Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Mando Update 5/12/14

• 112 Replies

Naakoya Naast

• "Breathe deep, seek peace."
Re: First Mando Update 2/13/14
« Reply #75 on: Mar 16, 2014, 01:53 PM »
you are both welcome in my shop in Acworth to work on armor any time

Thank you so much! I really want to go to some kind of mercs event sometime soon...Lok Carid and his brother went down to Atlanta this weekend for the parade, but I had already committed to something else.  If we could all meet up one weekend to work on armor that would make my year.

You may find it helpful to know that if you are going for hammered plates, increase the size of your arm stuff by 1-3" of leeway because from start to finish the armour will change you...(asuming you put enough hammering in with the addition of planishing)

^truth.

You know, I'm trying to convince my crew coach to let me count my plate-shaping sessions toward my weight training workouts, but he's just not buying it!

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2014, 08:15 PM by Solus Raam » Logged
MMCC #1254

Profile pic by Rookie Roads Photography

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: First Mando Update 3/16/14
« Reply #76 on: Mar 16, 2014, 02:15 PM »
Maybe he will make it count retroactively

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #77 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Ok, I promised pictures and here they are!

and BOOM

Engraved chest diamond! Not quite done yet.

MMCC #1254

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #78 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Youll have to hammer the edges at the very least so they have a little bit of contour, it looks way better thanflat bent plates.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #79 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Youll have to hammer the edges at the very least so they have a little bit of contour, it looks way better thanflat bent plates.

Oh yeah, that's definitely in the plan.  Thin, flat plates look bad and unrealistic. Or I could avoid that problem by using 1/4" steel plates!  :P

For real though, your new beskar' is going to be all kinds of kandosii.

MMCC #1254

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #80 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:18 PM »
I'd us 3/8" Titanium if I could afford it the material and welding supplies  :laugh: , it's basically like ultra-light stainless steel-but since this isn't fantasy land and there are monetary limits I just used 7075 alloy so for now I'm happy with it  :rolleyes:

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #81 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Had a great time at BerryCon yesterday with Lok Carid and Lucas McCoy, y'all are awesome! My motivation is back up to 100%, now if only college would just work with me...

MMCC #1254

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #82 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:03 AM »
Also...couldn't help but notice how much taller than me Lucas is. Are any of y'all around 5'3" or am I just gonna be The Baby Mando over here? Any special armoring tips for short people?

MMCC #1254

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #83 on: Mar 31, 2014, 11:14 PM »
I'm 5 ft 4. If you happen to make it down to Florida, there are a few shorties down here ;)

E.M.T.S. #1 ~ Founder ~ Glitter Faerie In Chief

Get Elegant: Join the Elegant Mando's Tea Society

Official Invasions: 67

Various upgrades and whatnot

Dral Kar'ta (Dar's GlitterHeart)

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #84 on: Apr 01, 2014, 05:21 AM »
I'm 5 ft 4. If you happen to make it down to Florida, there are a few shorties down here ;)

In that case, I'll send the ewok costume back  ;)

Happy April fools day everyone!

MMCC #1254

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #85 on: Apr 01, 2014, 07:33 AM »
There's actually a social society just for those of less imposing statures... M5. Mando Mercs mighty mini mandos.  :laugh:

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #86 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Oh look, Naakoya's being indecisive again.

Been feeling a little homesick lately and it's making me lean back toward my Florida-sky-blue and sand-tan color scheme. 

Also, I got to thinking about it and I figure I should probably go for a simpler helmet design the first time around and hold off on the more elaborate Wolffe-inspired one until I have more experience (not to mention a workspace that isn't a 3-person dorm room).  New plan: make simpler, more traditional first helmet- possibly with elements from my original design (the mandibles or horsehair braid trophies) to make it interesting.

Just so it's clear, I'm very new to costuming, so I'm probably going to go through multiple materials trying to figure out what's going to work with my tastes and styles the best.  I'm playing with the steel, and I'll probably do the same thing with aluminum and sintra until I find what works. I'll post everything, because I desperately need feedback and advice, and you'll probably see some pretty cringe-worthy stuff before it's all said and done.  I'm here to try new things and learn how to do it right, not fast, and I spend a lot of time thinking things over and changing my mind.  I can tell you for sure that I'll come up with a lot of elaborate designs and ideas, but in the end I really prefer subtlety and minimalism- little details done the right way that give your kit character and life while maintaining clean lines that draw the eye and keep it from looking "busy." That's what I want to do.  It's just going to take awhile, and I'll need all the help I can get from you.

please don't throw pointy sticks at me when I come up with 5 more color schemes and change my mind 20 times.

UPDATE: everything I own is covered in bondo dust and the dorm room smells like chemicals.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 07:04 PM by Naakoya Vhette » Logged
MMCC #1254

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: First Mando Update 4/2/14
« Reply #87 on: Apr 04, 2014, 03:27 PM »
So much double posting my friend. Please try to update your posts if nobody else has posted.  ;)

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #88 on: Apr 09, 2014, 03:58 PM »
So much double posting my friend. Please try to update your posts if nobody else has posted.  ;)

So now that I know what "double posting" means... sorry Solus...

Update: Learning how to bondo.

Send help.

MMCC #1254

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #89 on: Apr 09, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Thank you! No worries we all had to learn at some point. Good luck with the bondo. Bondo is my enemy.

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #90 on: Apr 09, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Mix as directed and  make thin coats. I also suggest a mouse sander.

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #91 on: Apr 09, 2014, 05:46 PM »
I've gotten it fairly smooth, but the edges are being hard to deal with... I'm hoping that my dark paint scheme and shadowing will hide them a bit.

MMCC #1254

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #92 on: Apr 09, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Pics would help... :P

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #93 on: Apr 10, 2014, 02:04 PM »
Noes dont bondo your hammering marks!

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #94 on: Apr 10, 2014, 02:32 PM »
Noes dont bondo your hammering marks!

Don't worry dear, I'm talking about the poor rubies 1pc that's been sitting in my room for six years warping away.  James/Lucas said to replace the cheek pieces and glue in a craft ring to help it keep its shape so that's what I've been working on this week.

Still can't find that confounded craft ring though... :(

MMCC #1254

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #95 on: Apr 10, 2014, 03:15 PM »
I used some epoxy putty around the bottom of mine. What did you use for the cheeks? I put a 4sale sign, and it was real thin, so I doubled them by putting a second piece of plastic on em.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #96 on: Apr 10, 2014, 03:48 PM »
I used some epoxy putty around the bottom of mine. What did you use for the cheeks? I put a 4sale sign, and it was real thin, so I doubled them by putting a second piece of plastic on em.

I found a box in my dorm room made of that really thick, solid cardboard and used that...we'll see if it holds up, but it seems to be doing fine for now.

MMCC #1254

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #97 on: Apr 10, 2014, 06:43 PM »
cardboard as the outside? or the reinforcer? cardboard on the outside wont paint very well... :-\

Naakoya Naast

« Reply #98 on: Apr 10, 2014, 09:43 PM »
cardboard as the outside? or the reinforcer? cardboard on the outside wont paint very well... :-\

As reinforcement. Bondo on the outside, hence my complaining. ><

MMCC #1254

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #99 on: Apr 10, 2014, 10:06 PM »
cut up trashcan is a good alternative... just saying :) (i hate bondo, and will do anything i can to avoid it as much as possible. my first j2p helmet had no bondo at all. still looked boss  ;) )

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!