Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mix's NME Mercenary 2.0 Build (pic intensive)

• 39 Replies

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
Mix's NME Mercenary 2.0 Build (pic intensive)
« on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:42 PM »

I was able to purchase one of these from NME props back in December of '13.  I went with NME because I felt they captured the overall shape of what I wanted in a Mando bucket.  Well that, and I'm not nearly handy enough to make my own of such good quality!  So, here we are in early February when it arrived in the mail.  After admiring the shape and craftsmanship,  I got to work... 

Dry fitting to make sure everything fits and no surprises for later... 

A bath to remove some of the release agents from the casting process.  Don't judge the dirty sink, this is a work-space after all.

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2016, 08:23 AM by Mix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
Re: Mix's NME Mercenary 2.0 Build (pic intensive)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2014, 05:57 PM »

I VERY CAREFULLY cut out the key slots for that much needed ventilation!

Primed to see some of the imperfections which were few and far between.  The NME guys do a good job of cleaning these things up before they send them out.

T visor has been cut out also VERY CAREFULLY.

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2016, 10:46 AM by Mix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:46 PM »

After some light sanding and visual inspection for problem areas, I coated the helmet in a bright silver for the base color you will see through the scratches.  Besides, seeing "metal" is better than seeing the tan resin material!  Also, you can't see it, but I'm working on the ear caps, antennae etc... as well, just not taking pictures specifically of those parts.

The next day, after letting the silver set, I added a coat of gray for my scratches on top of the silver for a nice layering effect.  Interestingly enough, I considered using a pale red like the Germans used as the primer on their WWII tanks, but decided against it after finalizing my color scheme.  I used Gunze Sanyo masking fluid from Mr. Hobby for the scratches.  (I also make little model tanks and this stuff is great for doing camouflage patterns, hence the trivia above.).  Using a tooth pick and my finger nail, I was able to pick off most of the masking fluid to get the desired chipping weathered effect.

Waiting another day, to let the gray primer coat set, I painted my base color green on the dome and face.  You can see some of the masking fluid drying on the chipped paint. 

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:52 PM »

Cooking up some Ewoks and Gungans.  Masking for the painting of the face etc...

I wasn't sure how much I would like the lighter green on top of the darker green, but in the end, I believe it was a winner.  (Can you tell that I like green?)

Here we are with ear caps and antennae attached.  The antennae side is a tan color, which I'm going to use to accent my armor later, and the other side is just gray.  I liked the mismatched aspect of it.  The yellow tape is Tamiya masking tape to clean up a few lines where the black meets the dark and lighter green.   

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:14 PM »

Some of my earlier pictures weren't exactly detailed enough so I tried to get some better ones.  That bottom piece will be cut out once I receive my green mirrored visor from Seragon.  Also, there will be more weathering in the form of washes, light buffing, etc... to give it that lived in look. 

Please feel free to voice comments, concerns.  I am very pleased with how it turned out for my first go at a good bucket.  I will, of course, post here once I do some more weathering and post visor placement.  Thanks for looking!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:36 PM »
nice paint job. Is that masking still there for a reason?

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Mi'ix

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Yes, indeed.  I wasn't quite happy with some of the lines so I'm going to take my airbrush to it and remedy that.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Ba'kuri

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:54 PM »
Amazing Vod! Love the colors :o

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Great stuff vod ;)

Id recommend hitting the bucket with some light passes of sand paper to give it some "life lived" scratches before doing a black / brown wash ;D 

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2014, 09:28 PM »
What Niabi said, the end result of sand paper scratches are a great addition to paint apps on kits that commonly goes overlooked.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Mi'ix

« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Thanks, guys. I will get on that and post the results!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Muscle

• Live for the hunt
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Very nice love the color

Dargo Jo'Rae

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2014, 01:36 AM »
Loving the colour scheme! Reminds me almost of Gree, at least once that visor gets in that is   ;)

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2014, 02:03 AM »
I always love seeing people apply their scale modeling experience to kits, always gives it an extra bit of authenticity I think. Keep up the good work!

