Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Early Crusader - Ne'tra Cuyan W.I.P. (very pic heavy)

• 87 Replies

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Early Crusader - Ne'tra Cuyan W.I.P. (very pic heavy)
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2014, 09:44 PM »
You just need to find that right balance with the paint. You want it to come across properly in pics as that's where the majority of people will be seeing your kit but, not overdoing it for in-person. I would suggest some dry brushing with a dark brown in the crevices to make the details pop. I do have a tutorial for painting bone from when I did mine you could check out to see what I'm talking about. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=32070.msg498141#msg498141

I also tend to agree with Hagen about the chest. While all EC's are very unique, the main look of the era is a single chest piece and the ab plate is usually fitted right up to it. Nothing wrong with trying a few different plate arrangements. ;)

You've done a great job coming from your all metal plates to bone ones. You should be very proud of yourself. Just few more tweaks and you'll be selling that bone look completely.

Ne'tra Cuyan

• Iba'ijaat cuyi bic ne'dralshy'a rohaka.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2014, 12:35 AM »
Thanks for commenting, Seugtai!
You perfectly recognized my problem, because people tell me it is too white, when they see pictures, but if one sees it live it already comes out pretty well.
I guess the dry-brushing method could help, but first I will make some pictures in natural daylight, maybe then it will come out more.

You've done a great job coming from your all metal plates to bone ones. You should be very proud of yourself. Just few more tweaks and you'll be selling that bone look completely.
This means alot to me, coming from the best example of a crusader-kit in the club :)

M.V.S. #35   P.M.S. #18   Q.M.U. #41

Ne'tra Cuyan

« Reply #77 on: Jul 07, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Oya guys!
The bonecarver is still alive and has changed a few bits and pieces of the kit.
Here are some app-style pics my vod Nirob made at the last con:

Front:

Chest plate went a bit lower and collar is raised, rivets on the top of the chest were replace with leather bands, also leather bands are now holding the armwraps and the new shinwraps.

Back:

Stayed like it was, but the backplate needs to be raised a bit, as it slipped down in this picture, also I will change it a bit because the crossing straps, which hold it could be misinterpreted as a swastika o.o

Left:

Belly plate is sticking out, will have to fix this somehow.

Right:

Need to get red of the chin-strap of the helmet, as it is strangling me if I close it and when I leave it open it's hanging out from the helmet and that looks stupid...

And two extra pics:

I decided no to do shins, because the wrappings are looking good like this, but I will make some knees.
So tell me, what are you thinking?

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #78 on: Jul 07, 2014, 06:29 PM »
I think shins would look better vod. Also, the gut plate is sticking out because you are slouching. If you stand up straighter this should fix that.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Carter

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #79 on: Jul 07, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Looking a lot better vode. I agree with the shins, it's very unbalanced in the armor department.

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Join The Mercs, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them.

Nirob

• What doesn't kill me dies.
  • Awards 40% increase or more Order of the Ori'Ramikad Force Hunter Brigade Member Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #80 on: Jul 08, 2014, 03:03 AM »
Not sure what the CRLs say about it, but I suggested to add some old fossil sharkteeth to the jaw of the bucket.

Ne'tra Cuyan

« Reply #81 on: Sep 18, 2014, 10:26 AM »
I'm still not dead, but the kit went somehow into hibernation over summer, because a lot of festivals, travelling and big portion of lazyness...

So on October the 3rd the next con will start and I want to get some work done, till then, most important of all is that I have to "clean" my shin-wrappings, they got a little pink (due to weird circumstances...)
second on the list is to finally getting a pair of knees, man I'm floating through the mando-business for over 5 years know and I never made a shabla pair of knees for myself  :-X

Today I made a little sketch about my ideas:

(Don't be confused by the colors, the red is just to give contrast, the armor will be the same bone-color as usual!)

The right one sits under the knee and covers the knee from there, it would be attached with the leatherstraps, which also hold the shin-wrappings, the curved lines are only for demonstration of the shape, there wouldn't be any lines on the finished piece.

The left one is positioned directly on the knee and I have no idea how I could attach it. It would be nearly round and with a thickend edge to give it the boney look.

So what do you think? Any suggestions?

Vorpan Kyr'am

• Kann man so machen,dann isses halt Scheisse
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #82 on: Sep 18, 2014, 02:54 PM »
Knees always good. I Reveted mine to some medical elastic Band. They hold up Pretty good. And vod...i Hope i am not totally wrong but your wrist wraps are a no go as of the current CRL Updates. You need some sort of Hard Armour on your forearms. Easy fix For ya i guess. Keep it going....You're close veeeery close 😜

Spec Ops Sniper/Force Hunter
Invasions

Ne'tra Cuyan

« Reply #83 on: Sep 18, 2014, 03:19 PM »
As far as I understand it this falls under
Forearms must be fully covered by one of the following:
Fabric wraps from the wrist to at least 3/4 up the forearm. Wraps must be of high quality. Acceptable styles of fabric wraps are those worn by, but not limited to Tusken Raiders, Kaleesh, and Quinlan Vos.

More of a problem would be, that elastic band isn't allowed for the early era, only leather I guess.

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #84 on: Sep 18, 2014, 03:49 PM »
As far as I understand it this falls under
More of a problem would be, that elastic band isn't allowed for the early era, only leather I guess.

The wraps are ok for an Early Crusader under the latest CRL change.

You could use the elastic on the knees. You would have to run it on the inside of your flight suit so it isn't visible. Two slits in the pants leg and run it through the inside and you will be good to go.

Carter

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #85 on: Sep 19, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Or you can use elastic and then cover it in leather.

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Join The Mercs, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them.

Vorpan Kyr'am

• Kann man so machen,dann isses halt Scheisse
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #86 on: Sep 19, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Velcro on Flightsuit And knees + elastics. You Can also cover them With Tiny Sintra Pieces.

Spec Ops Sniper/Force Hunter
Invasions

Ne'tra Cuyan

« Reply #87 on: Sep 11, 2016, 09:22 AM »

The EC is back on the workbench again!
After the last con where I wore it I kinda retreated from mando business due to personal issues, but one year ago I came back and finished a modern kit, with which I became an official member. Now I decided it's time to upgrade my early crusader from just nice to approvable!
First step for this is a pair of knees I made for the armor, here they are:

In the raw state:

And finished version including a trophy tooth I made from left over bondo:

Nest step is attaching them and improving my harness, which is a bit too flat, for my body and to look boney. Also I need to do some work inside the helmet to make it more comfortable to wear.
Oh, I also have to repair my spear, which got damaged.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!