact showed you how to do this in about an hour, there's no reason to not have a cod plate that looks like this :laugh:

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2013, 03:39 PM »
Looks great, i prefer a cod to look like this rather than just a wee shapeless plate. I have had a vision of the codpiece in From Dusk till Dawn though lol Great work mate.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Looks great, i prefer a cod to look like this rather than just a wee shapeless plate. I have had a vision of the codpiece in From Dusk till Dawn though lol Great work mate.
THIS!  The cod plate must contain a secondary blaster.  Make it happen!

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Ha ha, I always thought what if he fired that, ouch! I don't think you'd fire it twice  :laugh:

Thanks for the nice comments and feedback, I really hope this can help someone.

Cheers

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2013, 12:44 AM »
Great tutorial! I think I'll be following this when I build one for my Tobbi Dala kit.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!