Mi'ix

« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2014, 12:35 PM »

Here she is with the visor from Vexa Seragon.  It hasn't been attached to the helmet yet, as there is some painting and weathering to take place, but you get the idea.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Nice  8)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ba'kuri

« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:21 PM »

Here she is with the visor from Vexa Seragon.  It hasn't been attached to the helmet yet, as there is some painting and weathering to take place, but you get the idea.

Sharp..very sharp my friend. You are well on your way

tk2280

• 1st Official Kal Skirata of the Mercs & 501st
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Looking good! 

--- STILL THE LOWEST PRICED SINTRA ARMOR ON THE MERCS ---
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19763.0

Dynas

• "You can run,but you'll only die tired." Boba Fett
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Looking good. Love that visor. I too just got my NME in this weekend and will be going through all these steps. How did you attach your rangefinder? Bolt and nut and washer? If so what size?

Mark II
Upgrades: Jetpack: 100%  Blaster Rifle: 25%  Chest Lights: 75%  Knife: 100% Spats: 100% Double Sleeves: 100% Flamer Hose 100% Jetpack Harness Upgrade: 100% Dull coat Yellow Paint 100% Helmet Fans: 100%

Career Invasions: 13

OM #874     M.A.N.T.A.     M.A.B.E.L #44

Jaden Katrell

• Rider of Gorvo
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Got my helmet pads today. Hope to have a helmet (NME Merc 2.0)  to put them in within the next 2-3 weeks.

How did you attach your rangefinder? Bolt and nut and washer? If so what size?

I too would like to know this.

B.E.A.R.D.S #068 / QMU Supporter / TPS #12 / K.O.M.S #031 / IT-Mando Society #2

Alor'ad: 8/'15 - 2/'17
Ver'alor: 11/'14 - 8/'15
Ruus'alor: 9/'14 - 11/'14

Mi'ix

« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:03 PM »
I orginally was going to use the bolt, washer, and nut method Ba'kuri demonstrated, but I did not feel comfortable separating the part where the antennae swivels up and down.  I'm not sure if NME sends them out like that, but his looked as if it came in two pieces whereas mine was already glued together.  So, I just used the pieces I was given with the helmet and everything turned out well.   

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Epyon Ca'tra

• “As you think, so shall you become.” - Bruce Lee
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2014, 02:06 AM »
The green mirror visor is setting it off for sure, that bucket is a piece of art!

"Swift as the wind, silent as the forest, fierce as fire, immovable as a mountain..." -The Furinkazan
MMCC #929, SVC #55, E.M.T.S. #93, T.A.S.K. #7, Kilted Mandalorian Brigade #3, GH #8, MTS (Mando Tough) #32, B.E.A.R.D.S. #43, K.O.M.S. #29
Armor WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=68775.0

Dynas

• "You can run,but you'll only die tired." Boba Fett
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:37 AM »
Got my helmet pads today. Hope to have a helmet (NME Merc 2.0)  to put them in within the next 2-3 weeks.

I too would like to know this.

I was wondering the same thing. The Plastic "nipple" that comes with the range finder seems to work. I will try this as well.

Mark II
Upgrades: Jetpack: 100%  Blaster Rifle: 25%  Chest Lights: 75%  Knife: 100% Spats: 100% Double Sleeves: 100% Flamer Hose 100% Jetpack Harness Upgrade: 100% Dull coat Yellow Paint 100% Helmet Fans: 100%

Career Invasions: 13

OM #874     M.A.N.T.A.     M.A.B.E.L #44

Mi'ix

« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:15 PM »

Here we are with some weathering.  I had to do some touch up with my airbrush on the black part of the cheeks, and I hit the bare metal parts with a couple passes of the airbrush to bring down the brightness of the aluminum. 

As always I appreciate your comments, suggestions.  Washes anyone?

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2016, 10:45 AM by Mix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Really like how the weathering has turned out thus far, definitely hit it with a wash or two for some lovely grime.  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!