Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Shaugi's Beskar'gam

• 56 Replies
Shaugi's Beskar'gam
« on: Dec 01, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Well it's about time I made an actual WIP thread seeing as the kit is about 80% finished....I think.  :laugh:

I've made up a set of plates which were painted and weathered...just needed the belly and back plate...but since then have been offered a set of Boba plates press-studded to a flak vest - by a guy with a similar build to me- for a half decent price. He's also thrown in a kidney plate and cod piece made to fit a gnome and a back-plate that seems pretty tiny and made from some oddly shaped shoulders.

So now I've got 2 sets of plates...which means I can make 2 kits  ;D

So the boba plates when I got them weren't in great condition...they'd been repainted and had vinyls slapped on badly.  The paint work was very cracked and had a layer of lacquer over both the paint and the vinyls.
So vinyls ripped off and a quick sand down let me basecoat them with silver.  I've only gone for a very light sanding so the cracks in the paint beneath leave a bit of texture behind as I want this to be picked up on when dry-brushed.

Today all the plates have been given a dose of latex and top coat then dry-brushed in aluminium and given a black wash.
The vest has been given a bit of dirt as has the collar and the whole lot has been put on the vest for a trial run.

The chest diamond looks too small for my liking so that will be replaced completely and the plates might need a few bits of velcro to help them sit better(especially the neck plate)....or I need to lose my growing belly.

Not the best pic in the world I admit...I've lost a tripod in the mess of my room somewhere lol

Comments and critique please.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Shaugi's Beskar'gam
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Well it's about time I made an actual WIP thread seeing as the kit is about 80% finished....I think.  :laugh:

I've made up a set of plates which were painted and weathered...just needed the belly and back plate...but since then have been offered a set of Boba plates press-studded to a flak vest - by a guy with a similar build to me- for a half decent price. He's also thrown in a kidney plate and cod piece made to fit a gnome and a back-plate that seems pretty tiny and made from some oddly shaped shoulders.

So now I've got 2 sets of plates...which means I can make 2 kits  ;D

So the boba plates when I got them weren't in great condition...they'd been repainted and had vinyls slapped on badly.  The paint work was very cracked and had a layer of lacquer over both the paint and the vinyls.
So vinyls ripped off and a quick sand down let me basecoat them with silver.  I've only gone for a very light sanding so the cracks in the paint beneath leave a bit of texture behind as I want this to be picked up on when dry-brushed.

Today all the plates have been given a dose of latex and top coat then dry-brushed in aluminium and given a black wash.
The vest has been given a bit of dirt as has the collar and the whole lot has been put on the vest for a trial run.

The chest diamond looks too small for my liking so that will be replaced completely and the plates might need a few bits of velcro to help them sit better(especially the neck plate)....or I need to lose my growing belly.

Not the best pic in the world I admit...I've lost a tripod in the mess of my room somewhere lol

Comments and critique please.
Chest plates and diamond need to come up and in half a hair or so.  Maybe a nice black wash?  Looks like a good start, otherwise.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2013, 05:26 PM »
It defo needs another black wash...Used up the last of my black on it already but barely got a covering so more is on the cards  :D

I'm giving serious thought to scrapping that diamond and replacing it completely....I'm not keen on it's size and it's about double the thickness of the rest of the plates.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:16 PM »
It defo needs another black wash...Used up the last of my black on it already but barely got a covering so more is on the cards  :D

I'm giving serious thought to scrapping that diamond and replacing it completely....I'm not keen on it's size and it's about double the thickness of the rest of the plates.
Yeah, it could use to be a tiny bit bigger.  A thick diamond does add some depth, though...

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:17 PM »
What are those plates made out of?

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:50 PM »
What are those plates made out of?

Plastic.
Best guess is ABS. They are too 'rigid' to be PVC.
Wht was being flagged up in your mind?

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:00 PM »
chest plates need to be brought closer to the center as well. Which will most likely cause a need in trimming the lower vertical piece of them, the "tooth" of it. might need to curve them all a bit more too.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2013, 12:28 AM »
Plastic.
Best guess is ABS. They are too 'rigid' to be PVC.
Wht was being flagged up in your mind?

They look flat and might need to be shaped more. Sometimes when plates are flat it's indicative of not approved materials being used. I just wanted to be sure  :)

« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2013, 02:51 AM »
Ok not a prob....I'll work a solution  ;)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2013, 01:32 PM »
yuuup they are looking very flat vod ;) you really want them shaped a bit to you body shape ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Have you got any concept pictures/colour scheme, trying to visualise beyond just the plates?

« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Have you got any concept pictures/colour scheme, trying to visualise beyond just the plates?

Hows this for a visual aid ;)

Really needed this shot so I can see it all together myself.
Ok...now what I'm not happy with...

A couple of press studs on the plates gave way...need stronger glue on them to hold them in place...hence the belly plate not sitting well at all. Standing straighter to the camera might help a bit too  :laugh:

Neck plate needs velcro on the vest at the top. The plate has velcro on but not had a chance to get some on the vest yet.

