Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jirt "the wandering mando" WIP!!!

• 103 Replies

jirt

Jirt "the wandering mando" WIP!!!
« on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Hey guys finally sat down and started working on my 3rd build! THIS KIT WILL BE OFFICAL!!!! sorry for the all caps but I want to be an official mando merc this 2014.

I've been planning this kit for the past couple months and this is what I'm going for. Basically a heavy armored CQB mando but with flexibly (I want to be able to touch my toes and sit down and get up without looking like a turtle on its back). I'm also thinking about trying to join the jedi hunters brigade.

Starting from head to toe these are some of my ideas. Color scheme will have and OD green flight suit with black vest and bronze armor plates. Most of my accents and detailing will be in silver, but with some black and OD green so it all blends together with out the kit looking like it was pieced together from multiple mandos. The helmet will be a NME Props assassin (waiting patiently for it to arrive), personally I thought the helmet was badass since the first time I saw it. Looking around for a chrome visor along with some small fans, LEDs and a good battery operated PA system. Pretty much the whole 9 yards for my helmet this time.

The main front armor.

Along with the normal templates pictured above. I'm a huge fan of the over sized shoulder armor on one side. Kind of an up armor for the non dominate side. Also I plan on incorporating neck armor to the top of the vest.

Now the back armor will be slightly different then the solid piece. I'm looking at doing a multi plate system with jump jets at the top (pics on their away soon). Hoping to wire some LEDs in the nozzles to light up red with the touch of a button. along with some sort of side plates to protect my ribs from jedi sabers.

The arms will be full armored up with bicep guards, gauntlets and crush guants for my hands. I also have these sweet knobs I found that I want to use my gauntlets.

The one all the away on the right I want to use for a holo projector on the under side of my left gauntlet. once again maybe a blue LED in the middle too.

The legs will also be a little different then normal. I'm looking at doing a heavy solid boot with knee pads built in and another set of jump jets on the back of the calves. once there complete I'm going to see how they look with the kit and then design the thigh guards because IDK if I'm going to stick with the jango style for fear of the kit looking unbalanced. This also goes for the use of a kama (I don't want to look like I'm wearing a skirt in my kit)

Last but not least everyone's favorite weapons!!!! here is the link to my blaster build. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=69535.msg1053021#msg1053021 Apart from that I'm going to build micro missles into the gauntlets (maybe wrist blasters), a trench knife style vibro blade, the crush gaunts as previously mentioned, and a possible silenced hand blaster (they do exist in the star wars EU, the book "Allegiance") Apart from this I'm sure creativity will strike me again and I'll make something crazy awesome.

Well everyone welcome to my build! Looking forward to updating this thread with usefully and interesting information (with plenty of pictures and videos). Oh one important thing please comment. I want nothing more than this kit to be official my first time applying!

jirt

Re: Jirt "the wandering mando" WIP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:36 PM »

here's a quick photo of what I'm looking at doing with the back plate to improve mobility. the top part of the armor I want extend down to meet with the bottom of my shoulder blades and also where I will mount the jump jets.

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:52 PM »
Tape them up and post pics to check sizing.

Ashen Kelborn

• Awards 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Tape them up and post pics to check sizing.

Amen Echo and whats so wrong with the other 2 kits you made that stops them being upgraded/refined?

jirt

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Amen Echo and whats so wrong with the other 2 kits you made that stops them being upgraded/refined?

the first kit was never completed, it was costing too much money and wasn't turning out right.

The second is my profile pic. It was a lot of fun to build and turned a lot of heads at the philly comic con. But its made of foam gym matting which is not allowed in the mercs. Also the damn thing was ssssuuuppppeeerrrr hot and uncomfortable. I couldnt touch my toes and could barely sit down in the kit. I understand I could have fiberglassed over the foam and with a little modification I could make the plating fit the regs but once again time and money v.s. quality.

