Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor Classes : Light, Medium, Heavy

• 144 Replies

Sithico

• Paint it, black
Re: Armor Classes : Light, Medium, Heavy
« Reply #100 on: Oct 13, 2017, 04:51 PM »
From what the list(s) say my planned armor would be a in between light or medium. Mostly will be Boba, but probably would have thigh plates, a gorget, and maybe a kidney plate. Would that be either or would it just be in the middle?

"Improvise, adapt, and overcome."

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #101 on: Oct 13, 2017, 04:56 PM »
From what the list(s) say my planned armor would be a in between light or medium. Mostly will be Boba, but probably would have thigh plates, a gorget, and maybe a kidney plate. Would that be either or would it just be in the middle?

If you don't fully have what is required as minimum for that armour class EG: missing shins/thighs for medium,  your still classed as the one you do meet the minimum requirement of in this case light armour.  ;)

Speeps

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
« Reply #102 on: Oct 29, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Soooooo the plan I’m looking at for my build will comprise of :-

Helmet, Upper Torso set, shoulder,
Bicep,  Gauntlets, Back plate, Cape, Cod plate.
Thigh, Knee, Shin, Boot armour and butt armor.
The only piece missing from making this the minimum heavy level is the Neck piece.

This is my first build too, so is it worth just knocking up something for the neck or just declaring it’s a medium level build BUT with extras?

;D

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #103 on: Oct 29, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Armor level classification really only matters in terms of qualifying for certain brigades, and it's good guidelines for pieces that go together, but being exactly on the line doesn't really mean much other than the above.

Speeps

« Reply #104 on: Oct 30, 2018, 03:19 AM »
Ah okay!

Cheers, Sep. Wasn’t too sure if it carried any real consequences being light/med or heavy.

Would Jaw armour, like Kara Kelborn’s, qualify as neck armour or is it more dog collar/neck shield like on a bomb disposal suit kind of thing that’s wanted?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #105 on: Oct 30, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Ah okay!

Cheers, Sep. Wasn’t too sure if it carried any real consequences being light/med or heavy.

Would Jaw armour, like Kara Kelborn’s, qualify as neck armour or is it more dog collar/neck shield like on a bomb disposal suit kind of thing that’s wanted?

Neck armor is what keeps you from ending up like Jango Fett
Jaw armor, would still leave you headless.  Don't be like Jango ;)

Speeps

« Reply #106 on: Oct 31, 2018, 04:16 AM »
....swishy - stabby thing blocker it is then!  :like:

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #107 on: Nov 17, 2018, 10:01 AM »
On that same note, would a gorget work in place of neck plates?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #108 on: Nov 17, 2018, 03:39 PM »

That would depend what you mean by a gorget - dependent upon which period and location you are pulling the term from, a gorget is just the top piece of the torso armour that we refer to as the collar and then another of similar size to the rear and will not cover any of the neck. Or you could be looking at some of the designs that have any manner of neck protections built in - some may be enough to classify by mandalorians standards, some may not. I advise pictures of the sort of design you have found, without them there can be no answer when the term used has such a wide range of designs.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #109 on: Nov 17, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Work for what? A custom build or for brigades. If brigades, as Kris said, get some references for your specific concept and ask in brigades. If for general custom, build anf enjoy!

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #110 on: Nov 17, 2018, 11:51 PM »
WHat I'm thinking is something along the lines of the high collar piece, like Thaxos has.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #111 on: Nov 19, 2018, 06:36 PM »
For a custom build, that should work fine.  For Brigades?  You'd need to ask the Brigades team.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Straka Zulu

« Reply #112 on: Nov 19, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Was just curious, possibly for a Mk.III...

Ryi Korle

• Cin vhetin
« Reply #113 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Okay quick question regarding kamas, now I know this has been asked before, however Kyria and I have been debating about this for the past few hours and I just want to set the record straight once and for all.

So, here goes. Are kamas (armored or un-armored) considered part of the medium class armor (or any class armor for that matter) or are they simply considered soft stuff/extra equipment or accessories and not taken into consideration when it comes to armor class at all?

Thank you in advance, sorry for having to repeat this question but better safe than sorry.

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade!

Vode mhi, Vode an.
Adol dha ca bal munit akaanir,
Mhi oyacyir ti kot.
Vode mhi, Vode an.
~ Poem I wrote. (words changed a bit in translation.)

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #114 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Okay quick question regarding kamas, now I know this has been asked before, however Kyria and I have been debating about this for the past few hours and I just want to set the record straight once and for all.

So, here goes. Are kamas (armored or un-armored) considered part of the medium class armor (or any class armor for that matter) or are they simply considered soft stuff/extra equipment or accessories and not taken into consideration when it comes to armor class at all?

