Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Orange Scratch build WIP

• 34 Replies

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Orange Scratch build WIP
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:14 AM »
Lookin good Vod, I'll be using a kids tactical helmet that I got in a neat little kit from Walmart as the dome for my next scratch build. Except I'll be leaving the two front holes in tact fo forward facing lighting. Keep up the great work!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2015, 01:48 PM »
Shaped the stalk ear piece now, am just not sure if the lower piece should be a layer thicker of if it's ok.

Once the bondo goes on that will change the over all depth but am just not sure!

« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:25 PM »
Well for my first time working with P30 and P40, I have to say, other than it being tricky, it's been enjoyable!

Here is a rough stage am at now, need to further sand, then I think re-apply some more p38 in area's and then re-sand and possibly repeat a million times :)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:31 PM »
That's pretty good Vod ;)

Now get that nice and smooooth  8)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Been using my soon to be father in laws detail sander.

Sadly it died during the smoothing of this project R.I.P

I had to rush out with 20mins left of opening time at B&Q to get a replacement :P

Question!

The tight corners, getting the curved cheek sanded, am going to assume that's hand sanded?

As I thought about using the dremel but thought I might over sand/ruin it.

Also any tricks/tips for the slots on the back?

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Tight corners..... afraid it's going to be a case of folding fine grit paper into a triangle and working it by hand. I got round a lot of that by using a scalpel to trim sharp lines just before the bondo fully cured.
As for the slots, use a dremel cutting disc/routing bit to remove most of the excess then tidy up with needle files and folded sandpaper.
Great work by the way ;)

« Reply #31 on: Apr 29, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Am at the stage now trying to make the bucket as smooth as possible, whats the best way to achieve this?

I think I have read a few people state that they coated the bucket with primer which helps show any un-even surfaces.

Do you just then use more bondo or is there another product you use to get the finishing stages done?

Thanks!

Dillo

« Reply #32 on: Apr 29, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Prime. Wet sand. Prime. Wet sand.  Prime.  Wet sand. 

That's what I do.  After bondo I don't use less than 400 grit.  I use finer paper after each priming.  The last one I stopped at 2200 grit.  Use a block so you have even pressure.  The primer will show you your imperfections.  Get a spray bottle and keep it wet.  If you get build up on the paper, use a new piece as it can gouge your work.

This is what worked for me, but I am still fairly new so take it for what it's worth.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Can anyone help with primer/paint to use.

Loads of threads mention Krylon which from what I read is either difficult to get some of the range or cant be bought at all in the UK.

What is used by the average UK'er?

Am planning to stop buy Halfords/Hobby craft but would prefer to be confident in knowing what brand am buying :/

Thanks!

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 03:58 AM »
Halfords is the best you can use really. It's always best to stick to the one brand to avoid potential reactions and their selection is very good.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!