Hence the third build. Also this is the first kit I have done with the help of the mercs. I'm going to post plenty of photos along the way and welcome all critiquing! I'm going to be using PVC for the plating this time which is way more ridged but I'm building this kit to be flexible. I want to be able to sit down, run and even do burpees if need be.

jirt

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:26 PM »

as requested by echo the spacing! couple of things before anyone comments. I'm laying on the floor and had my wife take the photo (I had no tape in the house). The plates themselves are flat and not curved so they look alittle larger and the collar is too low which pushed everything down lower. I'm wearing and old flight suit which I plan on using for the kit and the balaclava is too cover my hideous face which makes even my mother cry.    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

oh one more thing is there anything against have a multi plate back armor instead of the single piece back plate?

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2013, 08:29 PM by jirt » Logged

TrooperJasher

• Let me freeze alone
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Sizing looks good, and like you said they are a little low.

No there is not anything against multi back plates

pinocchio

• The Biscalor
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:35 PM »

no there is not, build away sir

COMPLAINING DOES NOT GIVE YOU POWER, BUT CREATING WILL.

Ashen Kelborn

• Awards 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:51 AM »

As Jasher said they are a bit low as the collar plate needs to be right up against neck and ab plate needs to leave space for girth belt, sizing before bending I think you nailed it.

back plate wise you are so safe don't worry or the passed me by accident  :laugh:

jirt

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:01 PM »

pic of the shoes I plan too use. my shin armor I'm making is a fully in closed with ankle plates that will cover the exposed ankle plus I will be wearing black socks with it so there will be no bare skin showing.

jirt

« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:44 PM »
I was able to get out of the house today and get some more work done. first off the back plate templates came out awesome! A big thanks to my wife who helped me with some need measuring!

Here it is all cut out. I think once this is mounted it will give me some good mobility in the torso. once I get the front and back plates attached to the vest Ill construct some side plating.

YUMMY SANDWICH BREAK!!!!

I was also able to get my hands on some PVC and laid out my templates.

sadly after the first couple cuts my dremel burned up in a fire ball of death; so I must venture back to lowes and get a new one. I also got some good work done on my blaster today. all in all a good day of progress!

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Those shoes look a little on the lean side.  I'd suggest something with higher tops and a thicker, stiffer sole.

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:18 PM »
I don't know... your shoe idea is intriguing. if you're going for light armor those might work (at least in image). IF the approval team would allow them, I see them working well with a light armored sniper look - sneak in, shoot the target, and quick exit... for practicality, unless you're into that barefoot running stuff, I'd look into an alternate footwear for longer troops/marches.

on the other hand if you're planning a heavy kit, boots might be a better route... Im picturing a medieval knight in flip flops  :P

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:53 PM »
I don't know... your shoe idea is intriguing. if you're going for light armor those might work (at least in image). IF the approval team would allow them, I see them working well with a light armored sniper look - sneak in, shoot the target, and quick exit... for practicality, unless you're into that barefoot running stuff, I'd look into an alternate footwear for longer troops/marches.

on the other hand if you're planning a heavy kit, boots might be a better route... Im picturing a medieval knight in flip flops  :P
Gotta disagree, vod...

Quote from:  CRLs
Boots:

Combat/Utility boots are considered the primary accepted boot for armor.
    Labels and brand names should be removed or covered.
    Shoe-laces MUST be covered with armor or some sort of boot/ankle spat.
    High heels/stiletto female boots are not acceptable mandalorian armor attire. Platform, wedge, and chunky style heels are acceptable.
I don't think water shoes qualify, I really don't.  I mean, run with it, but...  I see them getting kicked back quick, fast, and in a hurry.  That, and Mandalorian armor is, by definition, on the heavy side of personal protection.  I think it'd look kind of ridiculous with shoes like those...

I mean, the ball's in your court, and I occasionally like being proved wrong, especially when it involves ideas that are on the odd side.

jirt

« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:12 PM »
these are the boots the fett wore for the film

granted his have a thicker sole and cover the ankle. I can see where you are coming from with the boots not being "tough" enough. I mean these are jingo's boots. which are just combat boots with a cover over the laces.

If my shoes do get kicked back, I have a pair of jungle boots that would work just was well.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!