Thank you in advance, sorry for having to repeat this question but better safe than sorry.

They are extras in medium armour doesn't require kama as its the same as Jango has in the films  ;)

Heavy armour can have them in armoured fashion for butt armour

This can be found in the description in the first post PLEASE CLICK FOR FIRST POST

Ryi Korle

• Cin vhetin
« Reply #115 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:12 PM »
They are extras in medium armour doesn't require kama as its the same as Jango has in the films  ;)

Heavy armour can have them in armoured fashion for butt armour

This can be found in the description in the first post PLEASE CLICK FOR FIRST POST

Thank you very much, I shall pass along the info

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade!

Vode mhi, Vode an.
Adol dha ca bal munit akaanir,
Mhi oyacyir ti kot.
Vode mhi, Vode an.
~ Poem I wrote. (words changed a bit in translation.)

Tal Choruk

• I'll appear from the shadows...as an OM....
« Reply #116 on: Jun 14, 2019, 03:47 PM »
So at what point does it become a Medium kit missing thigh armor rather than a Light kit with shin armor, for example?

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
« Reply #117 on: Jun 14, 2019, 06:20 PM »
So at what point does it become a Medium kit missing thigh armor rather than a Light kit with shin armor, for example?

If you have all the pieces for medium its medium until it gets all the pieces to reach heavy, till that time its light with additional parts.
It progresses up, not down  ;)

RC 1891

• Oya vode oya!!!!
« Reply #118 on: Jun 14, 2019, 07:05 PM »
Hey I'm curious about warp around armor. I want to do a heavy armor build and instead of individual plates I'd like to use wraparound. Would building armor like that stop me from becoming an official member?

My Kamino designation is RC 1891. My Mando name is Taler Skirata.

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
« Reply #119 on: Jun 15, 2019, 03:04 AM »
Hey I'm curious about warp around armor. I want to do a heavy armor build and instead of individual plates I'd like to use wraparound. Would building armor like that stop me from becoming an official member?

Nope, Look up Talos Kot, very enclosed but remember to keep it mando looking and not cross into stormie looking  ;)

RC 1891

• Oya vode oya!!!!
« Reply #120 on: Jun 15, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Awesome!!!    I really like the look of his kit and am excited to start on my own.

My Kamino designation is RC 1891. My Mando name is Taler Skirata.
« Reply #121 on: Nov 13, 2019, 03:09 PM »
This post is regarding the heavy armor class and recently released (or leaked idk) images of a "heavy Mandalorian" Black Series figure. This new figure comes from the new "The Mandalorian" series. I will post the images below with some interesting things I noticed. Just thought this would be good to post since it's a new design, and now canon.

Here we can see the full figurine and the extent of his armament. He certainly is a heavy Mando. It's hard to tell but he has a jetpack on his back and some sort of hopper for his belt fed blaster.

This image is actually my favorite because the box art shows particular detail on the helmet. (PS if anyone begins making these plz let me know)
The helmet looks a lot like the Mando Stalker helmet from NME props, but with the normal domed shape, and normal ear greebles. Although, it seems like there are some things attached to those greebles, one of them being a range finder. (I had originally posted the full box art, but I replaced it with a photo of the figurine/box itself. I'm not certain that the box art itself is meant to be shared yet, and I wanted to respect the artist. However, there are plenty of images around the net of the figure in the box so that's what I've chosen to post instead.)

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2019, 03:23 PM by andles17 » Logged

Jacen Rangir

• The safest place to hide is in sanity.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #122 on: Dec 07, 2019, 09:07 AM »
I think for point and purpose, duster and trench coat are interchangeable. The only difference is trench coat (heavier) is designed for military use and duster (lighter) is designed for riding horses. There a number of Mercs with long coats on the forums here. Jacen Rangir of the FireStorm Clan is an example.

I know I’m several years late to this, but I’m honored to be used as an example.

« Reply #123 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:06 PM »
I had already started a light armor build, something that would fit into an Assassin or Gunslinger category, how do I go about posting  pics to see if I'm on the right track?

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
« Reply #124 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:23 PM »
I had already started a light armor build, something that would fit into an Assassin or Gunslinger category, how do I go about posting  pics to see if I'm on the right track?

If you read first post it's a pretty clear guide.
Boba is light
Jango is medium
Full coverage is heavy.
If you have yet to gain minimal coverage to get next stage then you are still lower level.
Eg, jango without thigh plates is considered light still.

Posting pictures wise then you need to look at forum rules and guides.

Also look up local clan and post there,  they will help you and building with vode is far more fun than on your own  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!