Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

my first kit

• 16 Replies
my first kit
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:07 PM »
hey guys I just have a question on my first kit can I use flannel for my vest

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: my first kit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:14 PM »
I hope you mean the fabric without the boxy pattern.  :laugh:  It should be ok as long as it isn't too fuzzy.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:49 PM »
yea I wasn't going to use that boxey pattern.

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:58 PM »
It really comes down to what the fabric itself looks like. So use your best judgement or get some close up pictures of the fabric in question and send it to an APP team member.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:17 PM »
hey guys I just have a question on my first kit can I use flannel for my vest
What, like a lumberjack Mando?  That sounds awesome, but no.

If I remember correctly, flannel has a bit of give to it, which is an automatic no-go.  Stick with the basics- canvas, duckcloth, leather, pleather, marine vinyl.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:47 PM »
wait is flannel made of fleece I mean that

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:05 AM »
Again, stick with duckcloth, leather, marine vinyl, that sort of thing.  What's this fascination with flannel?  And fleece?  No.  If it has any give to it, it cannot be used for a vest.

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:40 AM »
put the huge roll of flannel away, listen to Echo, he's the man that knows  ;)

Wez

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:03 AM »
How about denim?

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:23 AM »
How about denim?

Can you not get hold of what Echo highlighted or are you just trying to be different to evryone else?

Wez

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:46 AM »
Just a question, that is all, not trying to be different. The Walmart has a fabric section, that is the toughest looking material there. Unless they have some canvas, like Echo said, or leather type material.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Flannel may look sturdy to begin with, but the first time you wash it the weave loosens and you're done. I don't know that it would have the strength to hold your armor properly either. Keep in mind that these folks have been doing this a while, have suffered failures and are only trying to save you grief. ;) If you don't have a fabric store near by look and Walmart's your only choice, looks at their web site, they do free in store pick-up to save shipping.

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2014, 02:28 PM »
(L)isten to Echo, he's the man that knows  ;)
I can't deny the truth, vod. :D

Epyon Ca'tra

• “As you think, so shall you become.” - Bruce Lee
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:42 PM »

Fleece is even stretchier than flannel, that would be a poor choice of vest material due to it's inevitable sagging.

If you can, don't limit yourself to buying all your soft goods at Walmart. Look around town (if you are close to town) and find the fabric shops and stuff. Much better variety, and help a swell. Or get a vest made by any of the fine vestmakers we have hear on the boards.

"Swift as the wind, silent as the forest, fierce as fire, immovable as a mountain..." -The Furinkazan
MMCC #929, SVC #55, E.M.T.S. #93, T.A.S.K. #7, Kilted Mandalorian Brigade #3, GH #8, MTS (Mando Tough) #32, B.E.A.R.D.S. #43, K.O.M.S. #29
Armor WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=68775.0

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Just a question, that is all, not trying to be different. The Walmart has a fabric section, that is the toughest looking material there. Unless they have some canvas, like Echo said, or leather type material.
Try going to Jo-Ann's fabric, or order the fabric online.  There's also the option of buying you vest from someone off the boards.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Moved to Soft Parts section for relevance.

Wez

« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Thanks Echo. I have no problem finding the materials here in NJ. Just throwing the denim question out there. It is durable like canvas as you suggested. Beside Walmart, got Michael's, AC Moore and other places.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!