Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Wampa Horns - Tutorial

• 7 Replies

TrooperJasher

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions.
Wampa Horns - Tutorial
« on: Dec 24, 2013, 11:57 PM »
I made this set of horns for a Draugr helmet from Skyrim.. but since I found an extreme lack in tutorials on how to get ridges, and make them look like actual horns without tackling (or hunting) a ram and taking it's horns I figured I would post what I did to make mine. While they are not the best, and there are many details that are not picked up by the camera, they look darn close to an actual set of horns.

I started off with a base; there many ways to make a base... I chose pepakura, I found the file (over on the 405th) for free, the software is free, and the horns took maybe an hour to cut out and assemble.

I gave the interior a slush casting of resin (I used smooth cast 320, other resins will work), then Rondo (didn't feel sturdy enough). I then separated the horns from the helmet (this step is not necessary if you are just making the horns). I filled with foam (to make it sturdier). Applied a few coats of Bondo, and carved out a bit at the end and filled it in with Bondo, to smooth it out, and to be able to reattach them to the helmet.

I then glued strips of rope/string to the horn in intervals; keep in mind that an actual horn is not exact, it is not perfectly shaped, or whole... keep that in mind, you're not looking for perfection, your looking for flaws....

Since I was unsure on how bondo would react to the rope, or the how well this would turn out... so I used plaster to try it out and see how well it would turn out. I made the plaster the constancy of watery peanut butter... and liberally spread it across the horn, be sure to spread it from the base to the tip; it should look a little like this:

I then carved out a little on the base of each ridge...

I did two layers, once they were dry, and looking good I gave the plastered horn 2 coats of resin.

It does have a slight funky smell while it dries... and after it dries... it goes away once it's painted. I still have to paint them... so that part has yet to be written...

I figured that this would be most appropriate here, since trophies are an essential part of the Beastmaster kit. While this is meant for a Draugr helmet, they do look like Wampa horns.
Etsy Shop

Where you'll find the Legacy Y visor helmet, lock breaker and much more...

Kitala-Enby

• The Chest Diamond Collector
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Wampa Horns - Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2014, 07:40 PM »
I'm desperate to see how this turns out your stuff is great Jasher I look forward to the results.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
Master Thread.

TrooperJasher

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Tried out two paint schemes on the horns.... and found I like the one with the yellow base more than the tan-ish peachy color.

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2014, 01:22 AM by TrooperJasher » Logged
Etsy Shop

TrooperJasher

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Hum... Okay... This is pretty much genius. I am impressed.

I will be honest, when I saw that last picture on your facebook page, I thought you had cast a real mountain goat horn in resin... And painted it. Wow. Great job.
Umm thanks I think ....
Etsy Shop

ConDar Ward

• I can make that ..
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Hum... Okay... This is pretty much genius. I am impressed.

I will be honest, when I saw that last picture on your facebook page, I thought you had cast a real mountain goat horn in resin... And painted it. Wow. Great job.

Me to - Me To ! !   ... this is Awesome ! !   :P   Totally Blown away .... Great Work ...  ;D 8)
Live for today, because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come!
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267 M

Nemo

• Slow is smooth and smooth is oh so nice.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:40 PM »
That's pretty ingenious.

How did you come up with using the string like that?
Come fly with me, lets fly aaand hunt em dowwwn.

TrooperJasher

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2014, 11:45 PM »
I didn't want to carve into it... and that was the only style that I found; between that and everyone mislabeling antlers and horns (which they are different) which made trying to find any tutorials a pain...

After looking for honestly HOURS, exploring taxidermy forums (I now know how to repair antlers, and do some whitening on skulls), sites, and watching countless youtube vids... I saw a furry horn tut, she used yarn, but the horns turned out looking pretty bad, not realistic like what I was looking for... The rope gave it the smoother look I wanted; the furry also just wrapped it, and the yarn didn't stay in place, I used glue, and the scrap rope I had lying around the house.

Etsy Shop

jirt

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:02 AM »
these are freaken epic!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!