Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP on Mando medic - 501st member TR-12221

• 40 Replies

V-cell

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Family events
WIP on Mando medic - 501st member TR-12221
« on: Dec 21, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Hello everyone. I am working on a Mando medic/coreman. The bucket base is a Pre-Vizsla (Skirata arms) which I have now cut out, bondo'd and prepped for electrical connections. I have modified the antennae so they can accept 5mm 9V white/red LED lights. I will keep updating once I have sanded and primed the bucket and the pieces.

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: WIP on Mando medic - 501st member TR-12221
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2013, 03:50 PM »
I do Love that Bucket vod ;) Looking forward to seeing what you do with it ;)

I don't think anyone has put LED is the antennae before...should be cool to see  8)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2013, 04:45 PM »
I like this! Bookmarking this and referring it to someone for reference. It'll be interesting to see what this looks like when you're finished. Are the antenna supposed to beside of a flashlight or just for effect?

Cajun

• Strata Vekis - Ne'tra Vhipir Clan's Medic
  • Awards Dr Mando is the award for the best Medic in the Medic Brigade. Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2013, 04:51 PM »
Great start vod!

For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you...”
– Yoda

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Will they rotate? You'll have an issue with that unless you use hollow lighting hardware threaded tubes.

I don't think anyone has put LED is the antennae before...should be cool to see  8)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=65328.0

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:28 AM »
Can't wait to see what you do with this.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

V-cell

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Thank you for the kind words of interest and encouragement. Here are some potential answers to the questions that have been asked. I have drilled 1 inch holes to where the ears attach. This will allow me to pass the wiring with easy clearance but at the same time use the lighting threaded tubes (so as to prevent wiring entanglement). At the same time, the ears will have two positions, one facing up and another one with the antennae facing forward. To lock the position in place, I am planning on using rare earth magnets.

Function: The LEDs that were picked have a 20 degree view (basically you can see the light if you are looking directly at it). This means that they could be used for illuminating an area (similar to what the clones did in one of the chapters of Clone Wars season 2) while facing forward, or serve as a reference point if seen from above (think evac).

However, at this point imagination is the limit. Again, thank you for your comments and will post more updates after Christmas.

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Id recommend fully embedding the threaded tube into the center of the earcap then put either a countersunk and filler over capnut or a decorative capnut protruding from the surface of the earcap base, then for the attachment just use 3/8" fender washers on the inside and anti-seize grease between the moving parts. And have more than two points where the magnets contact for a strong lock in each designated position.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

V-cell

« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Small update. Helmet was primed with Krylon Grey Primer and given a coat of PlastiDip inside. A warning for novice members of the PlastiDip. Although I worked outside, used a paint mask...the fumes that are produced when using the PlastiDip are extremely strong. Be very mindful of safety when using this stuff!

V-cell

« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:41 AM »
Now, I've been doing alot of out of the box thinking when it comes to attaching the ears to this bucket. This is what I came up with: I attached two 4" Diamond Turbo Blades (one of each side of the helmet). Two reason for doing this, the saw blades are both steel (ferromagnetic properties) and have a nice hole in it's center. I will then use magnets on each of the ears, thus generating a surface that can be rotated easily and maintain it's position. This also allows movement of the electric wiring that will feed power to the LEDs in each of the two front antenna.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Interesting theory...if you tac'd a bearing onto a washer you could use it as the fastener if you rivet the washer onto the helmet or blade in some combination. For what it's worth the Viszla earcaps(or at least Jay Krayt's) fit perfectly in a 5" holesaw.

Fettski

• The Crab'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:07 PM »

Kevin from KWDesigns makes Season 4/5 Vizsla helmets as well and he has light up antennae on his vizsla costume. 

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - "Family is more than blood.

V-cell

« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:24 AM »
Update on the Mando bucket: after priming, a coat of Rustoleum Dark Steel, which was left to dry and then treated with toothpaste for future weathering/damage.

Then a coat of Rustoleum Gloss White. The smudges/peaks you see on the paint are caused when the paint comes into contact with the tooth paste. The left cheek will have a blaster scorch mark.

V-cell

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:59 AM »
After white coat dried, gave the helmet a nice sponge scrub under running water to check what would be the physical damage aspects of the helmet:

V-cell

« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Helmet was taped, additional toothpaste added and then the helmet was painted with Rustoleum Red Apple. I use a shovel as the "painting helmet stand".

End result:

Helmet is ready for touch-ups, weathering and some damage colors.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Thats some nice paint apps vod ;)

I  recommend hitting the bucket with some light passes of sand paper to give it some "life lived" scratches before you do a black / brown wash ;D 

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

V-cell

« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:32 PM »
Thank you Niabi, will do. Do you recommend a specific grain? This is my mando bucket...and all I have done is listen and execute every recommendation!

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:01 AM »
Thank you Niabi, will do. Do you recommend a specific grain? This is my mando bucket...and all I have done is listen and execute every recommendation!
I'd say 150-180 grit.  Just go easy with it.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2014, 02:02 PM »
a couple streaks of 80 grit works too...

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2014, 02:40 PM »
I like to use a bit of each grit from Low to ultra high ;)

V-cell

« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Bucket with ears on before weathering/damage process starts:

V-cell

« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Weathering/damage process starts:

V-cell

« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:08 PM »
Open to criticism, both positive and negative. This is my first bucket and I know there are a number of things I will have to polish. Your perspective is highly valued.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:11 PM »
That looks neglected and horrible.

I love it.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:17 PM »
You should put blood spatter on it...ever seen someone with a punctured arterie? squirts out like a fountain. Or maybe some blood sprayed from like a bonesaw or something....I just think of medic and being covered in blood x.x

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!