Boots look too new.

Gloves I'm just not happy with...the yellow leather needs to come off and be replaced...probably with cotton twill same as the boiler suit.

Bucket needs finishing...only had a coat of primer from Saz, a rub down, one layer of white and another rub down so far...I need some calmer weather as I'm spraying outside. (visor isn't fixed yet...just slots in nicely atm)

Back plate is going to be replaced by a cloak...I DO own a backplate but it's so damn uncomfortable to wear.  I've got fabric samples on their way.

Knees are on order from K'raam Xrati.
Gauntlets are coming from Talos Kot.

One last major point that bugs me. Belly. I need a sash or girth of something...oh and to lose some flab.  :laugh:

Over to you folks...What obvious glaring error have I missed?

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Here we go bud ;)

Shoulders could do with moving up a bit ;)

your plates are still looking a bit flat and are sticking out from your body a bit.

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ref Al'drann

« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2013, 02:49 PM »
Try wearing your belt higher. It will help you look taller and thinner.

« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Try wearing your belt higher. It will help you look taller and thinner.

Lol..I'm 6'2  :laugh: I'll give it a go though  ;)

Here we go bud ;)

Shoulders could do with moving up a bit ;)

your plates are still looking a bit flat and are sticking out from your body a bit.

Not a problem with the shoulder...I can reposition the studs on the back of the plate.

The plate studs are currently mounted on card that is mounted to the plate...I can lose that to pull them in a couple of mm.
Think more studs might help as well...the studs on the outside edges of the plates are miles away from the edge itself...I think that's why they are standing so far out...the centres are close in to the vest.

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2013, 04:21 AM »
Niabi got it, shaping would be a major one for me, they stick out al lot, shoulder bells bring up as they won't protect your shoulders very well there.
Also don't worry too much about gloves, gauntlets will hopefully cover them, if not bleach them white like the rest.
If you want a sash, make it a colour you don't have and can introduce more as your a blitz of red on white, maybe brown leather like your waist satchel?
Boots run over a but with high grit sand paper and/or armour them, shins will help bring in the baggy bottom of flight suit.
Have you thought of a cod piece instead of loin cloth? pending on how you make it they are not as restrictive as you may think, especially Jango style ones.
And PAINT THAT LID :laugh:!

« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2013, 04:28 AM »
I'm looking at a dark green for the cloak and sash...mainly to break up the red and white lol
Gloves have now lost the yellow bit and I'm planning to re cuff them with cloak material.

I thought bout a cod but don't fancy it...for the brigade I'm planning for I want to keep as much movement as I can.

I'll get a better pic of the satchel...you aren't the first person to guess its colour  :P its actually green canvas...its a refurbished Czech army bag that is going to be used for brigade stuff in the long term.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Well dark green might make you look a bit Christmassy... Unless you're going for that on this fine holiday.  ;)

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:52 AM »
I'd leave that belt where it is, holding the kama/loincloth and then add a sash over that and then a second belt with your pouch and such on it.

Moving the snaps might solve the armour sticking out, if not, you might have to look into bending it a little further.

A bright/dark green I'd recommend against, but the same brown/green as the bag, alongside a brown leather should go nicely

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:59 AM »
 :laugh: I'm the biggest scrooge you'll ever find.

The dark green idea is really to break up the red. I considered burgundy...but thats red still :P

Here's the current plan...

And the satchel...

The phials are labelled 'blood' and 'coagulant' transcribed in Mando aplhabet from Galactic basic.

Yup the long term idea is medic lol

« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Ok...Bucket has been hit with weather powders...Rust (orange), Iron oxide (red( and Chrome Oxide(green) and another dose of charcoal.  Visor is fitted, just need to finish padding it inside.

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:23 PM »
I love seeing finished lids, they always finish/start a kit off well and this is of no exception.
Simple and effective, nice  8)

« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:49 PM »
I love seeing finished lids, they always finish/start a kit off well and this is of no exception.
Simple and effective, nice  8)

Thank you, thank you. :)

Definately look into powders...I used humbrol ones. They are basically like chalk. Get a bit on a brush...I used my tired old dry-brushing brush (which I think was originally a cheap make-up brush) and blow it on. Anything you want a bit thick just brish it on and rub it in a bit and for bolt marks just a single hard puff with a lot of powder on the brush.
Total time for the powders was about 15mins  :laugh:

Wak'Rust Atin

• Twin Suns Clan / "Lady French Goat"
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Family events Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2014, 05:31 AM »
Your paint job is great ! I really like the weathering ...

Want to see the armor complete.  :D

Twin Suns Forum Board /// Twin Suns Facebook
MMCC#1042 /// QMU#50 // EMTS#113 // M5SP #11 // BEARDS #086
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2014, 05:34 AM »
 ;D

Strength is life, for the strong have the right to rule.
Honor is life, for with no honor one may as well be dead.
Loyalty is life, for without one's clan one has no purpose.
Death is life, one should die as they have lived.
Big things have small beginnings.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!